Subject: Let's exercise some judgement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Donald Trump has attempted to make a mockery of our national election system, and he succeeded.

I believe it is time for the electoral college to exercise some judgement, and I cannot imagine a scenario where there is a more valid reason for the electoral college to exist.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/the-one-scenario-that-could-sti...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't happen - it shouldn't happen.

Any president in office that way wouldn't be legit, the correct way to do things is reform or abolish the EC if that is how you feel.

Hilary was happy to play under the current system\rules and she lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

Any president in office that way wouldn't be legit, the correct way to do things is reform or abolish the EC if that is how you feel.

Wrong.

It's in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes but it would mean your a lame duck and cause serious damage to the OFFICE of the president the incumberent can come and go but people have to trust the intergrity of the office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

Who cares how she feels about it?

This isn't partisan politics. I think a lot of people freaking out right now would be okay if you replaced Trump with any of the major GOP candidates with the exception of Cruz. This isn't about hating Trump. This is about the safety of the nation and world.

A Dem voter here in RSP told me I should just breathe and calm down. I served as an Intel Analyst when the Soviet Union still existed. With Trump's attitude toward Putin, asking me to calm down is like telling me to chill out and sit back in my recliner as I hear the bowl of a tornado in the distance.

The man is unfit. The man is a threat to western democracy. If the EC can't step in in this situation then they have no fucking right to exist.

There are thousands of conservative military, intelligence and political leaders who said the exact same thing about Trump being unfit before he was elected. The electoral process does not change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
yes but it would mean your a lame duck and cause serious damage to the OFFICE of the president the incumberent can come and go but people have to trust the intergrity of the office.

Right on man!

but what about the rules? we are all here for rules, am I not correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
growlley wrote:

Right on man!

but what about the rules? we are all here for rules, am I not correct?

I'd love to see it happen, maybe it would result in abolishing the EC and moving to a popular vote. If the EC can't choose to vote for a president who won the popular vote, wtf is the point of it?

[edit] Also, I agree, it is 100% legal to do it, anyone who did it would be operating within the constitution, doing exactly what they are legally entitled to do as a member of the EC. In any case, it isn't going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
because in trying to save democracy - you throw the baby out with the bath water and the people who voted for Trumps what option would that leave them? Ok aye they may be slightly less than half the people who bothered to vote but democracy isn't for you?

You kill the democratic system dead over night.

Edit yes I agree from his performance the man is unfit though I suspect we would not agree on may other political matters. However Thisbattle is lost, there are many more to fight in the comming days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't happen. Personally, I think if there is to be an EC, the electors should be completely bound to vote for the candidate they were associated with. EC is undemocratic enough without an additional layer of crap that lets electors change their minds.

But better would be to get rid of the EC entirely and go to direct popular vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
because in trying to save democracy - you throw the baby out with the bath water and the people who voted for Trumps what option would that leave them? Ok aye they may be slightly less than half the people who bothered to vote but democracy isn't for you?

You kill the democratic system dead over night.

Edit yes I agree from his performance the man is unfit though I suspect we would not agree on may other political matters. However Thisbattle is lost, there are many more to fight in the comming days.

The Electoral College exists for a reason. I would like to talk about the Electoral College.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb

This forum is the last place where I would use this thread title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the Electoral College exisits for two reasons

A) practicality - back when you formed your system ,communications wern't up tp the task of one man one vote for the physical size of your country.

B) your venerated Elite founding fathers didn't trust the plebs and didn't want a democracy for this very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Donald Trump has attempted to make a mockery of our national election system, and he succeeded.

I believe it is time for the electoral college to exercise some judgement, and I cannot imagine a scenario where there is a more valid reason for the electoral college to exist.

I prefer a peaceful transition. The 47% have spoken and the 53% should listen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kruse
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

B) your venerated Elite founding fathers didn't trust the plebs and didn't want a democracy for this very reason.

if the electoral college cannot stop a narcissistic demagogue from winning in this specific instance, it should probably be abolished
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:

This forum is the last place where I would use this thread title.

I know, right? I waited for you to do it, but we are on a deadline. It's December 19 as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari
United States
California
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
How did he attempt to make a mockery of the system? He won according to the rules. If the rules also say that his presidency can be overturned by another rule then they should use it as we know he would've if the tables were turned.

Personally, I feel he should be allowed to keep his win no matter how reprehensible he may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Do people seriously not understand what the electoral college is for? Public education's in a sad state, I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Captain Coconut wrote:
Do people seriously not understand what the electoral college is for? Public education's in a sad state, I'm afraid.

People, in particular the left and progressives, are very much like toddlers who want a toy at the grocery store. If you give them every thing they want, when they want it, no matter the cost to you, they're momentarily happy. But the instant they spot either something new and shiny or someone else enjoying themselves they start throwing a tantrum.

Hillary lost the fucking election because there were more people who live outside the urban liberal East/West corridors who wanted Trump than wanted her. It's been two solid days of baby fits and people clutching each other and alternately seeking out safe spaces, falsely reporting hate crimes or actually corralling and beating the shit out of old white men because they are white. What a bunch of total fucking pussy's - and not the kind of pussy's Trump would grab, the kind who are disgustingly and pathetically weak

You dumb fucks want to abolish the EC for one reason - there would never again be another non-progressive president. Ever. Which is exactly the reason it's in place - to stop the bullies who cluster and live in each others faces in the urban centers from demanding every other person do their bidding. Fuck off I say. If that dumb old criminal cunt had won the EC votes you'd be crowing and cooing about what a sweet system the EC is.

Fucktards. We got Trump, for better or worse and I'm pretty happy we have that dirtbag rather than that fucking sociopathic skanky mobbed up granny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Trump didnt make a mockery of the electoral system. He played within its paramters and won fair and square. As the OP article points out it means people going rogue, i.e. they are supposed to do one thing and then do another. The people who voted for Trump put the elector in that position so he would do what he said he would - having him go rogue is what would make a mockery of the electoral system.

I concur that the electoral colleage system is anachronistic as is the whole primary system which allows an outsider to hijack your party, however thats just the way the system is. We are on BGG here how many games have you ever lost because the rules worked against you when (you feel) they shouldnt have? Its just a tradeoff you have to make when you set up a system - any system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine the reaction if Clinton had won the electoral college and it was suggested that the result be overturned by the proposed method? It's exactly that kind of hypocrisy that fueled Trump's campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
angry Proprietor of "Fashionable WHITE-angst Male":~"The customers/voters are always an ASSHOLE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

People all over the world are up in arms about the Tuesday result. This is dangerous for everyone. I signed this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/electoral-college-electors-electora...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't happen. I'd be nice to see a few go faithless as a protest, but that's about it.

The end result of this would be Hillary as president. Why would the repubs go for that when they could use the 25th amendment to get rid of Trump and put Pence in? And Trump may realize how far out of his depth he is and cling to the party and it's advice like the drowning man he is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Electoral College is a vestige of the Federal System...
...the collection of Sovereign States...
thus, Dope in California, etc. and availability of abortion in other states.
and, at first, Gay marriage in Massachusetts

Still, subtracting "small" states [with their 2 "senatorially" proportioned electors] Clinton got...
from small states Trump got...
Trump got 40 extra 'non-proportional-to-population' Electoral votes.

But, there's Dope out on the West Coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.