Mombasa» Forums » General

Subject: Mombasa vs Indonesia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Craig
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The descriptions sound similar. For those who have played both, are they close in mechanic and game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't really similar at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not similar in my opinion.

Indonesia is a very straightforward "business" game where you produce, transport and sell goods. You can also invest in your companies and merge them with other companies.

Mombasa is a Frankenstein game with a whole bunch of mechanics sewn together to simulate I don't know what. It has just about everything: worker placement, action selection, point salad, area control, special actions, set collection, hand management, etc., etc.

Guess which one I prefer..... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indonesia is a six hour train wreck with endless downtime and a board and components that obfuscate the hell out of some great core mechanisms, most of which have been perfected in the infinitely superior Food Chain Magnate.

Mombasa is completely different and absolutely delightful: smooth and clear with plenty of variety in setups. I highly recommend both FCM and Mombasa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both awesome and completely different games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
Indonesia is a six hour train wreck with endless downtime and a board and components that obfuscate the hell out of some great core mechanisms.

Six hours? Endless downtime? Yeah, that is a feature of your group not the game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
Both awesome and completely different games!
+d10-1

P.S. Indonesia is definitely longer than Mombasa but it is not a six hour game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibly different. Indonesia plays like no other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the closest you could get, kindasorta, to Indonesia would be an 18XX game.

All splotter games are well crafted games with mechanisms either unique or refined in unique ways. Splotters are always involved games, rewuiring forethought and planning even moreso than the standard euro. They tend to lack 'pivot' mechanisms that are put into other games that let players recoup after intial misplanning. This is a feature, not a fault. Splotter makes you earn your score.

Mombasa I played a whole one time. It was interesting, but concerning in some ways. The hand management/czrd reclaiming is mildly obtuse and confused two other players. The deck building aspect feels limited because there are so few turns in the game. The 'bookkeeping' track is... odd. I've read other places and witnessed in our gsme thst it just isn't worth investing heavily into, too much work for too little reward.

I would play Mombasa again, but feel zero need to own it.

Indonesia reprint is on it's way over from Europe along with the Great Zimbabwe reprint, bringing total number of splotters I own to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
doctoryes0 wrote:
Indonesia is a six hour train wreck with endless downtime and a board and components that obfuscate the hell out of some great core mechanisms.

Six hours? Endless downtime? Yeah, that is a feature of your group not the game. whistle

Maybe it was four that felt like eight and I split the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Craig
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thank you to everyone for your replies and perspectives. This forum never disappoints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bijan Ajamlou
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indonesia is an old game, it taxes the player with a huge amount of micro calculations and that drags down the game despite other great mechanism.
Mombasa is one of my favorite games. recommend both, but Indonesia wont hit the table more than one time every second year since its long and fiddly and taxing on the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.