Subject: Double Barricade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm playing a 2-player game of MoM: 2nd Edition and we just got ourselves confused. My investigator barricaded a door, and then later in the same phase, my fellow investigator used her 2x4 on the same door. (Truthfully, we had never flipped the card and had no idea what it would do. We had a hunch but didn't know it would say it functions exactly as a barricade.) I don't see any mentions of double barricades online or in the rules, and we can't figure out how to resolve:

A) We forfeit her action but she keeps 2x4 in hand?
B) We get a refund on her action?
C) The action happened, the 2x4 is on the door, but it doesn't help the barricade?
D) There is a magic hidden rule about double barricades being super strong (please?)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Still reviewing the rules, and the one thing that I think is clear is that there is no rule preventing investigators from placing a barricade against a door that already has one. (It's just that it's usually not possible to move barricades to achieve that--the 2x4 is a weird portable barricade.)

The "barricades" section of the rules that describes how monsters break barricades can definitely be read two different ways, though.

When a monster attempts to move through a blocked door or a blocked Secret Passage, it can destroy the Barricade by resolving the following steps:
1. Determine Dice Pool: Determine the number of dice the monster will roll. This number is its dice pool.
• Start with the printed value of the monster's brawn—the red value in the bottom-right corner of the back of the monster's token.
• Add or subtract all dice as specified by other effects such as monster abilities.
2. Roll Dice: An investigator rolls a number of dice equal to the monster’s dice pool on behalf of the monster.
• The investigator cannot use an effect to reroll dice or convert dice results unless the effect specifically states it can affect this roll.
3. Determine Result: If the monster rolled two or more success results (), the Barricade is discarded and the monster moves as normal. Otherwise, the monster forfeits its movement.

If read charitably to investigators, it says that monsters needs 2 successes to destroy "the barricade," and since "the" is singular, that means 2 successes destroy 1 barricade, so the first 2 would destroy one of the barricades, but the monster would need to roll 4 successes (or 2 and then 2 again later) to destroy both.

If read uncharitably to investigators though, the rule implies that 2 successes on a check would be enough for the monster to break through any number of barricades in a single action.

I really don't think we'll find a conclusive answer, but I'm interested in opinions as to which is appropriate to the spirit of the barricade rules. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note is you are allowed to look at the back of any of your Items. The information on the back of Item Cards is not hidden, unlike Spells, face-down Damage and face-down Horror.

So you weren't locked into turning the 2x4 into a Barricade.

Now, as you say, there is no rule about double Barricading a door. How I would handle it is that the monster rolls separately against both barricades when trying to get through that door. It is possible for it to break one while not breaking the other.

But you are right that we won't have a conclusive answer without firing a question off to FFG. I actually suspect the intended answer is that you shouldn't be able to double barricade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Clipper wrote:
One thing to note is you are allowed to look at the back of any of your Items. The information on the back of Item Cards is not hidden, unlike Spells, face-down Damage and face-down Horror.

You're right to point this out, Clipper. This is something I had misunderstood--I think I was imposing a legacy mechanic from 1st edition or something. And if there's no way to accident into the situation, then I can see how it would be reasonable for FFG to just rule "no double barricades." But your interpretation is intuitive and strikes me as fair.

(For what it's worth, we lost gloriously. All of the barricades in the world wouldn't have helped us.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.