Subject: How's the replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern with this game is the replayability. Is there enough in the game to keep things fresh for many playthroughs? My wife and I enjoyed The Big Book of Madness very much but this is Harry freakin' Potter. I was hoping we can get at least the same amount of replayability out of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Norel-Wilson
Scotland
Loanhead
Midlothian
flag msg tools
International Man of Mediocrity
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our first full playthrough yesterday 2-player, and are planning to restart from game 1 this weekend with a couple of family members who are also big fans of Harry Potter. I played Harry all the way through the campaign, so I'm quite interested to try playing as Neville or Hermione for a different role in the action.

Thereafter I think it will be down to occasional plays at a particular level. Probably games 4 - 7 as the earlier ones will be a bit too basic for my taste. I've got to say the first playthrough was incredible fun and well worth even the £60 I paid (shipping to UK) for a week's worth of quality gaming with my girlfriend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phil_nw wrote:
We just finished our first full playthrough yesterday 2-player, and are planning to restart from game 1 this weekend with a couple of family members who are also big fans of Harry Potter. I played Harry all the way through the campaign, so I'm quite interested to try playing as Neville or Hermione for a different role in the action.

Thereafter I think it will be down to occasional plays at a particular level. Probably games 4 - 7 as the earlier ones will be a bit too basic for my taste. I've got to say the first playthrough was incredible fun and well worth even the £60 I paid (shipping to UK) for a week's worth of quality gaming with my girlfriend.

Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
I worked on the game, so I’ve played through it dozens of times at various beta stages. I’ve also played through it another ten or so times for demos. Even after all that, I still really enjoy taking it down from the shelf to play games 6 and 7 with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played BBoM once, and my wife and I are working through HPHB. We have played 11 times, and we want to play game 6 another time or two before finally trying game 7 for the first time.

I think HPHB has a bit less *variability* than BBoM (or perhaps I mean "less interesting variability"), but that doesn't necessarily translate to *replayability*. After all, Chess has zero variability but is (for some people) infinitely replayable.

For each game of HPHB, you will need to choose:
- Which of the 7 games to play, or to do a "campaign" of 1-7
- Which characters to play
- In later boxes, other character-related choices

Then, the game will decide for you:
- The sequence the villains will appear (which really matters)
- The sequence the hogwarts cards come out (which matters)
- How the dark arts event cards come out, which is a smaller thing
- In later boxes, there are other randomizers that come into play

For us, I think this will be good for a couple plays per month, for several years. It's going to be our only co-op deckbuilder, at least for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, all. I'm definitely going to pick this up. My wife is super new to the hobby. Splendor (her favorite), Carcassonne, BBoM, Takenoko are just about the only games she's played. I like the fact that we can start super basic and build on our plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieX3 wrote:
I like the fact that we can start super basic and build on our plays.

Yup. And my advice would be to be open to the idea of replaying the lower-numbered game boxes even if you won. My wife has played far more complicated games than this, but she appreciated have the chance to really get comfortable with some of the new mechanisms before adding new-new ones in.

I guess I would also recommend not expecting the theme to come through too strongly. It's there, for sure. But even though my wife is a HP fan, she barely looks at the art, and cares far more about the villain's abilities than their name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
After having played a lot of of Game 7, I'll say that the replay value with base rules is so-so.

We've defeated the final version of the game 6-7 times now and haven't lost a single time or even come close to doing so. So that's really starting to hamper it. My kid is having a ton of fun because I don't think she yet cares much about challenge; so winning big every time is exciting to her. As an adult, it's getting kind of boring since there's no real threat of actually losing a game.

However - there are a few variants that I've seen from a developer on the team that have the goal to make it harder. I haven't tried any, but I think next time we play we're going to.

The game itself is pretty damn fun - and there are a lot of cards that change how your deck functions from game to game (not nearly as much as say the Legendary series, but enough). My only issue is that there's no real challenge at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael N.
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what everyone has said about starting with the low number games and then working your way up. It is a great way to learn the rules, but after playing about 12 games this weekend I would prefer to play game 4 -7 moving forward. Having said that, we lost badly in my last game and it made me want to play again immediately. I think it is a lot of fun and think it will hit the table for the whole family frequently.

In terms of theme, I agree, but my son is consumed by the theme. He does the motion on the cards when he plays the spells and "talks" to his allies when he uses them. The hard thing is he has only read books 1-4 so I think we will be limited to games 1-5 until he completes the series. No major spoilers in the game, but my wife and I are huge Harry Potter fans and want him to enjoy the rest of the series with no spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev O
msg tools
I've played game 7 about a half dozen times, and have come out 50/50 in win loss. I find it hard to believe that given some of the villain combos that come out at the beginning (additional events, heart loss compounding etc), that some of the scenarios are completely winnable every time.

The game has strong replayability, in my opinion, especially if you're a HP fan. My wife literally wants to play every night.

One of the best ways to extend the life of the game is to replay games 4 and onward before moving on to the next set of rules and options. This slows the roll, and each book is like a mini-expansion right in the box. Games 4 onward are quite playable on their own.

I also have a few house rules to extend the challenge and replayability: a) The hero selection is random, and b) the additional benefits introduced in later games is also random.

This means that you might have benefits that don't align well to your character's profile. Can you still win? It also means you aren't always playing with the same characters, and strategies.

Can completely recommend this game as replayable. We've had it for about a month, and played it at least two dozen times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.