Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

i have a short Question.

If a group of Monsters(3) attacks a Hero. And the Overlord rolls:

One
One
Two

Can the Hero defend 3 times and for example roll 3 Times with his Armor/Shield?
Or is the dice result is expected along to 4 And the Hero roll one Time and defend it with Amor/Shield?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D4rkH4wk44 wrote:
Hi,

i have a short Question.

If a group of Monsters(3) attacks a Hero. And the Overlord rolls:

One
One
Two

Can the Hero defend 3 times and for example roll 3 Times with his Armor/Shield?
Or is the dice result is expected along to 4 And the Hero roll one Time and defend it with Amor/Shield?

Those are 3 separate attacks, against which the hero must decide whether or not to defend individually. Each attack is resolved in any order the OL chooses, completing each attack before moving on to the next. They are not combined together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schür
Germany
flag msg tools
ok, but if the Mage in the First scenario get the Chainmail armor. Or Conan give his Armor the Mage.

The Mage ( if forgot his name) is a ultimately he has 2 Armor from his buff. And the Armor, if you go with any Unit you cant Hit him.
Hyenas have 1 yellow Dice so you cant do more than 2 Hits.
And 90% of the others Units have 1 Orange Dice so you dont have any chance to Hit him.

This seems quite overpowered in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D4rkH4wk44 wrote:
ok, but if the Mage in the First scenario get the Chainmail armor. Or Conan give his Armor the Mage.

The Mage ( if forgot his name) is a ultimately he has 2 Armor from his buff. And the Armor, if you go with any Unit you cant Hit him.
And 90% of the others Units have 1 Orange Dice so you dont have any chance to Hit him.

If the mage (i call him Haddy because i can't remember how to spell his name) keeps his Halo spell active the whole time, he will not have enough energy to teleport around effectively, nor to attack. He needs to be able to teleport through as many huts as possible because that's the fastest way to find the Princess (he can cover at least 3 huts in one turn when he has all his gems). My personal recommendation for Haddy is for him to rest on his full turn, recover all his gems, and then teleport through 3 huts on his second turn.

Remember that chainmail does not provide a set number of armor points, but provides one die worth of armor, so it can roll 0 successes. The Halo, however, does provide 2 armor points.

In another thread, a player made the same statement as you: that his Halo is too powerful. After he tried it out once, he came back and said, "I was wrong - it is balanced" because Haddy is effectively useless if he keeps his Halo going the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Heroes ARE overpowered. Most of the overlord's troops are weak and are designed to be used as fodder cannon or to hinder the heroes. It is possible to hurt heroes with minions, but you have to wait for an opportunity: not every hero wears a chainmail, Mithra's halo will eventually wear off, a hero might drop a heavy armor in order to carry a damsel in distress, etc.
If every minions could hurt heroes easily in spite of the heroes' protection, they would quickly overpower them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schür
Germany
flag msg tools
I know what you mean, but you dont left the gems on Halo?
We play the game and the Mage took the armor and it was not possible to kill him.

Yes the Armor gives dices not Armor.

sgbeal wrote:
D4rkH4wk44 wrote:

If the mage (i call him Haddy because i can't remember how to spell his name) keeps his Halo spell active the whole time, he will not have enough energy to teleport around effectively, nor to attack. He needs to be able to teleport through as many huts as possible because that's the fastest way to find the Princess (he can cover at least 3 huts in one turn when he has all his gems). My personal recommendation for Haddy is for him to rest on his full turn, recover all his gems, and then teleport through 3 huts on his second turn.

Remember that chainmail does not provide a set number of armor points, but provides one die worth of armor, so it can roll 0 successes. The Halo, however, does provide 2 armor points.

In another thread, a player made the same statement as you: that his Halo is too powerful. After he tried it out once, he came back and said, "I was wrong - it is balanced" because Haddy is effectively useless if he keeps his Halo going the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D4rkH4wk44 wrote:
We play the game and the Mage took the armor and it was not possible to kill him.

What happens when the Halo is always active: if the magician always has Halo, it means he's in the (Moon) stance, so he can only Defend and Re-roll. Cannot cast spells. Because once he's in the (Sun) stance where he can move, attack, cast spells etc., he loses the Halo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D4rkH4wk44 wrote:

If Haddy becomes Passive/Cautious to recover gems then the next time he changes back to Aggressive, he loses his Halo. If Haddy stays Active (keeping his Halo) then he can never recover enough gems to be able to be of much use in the scenario: he will only recover 2 per round and will need far more than that to be able to act effectively.

Give it a try and you'll see that he cannot effectively keep his Halo for very long. Yes, it's a powerful spell, but Haddy needs gems in order to be effective, and he has to rest to get them, and switching from Passive/Cautious back to Aggressive causes the Halo to disappear. If he keeps the Halo for too long, he becomes essentially useless to the group because he doesn't have enough gems to move around or fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
D4rkH4wk44 wrote:

What happens when the Halo is always active: if the magician always has Halo, it means he's in the (Moon) stance, so he can only Defend and Re-roll. Cannot cast spells. Because once he's in the (Sun) stance where he can move, attack, cast spells etc., he loses the Halo.

As Pallantides explains in other threads: the spell is necessarily cast when the caster is Active. The spell stays around until the caster becomes Passive and then switches back to Active again. If a mage has a Halo and becomes Passive, he keeps his Halo so long as he is Passive. Once he switches back to Active, the Halo disappears.

Yes, this spell duration seems downright weird, but Pallantides was one of the playtesters and this is his explanation of how it's intended to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
[q="D4rkH4wk44"]

It was me, in this trhead: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1669608/spells-stance

well, the ideia is that if you try to make him a a tank, the restriction on the gems he can use per turn so that he does not need to rest make him almost useless, the fact that he cannot carry much weight without disabling his spell ability too (he cannot have a good weapon and the head of the shaman for example), so you will acomplish almost nothing with it... ...the gems are better used to teleport, cast his area spell when needed and so on... and use the spell if you need him out of a dire situation. Well, that is my experience, if you can make him a good tank with the spell let me know how you did it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D4rkH4wk44 wrote:

It sounds like the confusion here may be coming from an idea that armor is a sure thing. For minions, sure, it is, but for heroes wearing armor, using that armor requires you to roll. Conan got KO'ed in one game I played just because his armor never rolled a block. Apparently those stupid picts just kept hitting his arms and legs.

Leather armor, for instance, gives you one yellow die. If a hit gets past your block (or if Conan is so besieged that he has to spend all his gems laying the smack down on inbred neanderthals), you get to roll that single yellow die to try to absorb the damage. If that roll doesn't go your way, you get whacked. So you could still definitely take a beating from bad guys consistently rolling 1 or 2 hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
It sounds like the confusion here may be coming from an idea that armor is a sure thing. For minions, sure, it is, but for heroes wearing armor, using that armor requires you to roll. Conan got KO'ed in one game I played just because his armor never rolled a block. Apparently those stupid picts just kept hitting his arms and legs.

Armor values (like the Halo spells provide) are a sure thing. Suits of armor are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, like quite a few things in this game (pending the 2nd version of the rules) it's a really simple concept that isn't really explained: if the Armour value is a number, it automatically blocks that much damage, otherwise it shows you what dice to roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.