Subject: Please help: are we playing this correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have so far played that you can send two villagers exploring during your turn, and then send another couple exploring. Is this correct? Or can you take each action only once per round? (We think the same would go for building, harvesting etc)

Thanks a bunch.

(Oh, and whatever the answer: loving this game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find an exact answer for you in the rule book but it does state,

"...each player may take one action per turn until all players have passed."

I think your only restriction is that you need at least two or more villagers every time you explore. So I would say that you can explore as many times as you want per round as long as you have the villagers to do so, until you are forced to pass and the round ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, you can explore as often as you want (pending free villagers) per round, but only once per turn.

This is confused by the fact that you can appear to do other actions multiple times per turn (e.g. harvesting) but in fact in those cases, you're taking the action once and choosing to send multiple villagers to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Yes, you can explore as often as you want (pending free villagers) per round, but only once per turn.

This is confused by the fact that you can appear to do other actions multiple times per turn (e.g. harvesting) but in fact in those cases, you're taking the action once and choosing to send multiple villagers to do it.

Indeed. But thanks. And glad we have played it sorrectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow On your turn, you can send several villagers to harvist or to build or to train and that is all considered one action that can happen on the same turn?! Are you sure?

We've always played it so that you can pick exactly one action per turn and do that (one harvest, one building, one exploration...), just for explore you need to exhaust 2+ villagers to do that action, whereas the other actions only exhaust 1 villager.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me right now; if somebody could cite that passage, that would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the physical version handy, just the digital PDF labeled "nearfinal", but in the rulebook:

The rules for Build and Train say the player "slides one villager", whereas the rules for Harvest and Labor say the player "slides one or more of his villagers".

So you can only build one building per turn, or train one villager. But if you harvest or labor, you can get multiple goods/gold in a single turn.

(Explore, obviously, requires you to send two or more villagers, but you only explore ONCE in that action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that makes sense, I guess! Thanks for looking that up!

I'm not sure how much of a difference harvesting more than one good at once actually makes, though -- since that is something one typically does after one has bought buildings or trained, because the other players can't take the goods away.
Same for labour; the only thing that counts is the cider, and to get that one villager is enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.