BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mare Nostrum or Empires: Age of Discovery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking I fancy a new Civ sort of game and think both Mare Nostrum: Empires and Empires: Age of Discovery look pretty good in the reviews.

Total play time is important, it's tricky for me to get a game to table that will certainly take more than three hours, and two hours is a good time.

It's also difficult for me to get the same people round the table to play, so a game that doesn't reward familiarity too strongly is good too - or at least a game that is enjoyable if you're figuring it out while others excel. Something where you get crushed and marginalised is no good.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games (although in both I prefer the 1st edition).

Both are going to be tough to get under 3hrs in my view, at least initially, although it should be possible with repeat plays.

I prefer games greatly rewarding experience, and if a new player has any real chance of winning against experienced players to me that's a big flaw in a game. A new player has some chance of winning in both, but not a great deal - in my opinion Mare nostrum is more harsh on newer players because of foreseeing the game end, but there's not a lot in it.

In summary, they are both great games, but both do have some legitimate issues with both factors that concern you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
I love both games (although in both I prefer the 1st edition).

Both are going to be tough to get under 3hrs in my view, at least initially, although it should be possible with repeat plays.

I prefer games greatly rewarding experience, and if a new player has any real chance of winning against experienced players to me that's a big flaw in a game. A new player has some chance of winning in both, but not a great deal - in my opinion Mare nostrum is more harsh on newer players because of foreseeing the game end, but there's not a lot in it.

In summary, they are both great games, but both do have some legitimate issues with both factors that concern you.

I agree a game that a beginner can play as well as an expert is not a good game, but some games give enough space to a beginner that though they won't win, they can at least have fun on their own terms. I think you answered in that spirit, so thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both great games. Empires is one of my favorite worker placement games. If you like worker placement games, I would say go for that.
Game length on Mare Nostrum is hard to nail down as there are not a set number of rounds. The game can be short if someone sneaks out a victory, or long and drawn out if the players are good at keeping each other in check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.