BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: Rule-sharing guild ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave D
United Kingdom
South Bucks
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm new here, so apologies if this this is the wrong place, or has been tried before, or if it's a stupid idea that couldn't work.

There are often requests for rules for games on here. I'd be happy to copy what rules I have, but currently the onus is on me to spot the requests.

What if there was a guild of rule-sharers ? It looks like it's easy enough to browse all the games owned by members of a guild. So you could look to see who has the game you need rules for, and write to one or more users to request a copy. (Joining the guild implies you are happy to be contacted, and have rules for most of the games you own.)

Would need different guilds for different languages, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure that would even be legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well it sounds good and similar ideas have been mentioned before but its not done because it would be taking one of the two things that are generally protected under copyright (the other being artwork) and cutting out the owner's control.
You can occasionally find game rules posted on the publisher's website. But if we were the ones to post it its no longer the owner deciding how their product is supplied. And at the worst its giving people a way to make a bootleg version without giving any money to the people who worked hard developing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Beyond the legal issues, rules queries are game specific and you never know when you are going to have a need. By subscribing to the games you own, you can see when any kind of request is made and respond to it if you wish. It seems to me that the structure of the site already provides an efficient way of handling that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
South Bucks
flag msg tools
Fair enough. I was thinking specifically of the cases I've seen where someone buys a used game, possibly out of print, and the rules are missing(or in the wrong launguage). But yes, I can see how it could be abused too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
South Bucks
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
at the worst its giving people a way to make a bootleg version without giving any money to the people who worked hard developing the game.

It seems to me that there is already plenty of information on this site, (videos and reviews) revealing the gameplay of simple games, easily sufficient to reverse-engineer the rules.

Obviously this wouldn't apply to games with lots of intricate components, or where the detailed actions are printed on the board or the components (such as cards). But this thread/forum is probably not the right place for that more general discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.