$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the fence about getting the upcoming Planechase Anthology for 2-player games. What is your opinion?
Poll
1. How long does a 2-player game of Planechase typically take?
< 30 min
30–45 min
45-60 min
60–90 min
90+ min
2. When you play 2-player Planechase, do you like it?
Yes
It's only fine: I prefer 3+ player games
Not really
      7 answers
Poll created by lebigot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for playtime, I find that planechase either drastically speeds up the game, or makes it turn into a crawl. Depending largely on the currently active plane. Since the active plane is part of a randomized deck - I imagine the net effect over many games is either zero, or only a slight variation in one direction or the other.

I'm not sure what 2-player meta you are used to, but a typical game of magic is frequently less than 20 minutes for me. Tournament matches are best of 3 games and are timed to 50 minutes. I've seen players go to 3 games with time to spare.

As for suitability for 2 players I pretty much have to say I've never even considered planechase with 2 players. The entire concept is built on the premise of multi-player free-for-all and that's where it really shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed Planechase with two players as long as you use a communal plane deck and filter out all the multiplayer (and just generally stupid) planes.

It certainly adds a TON of randomness, so it turns Magic into something more akin to Red Dragon Inn/Munchkin, but if you're in the mood for total beer and pretzels "Oh wow look what happened!" kind of fun now and then, I think it is a worthwhile format.

(For what it's worth, I don't care for multiplayer Magic, so I've only played Planechase with two players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Planechase 2p as well, though I prefer to play the map variant where you build a grid map of planes and can shift only to adjacent ones. That cuts down the random craziness a little bit. But I generally prefer to play 2p Commander over 2p Planechase if I want that kind of casual experience, and my wife definitely prefers Commander strongly over Planechase. If I were to make the decision again, I probably wouldn't buy Planechase, as it just doesn't see much play time in our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
But I generally prefer to play 2p Commander over 2p Planechase if I want that kind of casual experience
I guess you tried the Duel Decks as well? My experience with 2p Commander is that it takes too long (maybe 1+ hour?), even starting with the recommended (unofficial) 30 life, so I am sticking so far with the Duel Decks.

Removing some planes with crazy multi-player effects is an interesting suggestion.
The "Planes map" variant also looks like an interesting way of adding some euroness to the crazy planes effect. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
tppytel wrote:
But I generally prefer to play 2p Commander over 2p Planechase if I want that kind of casual experience
I guess you tried the Duel Decks as well? My experience with 2p Commander is that it takes too long (maybe 1+ hour?), even starting with the recommended (unofficial) 30 life

Duelcommander, the commander offshoot specifically designed for 2 player play, had 30 life as its official starting point for years... Today the rule change took effect that brought the starting life total to 20.

The 40 life starting total of traditional commander was brought about because of its intent as a multiplayer casual format. 2 player magic is, as it always was, best when it is a race to 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the 20-life update on Duel Commander! For those interested: http://www.duelcommander.com/2016/11/leviathan-announcing-le.... The update is so recent that they have not updated the rules yet (http://www.duelcommander.com/rules/).

I must say that I appreciate that some people feel that 20 life for 2-player Commander is a good idea: this encourages me to try it out with more faith in how much fun I can get out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.