Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikos Kalfin
Greece
N.Makri / Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I thought i knew the rules.

After i saw Rahdkos Playthrough i am more confused.

In area scoring i was calculating +1 VP for every merchant cube in a city IF I have a city disk in there

example I have a disc in athens and in Miletia and a cube in Miletia .
I get 4VP for the DIScS 2 VP for the Cube +1 bonus VP for the cube in Miletia

Radko is calculating +1 poing for all merchant cubes regardless where they are. In the above example Radko would gain
4 for the Discs + 2 for the Cube + 2 Bonus VPs (2cities x 1 cube)
Is this correct??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You obviously don't watch a lot of Rahdo's videos. You might get an idea of how a game flows, but don't ever think of them as a rules primer. He makes all manner of gameplay and rules errors.

Your understanding of the rule on points calculation is correct, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Kalfin
Greece
N.Makri / Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks

however to be honest he also indicated sth which after cross checking it in the manual i had it wrong.

i will keep in mind your advise though. it is confusing when people are doing videos that are more than a general review and have the rules wrong
IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
You obviously don't watch a lot of Rahdo's videos. You might get an idea of how a game flows, but don't ever think of them as a rules primer. He makes all manner of gameplay and rules errors.
That's unnecessarily harsh and dismissive! If you find an rules error, you can post a comment and it'll get an on screen errata. If you see a gameplay error, you just shout "no, Rahdo! you should do X, not that!" at the screen and make sure that you never make that gameplay error yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's neither unnecceraily harsh nor dismissive. It is true. I don't mind gameplay errors so much, but I do mind rules errors in videos, and am completely unapologetic about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
It's neither unnecceraily harsh nor dismissive. It is true. I don't mind gameplay errors so much, but I do mind rules errors in videos, and am completely unapologetic about that.
I have no problem with your dislike of rules errors in Instructional Videos, but as I said, he's aware and has a process to correct. So unless you are contributing to the errata, you are part of the problem. Your tone and choice of phrasing were indeed unnecessarily harsh and dismissive. I dislike this and make no apologies for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heeere we go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RADKO RULES!!!*

*Sorry Rahdo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Heeere we go.
I've said my piece and now I'll hold my peace. You make a good point. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Kalfin
Greece
N.Makri / Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Heeere we go.
I've said my piece and now I'll hold my peace. You make a good point. Thanks

however, i still dont like that i was confused because of the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me personally, I never expect to learn the rules well from watching Rahdo or any review, although with the vast number of games he reviews he typically doesn't make too many mistakes. He often says in his final thoughts that if he did make any mistakes, he welcomes viewers to correct him. He's a really smart guy, but like all gamers, he does make mistakes. I typically watch him to make a decision as to whether a game is for me or not. As with Rahdo, the final authority for gamers lies with the rule book, FAQ/errata and possibly using BGG to get a rule clarified. Truth be known, I've been playing WOTR for years and I'm still finding errors in my play, albeit minor ones. It's not the end of the world to make some mistakes along the way to mastering a game's rule set. For me, I'll typically go back to the rule book after I play to check my accuracy so that I don't accidentally continue to house rule something. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else one can do to master a game's rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
I typically watch him to make a decision as to whether a game is for me or not.
This.

If I want to learn the game, rather than get an overview of gameplay, I use Watch It Played and read the rulebook from end to end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
I typically watch him to make a decision as to whether a game is for me or not.
This.

If I want to learn the game, rather than get an overview of gameplay, I use Watch It Played and read the rulebook from end to end.

Yup! Forgot about Rodney. I don't consider him a reviewer like Rahdo as he never states his opinion of a game. For my money he IS the best rules instructor and I do use him extensively to check my understanding of the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.