Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played this twice today, and during the second game the Axis players quit over how overpowered Radar (American navies are invincible) was.

It does seem strong, but some of the other Statuses are strong too (but get Enigmaed).
What can the Axis players do if it comes out early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
While I agree that it's a strong card on its own, it costs a tempo to play (thus leaving the Axis the initiative), and it can also quickly lead to the depletion the US deck (just think of Axis Sea Battle cards as if they were Economic Warfare cards instead).

The best thing the Axis can do IMHO is to play defensively (Atlantic Wall, Romanian Reinforcements, doubling up in Western Europe, maybe build a Navy or two in the North Sea if they have the time, etc. if the US go towards the Atlantic; or Operation Ketsu-Go, Battleship Repair, Surprise Attack etc. if they go Pacific). If the US can be stalled in a Battle -> Build -> Battle -> Build cycle on one side of the board, the Axis power(s) on the other side might get enough freedom of maneuver to win the game by points.

Radar does indeed get much stronger in combination with other powerful US Status cards. Radar+Amphibious Landings is a mean one, Germany needs to counter with ideally at least two of Blitzkrieg, Bias for Action and/or Dive Bombers, and hope for a late Enigma.

I believe Radar+Flexible Resources is the only truly overpowered combo. Once they have this on the table, the US can simply build a Navy in the Baltic or Mediterranean and use Firestorm Bombers over and over every turn. Unfortunately, the only real fix to this is to buy the excellent Alternate Histories expansion, where the original Flexible Resources was replaced by a different card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur with Witch Lord. The more you play this game and understand the decks the more situational the cards are and less "overpowered"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff Watson wrote:
I played this twice today, and during the second game the Axis players quit over how overpowered Radar (American navies are invincible) was.

As I suspect I just was explaining to your buddy Jason via e-mail, Radar is very strong, but even with Radar, if the US is going to Japan, the Allies are probably losing the war anyway (or at least they should be), assuming the Axis are playing reasonably well and not wildly unlucky in card drawing. If the US are going to Japan and relying on Radar, they are spending a lot of time and effort going that way, playing status cards, landing armies on islands, and not attacking Europe. Meanwhile, Japan now gets to get great effect out of all it's otherwise generally conditional Response cards, making the US advance to Japan longer and slower and more difficult.

Assuming the Axis are doing ok in Europe, this can very easily lead to the Soviets falling over and the Axis winning on points pretty quickly.

Radar certainly helps the US in Europe (as it keeps the North Sea under Ally control at all times), but not so much that it is wildly advantageous. Radar is really good in the Pacific, but only at the cost of abandoning Europe to the Axis, which makes the Axis win most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I have ever seen the USA "decked" before the very end of the game was a game where they had radar early and then the Axis threw a lot of Sea Battles at them. I think in total Radar cost the US 15 cards :O

The Japanese Suprise Attack was super neat. I think that there was a bolster thrown in too but I am sure that the US lost 9 cards in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.