8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Comments about first solo plays ( no euro gamer here ) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
So I finally got the time to sit down and read the rules ,and try the solo mod of this game with the autometta level .

First of all some background, I'm kinda new to the hobby , played games like arkham horror, elder sign , kingdom death , I think those can be called ameritrash. So this game was my first experience with another genre ( ok I played Agricola on the iPad a couple of times)

The components are really well done , art is beautiful, the minis se cool , but coming from kingdom death I'm " used" to good minis so the impact in me wasn't that great.

I only have two plays ( and gettin better ) but I really enjoyed the game ,
At the beginning i felt that it was too confusing but then all falls into place, I felt the gameplay just flows , hmm how do I put it , the game seems like a simple game but when I keep playing I can see more and more layers of depth unfolding, again, maybe it's my limited experience with this kind of games.

as I mentioned I played the solo mode against the AI, our dear Automa, and coming from kingdom death I'm used to deal with like 2 or 3 stacks of cards , so when I saw it was just 19 cards ( silly me ) I thought there might be the problem of the AI being a bit poor, easy , or predictable...

man I was wrong ! The AI is a piece of art , at first glance it was confusing ,but once I got the rules , it's so good quick and clean, how it is " programmed " it's remarkable, obviously it would had been great if the AI could also at least make structures , and play with the popularity ,but I see why they had to make some sacrifices to have such a clean "robot "

Anyway back to the AI, it's ruthless ( not as much as KDM) and encourages combat, so I didn't feel what other people said about the game lacking combat , maybe if I play with some people I feel it. I would really love to see morten and co working on expanding it more . Playing this with 4 automas must be a riot !

as you can read this is a super positive impression,i don't tyhino thei can be qualified as a review , I'm new to this genre and just have 2 plays , so
What do I know ! Last week I was huntin white lions and now deploying mechs

Anyway good work and congrats to the team of scynthe !

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You find the autometta ruthless? Then wait until you play at higher levels. Not sure how you will name it!

And yes I agree with you, this team did a great job with the Automa. You can even play additional factions with extra decks (I play with two for now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
On behalf of Team Automa, thanks for your comments. It's wonderful to hear your about experience with Scythe and the Automa. This is exactly the reason we do what we do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
Glad the people directly involved could read my comments !

Btw I have a small question , when the star tracker reach a full star, does it put a star AND draw a card or just put the star ?
Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
Glad the people directly involved could read my comments !

Btw I have a small question , when the star tracker reach a full star, does it put a star AND draw a card or just put the star ?
Thanks !

You just place the star. It doesn't affect anything else with regards to the way you play using the Automa. I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to the party here, but I want to thank you for your kind words and say that I'm happy that you liked our Automa .

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
More than happy with it !

If you have the time, you can check my variant in the variants section , I tried to do something you mentioned once, maybe not the best variant but I had fun making it and trying it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
More than happy with it !

If you have the time, you can check my variant in the variants section , I tried to do something you mentioned once, maybe not the best variant but I had fun making it and trying it

I will definitely read it. I saw it yesterday, but my brain was waaay to tired to deal with any text longer than 10 words .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.