Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read that a retreat is not caused on the first row. Which tells me I don't add a covering card (creating a new row), but likewise my turn continues since the "retreat" never happened. Correct?

So if that's the correct interpretation, then can I invade the same card again in the same turn? Same if a card is exposed on both corners, the retreat only covers a single corner, so I could reattempt anyway, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I read that a retreat is not caused on the first row. Which tells me I don't add a covering card (creating a new row), but likewise my turn continues since the "retreat" never happened. Correct?

So if that's the correct interpretation, then can I invade the same card again in the same turn? Same if a card is exposed on both corners, the retreat only covers a single corner, so I could reattempt anyway, right?

As I've played it: Yes. You're trying to start your invasion, so if you are forced to retreat, everything is still as it was- the enemy does not come after you (adding a new row). But if you suffer a retreat on a row further up the pyramid, the enemy "fills in" where they pushed you out.

And yes, if you still have units you can use to invade, your turn would continue. But I've found at the early rounds, I'm able to make at most 1 invasion per turn. And losing units in the retreat might make it more unlikely that you have enough units to conduct another attack in the same turn. But I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

As I've played it: Yes. You're trying to start your invasion, so if you are forced to retreat, everything is still as it was- the enemy does not come after you (adding a new row). But if you suffer a retreat on a row further up the pyramid, the enemy "fills in" where they pushed you out.

And yes, if you still have units you can use to invade, your turn would continue. But I've found at the early rounds, I'm able to make at most 1 invasion per turn. And losing units in the retreat might make it more unlikely that you have enough units to conduct another attack in the same turn. But I could be wrong.

Ignore my non-first row faux pas... the turn is over then.

But in the first row, no retreat, so I can attempt again. Had good vehicle card draw, so I can use two of them to pay the six point (limited war for first game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've always played, I've interpreted the rules that since retreat isn't an option on the bottom row, you have to go with the discard option instead. I don't know if that is correct. (I almost always discard rather than retreat on a failed invasion anyway, not that it's the "right" strategy...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
The way I've always played, I've interpreted the rules that since retreat isn't an option on the bottom row, you have to go with the discard option instead. I don't know if that is correct. (I almost always discard rather than retreat on a failed invasion anyway, not that it's the "right" strategy...)

Of course... the discard is not in question. Just the second invasion attempt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all!

The way I have always played it since design is: when you are forced to retreat (snake eyes) on the bottom tier, then you don't lay down any new region cards, but your turn is still over.

However, if I were to be a bit of a grammar nazi (which I am), the rules don't actually say that. Page 9 reads:

"After any retreat, your turn immediately ends... A retreat is never required from a loss at the bottom tier of the enemy nation."

So I suppose technically, no retreat is actually happening, so you could continue your turn. I've never played it that way myself, but that IS what the rules say.

Thematically, there is merit to the idea that the bottom tier represents the "political border" between your own nation and the enemy's, so if you were forced back into friendly territory, it wouldn't be as harrowing as if you were forced back into hostile territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.