Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When moving police as a result of an Ops card 2 questions came up:

1. Is there an order in which the police move or if you have multiple groups of police that move can you do them in any order?

2. Assume 2 adjacent districts (1 and 2) that have police in them and as a result of an Ops card both groups would have to move (1 into 2, and 2 into a 3rd district). If I had to move the police in district 1 into district 2, then I have to move the police in district 2 into another district, would those that moved from 1 into 2 become part of 2's group and so would then move along into the 3rd district?

If yes, then I would want to move district 2 first before moving those in 1 over into district 2. Otherwise you could have a whole group of cops get larger and larger if there is a big chain of adjacent cop districts.
If no, and those from 1 don't become part of 2's group until after all cops move, does the group from 2 still have to leave 1 behind if group 1 already moved in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyBGG Name
msg tools
1. I've been playing that all groups move simultaneously. I'm not authority on the matter, but the alternative would be players deciding in which order they move, and the rules offer no clear decision-making process if players can't reach consensus.

2. By (1), I don't think the cops' moves would daisy-chain. So in your example
• all but one cop from district 2 moves to district 3, and
• all but one cop from district 1 moves into district 2.

If two adjacent districts are the same color and both have cops in them, they would effectively exchange units, should that color be drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolfkin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
When moving police as a result of an Ops card 2 questions came up:

1. Is there an order in which the police move or if you have multiple groups of police that move can you do them in any order?

I presume it doesn't matter for reasons I'll make clear in my second response

farsidehobbes wrote:
2. Assume 2 adjacent districts (1 and 2) that have police in them and as a result of an Ops card both groups would have to move (1 into 2, and 2 into a 3rd district). If I had to move the police in district 1 into district 2, then I have to move the police in district 2 into another district, would those that moved from 1 into 2 become part of 2's group and so would then move along into the 3rd district?

No. I played so that all the police moved simultaneously so while you do them one at a time. If you have to move Cops from A into B and then B into C. You don't include the new Cops that came over from B. So in that case Group B would still leave behind a single cop and at the end of the turn that single cop would then join the mob of cops from A.

If you need a more consistent or easier solution I suggest using the priority. Whatever card is on top of the discard pile use that priority order (highest or lowest).

Of course in an edge case this could introduce a level of discard gaming where players min-max and place discards in a specific order. To this there are two solutions

1. Ensure proper discard order. While in general the drawing of Police Ops card imo doesn't matter. In my game at one point another player tried to helpfully point out that I was drawing two cards and playing the bottom card first. To me it doesn't matter because it's just a random choice either way as long as I didn't see the cards before hand. But if you have min maxers trying to exploit the home rule I'm suggesting then play the cards one at a time and then put them in the discard so there's no question which card should be on top.

2. Draw a card just to pick priority order. And then shuffle it back into the deck or just leave it out. That should make your decisions less ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocket Lee
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Anarchocat vs paper riot vans!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in to confirm that the intention of riot cop movement is for all riot cops to move simultaneously, so there is no daisy chaining and no min-maxing. I can see how we forgot to include a note about that on page 12.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.