18 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » General

Subject: Leaving Earth ... Custom Big Box Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris M
msg tools
mbmbmb
While I appreciate oversized boxes with lots of empty space (*cough* Splendor *cough*) I feel like Lumenaris went to the opposite extreme with their mini-box. Also the fact that there is a sticky wrap around that you have to cut very carefully to open the box is inconvenient and doesn't help seal the box lid down.

So I made my own box with the help of http://www.printplaygames.com/ . I used their 8.75"x11.25" x2" box with Printed Top Cover. $4.75 plus shipping(12$ min order). I think it came out great! It now looks like a real game sitting on my shelf, and not a small party type game. Also the box is still a good fit for the components, not much empty air. The templates are on thier website, but if you want the file I used it is in this google drive, 28MB png. Its not great and I'm no photoshop wizard, but feel free to modify and improve.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3IKE3IakQS7YnZpTlJrWGRCUzg...

or try this version by Barry Miller.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139732/custom-box-cover-b...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, very nice! You are on a Leaving Earth modding roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. Would like to do something similar myself.

I presume your name, C M, is short for Command Module?

I like your technical drawing / print of the Apollo CSM behind the games - any details of where that is from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
I like your technical drawing / print of the Apollo CSM behind the games - any details of where that is from?

Cape Canaveral gift shop, mid 1990s. .

I feel like the designer looked into my brain before making this game. Ive been a total space nerd since I was a kid, I love math, and did engineering/physics in college. There is so much cleverness of how the theme fits the mechanics perfectly, accepting some risk in space travel, but mitigating that risk with unmanned tests, thrust-weight ratios, simplified rocket equation tables. The only way the game could be more thematic is if it came with a slide rule and pocket protector( of which I have both ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdm8387 wrote:
Dave in Ledbury wrote:

Cape Canaveral gift shop, mid 1990s. .

I feel like the designer looked into my brain before making this game. Ive been a total space nerd since I was a kid, I love math, and did engineering/physics in college. There is so much cleverness of how the theme fits the mechanics perfectly, accepting some risk in space travel, but mitigating that risk with unmanned tests, thrust-weight ratios, simplified rocket equation tables. The only way the game could be more thematic is if it came with a slide rule and pocket protector( of which I have both ).

I agree, same here, I'm a total space nerd too. Leaving Earth is the game about the space race that I've been waiting for since the 70s.

Cape Canaveral is on my bucket list; I hope I can make it there one day, although I've been lucky enough to visit The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museums on the Mall in Washington DC and out at Washington Dulles Airport and seen some of the space artifacts there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems that the classic NES game system is sold out before most stores even opened this morning.

Is it weird that the next thing on my Christmas wish list is this custom box?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, but note that everything from both expansions fits snugly into one of the original boxes, if you don't count the mission planning pads, and if you figure out the Tetris puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Davis
msg tools
Nice job! I'm working on a way to fit everything (except the pads and instructions) into a clear plastic art supply box, though it looks like I'll have to make some cuts into the immobile section dividers to fit the larger cards. I'll post pictures when I figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't get confused!

Yes, that's an odd statement to start a post with, but here's the scoop...

This is a little awkward, but it turns out that both CM and I introduced to all of you, a custom box cover at the same time! (Great minds must think a like). So please, if you wish to download the (very excellent) box cover you see in this thread, use the Google Drive link he provides in his OP!

I'm saying this only because I fear that for those of you who want to us his design, but also happen to stumble on my design in the files library, that you may think it's the same product. But it's not.

So if you're in the Files Library, while you may think that you're downloading CM's cover you'll actually be downloading mine. While I love sharing my files with the community, I don't want to be responsible for misleading any of you to downloading a product which isn't what you want! It's easy to be confused... we both used the same vendor and selected the same-sized box, and the covers look similar.

Again, if you want CM's box cover as very nicely described in this thread, use his link above. Please don't confuse it with the box cover I posted in the files library.

Finally, while it may look like I posted this reply with the nefarious purpose of generating traffic to my version, that's not the case. I received a GeekMail from a user (not CM) warning me of his confusion by the two versions. So again, given that my file was approved after CM started this thread, I feel it's my responsibility to ensure users do not confuse the two different versions and end up downloading mine when they really want to download CM's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
mbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Don't get confused!

DOH! I actually did not see yours in the files section. The colors actually look nicer and the details are more crisp. Damn, I would have used that in a heartbeat had it been uploaded before. I spent like 4 hours in photo-shop bumbling around with the clone-stamp tool making my version. And the colors are still slightly off on my version.

Anyways here is the link. It looks great, very clean, sharp details that mine doesn't really have. I'll add this link to my original post so people can have the option to get slightly higher details, with tradeoff of not having the expansions printed on the sides. Great minds do think alike.
laugh
Barry Miller version.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139732/custom-box-cover-b...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

CM,

Thank you for the kind words. It really is eerie that we both presented our box covers to the community on the same day, and even more, that they look very similar to each other, and that we used the same printing service and selected the same box size, yet we both did it in a vacuum from each other! I even used the clone stamp tool as my primary tool, as did you.

And you didn't have to include a link to my file on your thread. I thought long and hard for a few hours before even posting to your thread in fear of looking like I was hijacking it for my own purpose. But after a short while, I was seeing indications that people were downloading my file, thinking that it was your creation. So I had to straighten things out. I'm glad you don't mind.

And by the way, you picked a perfect box size!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Joe Fatula, nex expansion is on it's way... Will that box hold it? Or do we need bigger one (TTR sized-square-box)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is starting to get a little complicated to set up. It is one of my favorite games, so I think I might give it a custom wooden box that makes setting up and playing easier. (I saw one someone else built and posted recently that I really liked. Have to give it some thought...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
According to Joe Fatula, nex expansion is on it's way...

Where does he say this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
misioooo wrote:
According to Joe Fatula, nex expansion is on it's way...

Where does he say this?
Here, sort of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

misioooo wrote:
According to Joe Fatula, nex expansion is on it's way... Will that box hold it? Or do we need bigger one (TTR sized-square-box)?

That expansion that Joe is tossing by us for feedback, sounds like it'll only be some additional cards, much as the Mercury expansion was. They should easily fit in the custom boxes that CM and I made covers for.

(Talking a 11.25" x 8.75" x 2" box)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to gra this: https://www.geekmod.pl/pl/p/Drewniana-skrzynia-na-elementy-d...

Company from poland commited that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.