Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: About politics and the reprint of KDM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Renaat Van Hee
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the elections in the US have come and gone. I don't want to discuss the results here but if I recall, the winner had a point in his program where he wants to raise import taxes to 45% for goods imported from China.

As the minis for our favorite game are produced in that country I'm a bit afraid of the impact this will have when this really gets implemented
I even fear this will have a serious impact on multiple miniature-including kickstarter games as the minis all seem to be produced in China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hart
United Kingdom
Ripon
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it happens, presumably kickstarters would just "relocate", say to Europe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I can't talk for us politics. Though theoreticall if your(United States) economy benefits from taxing, creating jobs and raising the minimum wage, etc. Then playing more on Kickstarter shouldn't be an issue. Plus Chinese getting paid a living wage isn't the end of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ennui
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
I can't talk for us politics. Though theoreticall if your(United States) economy benefits from taxing, creating jobs and raising the minimum wage, etc. Then playing more on Kickstarter shouldn't be an issue. Plus Chinese getting paid a living wage isn't the end of the world.

Raising tariffs on imports from China would not raise the wages of factory workers in China. In effect, it would deter manufacturers in the US from producing in those factories, meaning less work/wages for them.
In theory, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yeah fair. You're right about that.

I think I was referring to price of KS going up in general to have a cascade benefits.

It would be unfortunate if we simply move manufacturing to another 3rd world country :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Very unlikely that there with be an across the board tariff increase with China anytime soon. A lot of people get caught up what the next president wants to do, but mostly it's just a list of things to ask congress to do. Raising tariff with China isn't something the current congress is likely to be all that on board with. What's likely to happen is congress will selectively raise tariffs on a few things maybe up to 20% in the spirit of appeasement. It's unlikely that the plastic manufacturing will be one of them, though printing may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy O'Connell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I can't tell if those of you from outside the US are genuinely unfamiliar with our political goings-on over here in the US of A (or, for example, if you're merely being polite), but we just elected a president whose published agenda for his first 100 days includes a rapid reversion to 19th century style economic protectionism (complete with line items about labeling China a "currency manipulator", ending tax breaks for commercial re-import and ending 20 year old trade agreements with Canada and Mexico) and the immediate revision of any laws that might slow or prevent this.

Under normal circumstances, as some of you have implied, these sorts of powers would be checked by the other branches of our government (e.g. our legislative branch, who writes the laws that the president enforces), but during this election, our soon-to-be president was swept into power along with our conservative political party, who are not only open to that approach, but who will almost certainly use their majority to make sure it happens.

(The election campaign also featured some ugly bits about putting political enemies, e.g. leaders of the opposition party, in prison if they aren't willing to go along with all of this, so the smart money is on these things happening almost exactly as our president-elect has stated that they will.)

tl;dr The US is about to close its borders to international trade and the impacts will be extremely far-reaching. Domestic US manufacturers who outsource production to any non-US country, including ones in our own hemisphere, are going to be effected almost immediately once our new president takes office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say what will happen for sure. Many of the president-elects positions are not necessarily traditional republican positions, so to assume congress will simply inact them is probably incorrect. And many will hurt the economy, possibly cause stag-flation, and raise the national debt. Since it's safe to assume congress wants to get elected again, tanking the economy probably isn't a good move. That said the president does have the power to impose trade tariffs without congress.

tl;dr Trump talk crazy during election, not as likely to get his way after the fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine there will be some legitimate opposition from both parties to the orange one's draconian policies.

A lot of those conservative party members that have a hand in a lot of these big businesses that contract overseas might not particularly want their profits being meddled with.

Time will tell though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
1) I don't think the president has the power to just make that a law, and

2) I think many people in congress will stop whatever he says just because they don't like him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd worry about the USPS. The USPS raised prices twice in the last year, although, depending on whom you ask, this is a result of the Republican congress and/or the USPS not raising prices that they should have done by now. Anyway, as a result, carriers like FedEx and UPS have also raised prices.

Myself, though, I'm not a big supporter of the USPS, because of junk mail. Not only is junk mail ecologically unfriendly, it doesn't even support the USPS as much as first-class mail. It seems ridiculous to grow trees, cut down trees, manufacture ink, design advertising layouts, print flyers and glossy adverts, buy postage, store this stuff, use fuel to drive it around to houses, have workers sort and schlep these dead trees, only for us to throw it in the "recycling" bin where we repeat the same process, in reverse! Meanwhile, USPS and e-commerce are becoming more reliant upon each other (read: Amazon gets discounts from the USPS while we pay for more package handing equipment), while these rate hikes hurt small companies -- such as those using KickStarter.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/new-hampshire/2011/09/27/how-jun...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-30/it-s-amazo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
toconnell wrote:

(The election campaign also featured some ugly bits about putting political enemies, e.g. leaders of the opposition party, in prison if they aren't willing to go along with all of this, so the smart money is on these things happening almost exactly as our president-elect has stated that they will.)

Agree with almost everything here, except this. I thought he was threatening to appoint a special prosecutor.For an independent investigation, particularly when noting the questionable legality of storing anything classified on a private device. Not saying anything should come of it, would just be interesting to see what an independent party would determine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His statement was that he would appoint a special prosecutor to put her in prison (not really to 'find out what happened' as the investigation has already happened, and no charges were brought forward).

It won't happen- like a lot of the things he said. The truth is, we're all left wondering what he meant and what he just said because it sounded cool at the time.

That includes taxing goods from China. Who knows if he meant it, and if he'll do it?

I doubt even he knows.

And as far as him getting support for his wild ideas- that's up in the air too.

Many member of his party have disavowed him pretty thoroughly. But if they want to exercise the power they've just gained, they need to work with him- and that would mean pushing forward his agenda.

If he seeks retribution against the Republicans who withdrew support, then he'll end up losing his power quickly. The same will happen if the Republicans drop support for him now- but they'll have a hard time figuring out exactly what they want to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, but then, if we don't rely on what he said he would do, he's president based on what?
No political opinion here from my part, just a question related to the last comment.

PS: let's be careful here because we are about to cross that line BGG doesn't want us to cross outside the appropriate forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
baylock wrote:
Ok, but then, if we don't rely on what he said he would do, he's president based on what?
No political opinion here from my part, just a question related to the last comment.

PS: let's be careful here because we are about to cross that line BGG doesn't want us to cross outside the appropriate forum.

In the US (and probably the world) most candidates don't put all that much effort into doing what they promise during elections. For presidents in particular most of the things promised aren't even within the job descriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a KDM guy, but I have backed a few other big minis games that haven't delivered yet, and the thing I'm worried about is currency fluctuation. If the dollar takes a dive, the small businesses that are either about to go into production, or are in mid-production could find themselves with a lot less capital than they thought they had raised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdkfz181 wrote:
If it happens, presumably kickstarters would just "relocate", say to Europe?

That's not the issue- the issue is the backers are in the US, and the production for most of the games is in China.

If all of the backers moved out of the US, that would solve it, but I don't think we're going to see a mass geek migration anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
I'm not a KDM guy, but I have backed a few other big minis games that haven't delivered yet, and the thing I'm worried about is currency fluctuation. If the dollar takes a dive, the small businesses that are either about to go into production, or are in mid-production could find themselves with a lot less capital than they thought they had raised.

This is true. UK based companies faced that problem after BREXIT (Memento Mori for instance, in the gaming business).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
quietcorn wrote:

This is true. UK based companies faced that problem after BREXIT (Memento Mori for instance, in the gaming business).

Is Darklight in jeopardy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.