Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is BGG Play by Forum Arkham Horror game number 56. This intro post has been shamelessly plagarised from intro posts made by:
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you wish to participate, there is a waiting list here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/AH_PBF

Geeklist for this game can be found here: Arkham Horror PBF 56: Oooh, Check Out His Asp

This game is intended to be a five or six-player game, and will be using the following expansions:

* Dunwich Horror
* Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (revised)
* Miskatonic Horror (cards related to the two expansions above)

I'll also be including the Oliver Grayson promo card, but I don't consider it a requirement for all of the players to have that card, as it's a time-limited promo.

Post Typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc.
* Italics for flavor text/fluff. This is optional, but encouraged.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions.

Images
Please use images in your post to identify your character when you post. It helps people keep track of who everyone is. You can find some banners in this geeklist. Doing this helps me avoid being confused. Please don't confuse the man with access to a bag full of Shoggoths.

Subscribe to the thread!
I will usually refer to everyone by their character name. For the sake of game speed, COs (Conditional Orders) are a great way to keep things moving along unless you check in frequently.

Game Type
This will be a 7-player game using the following expansions:
* The Kingsport Horror (Heralds and Guardians optional)
* Dunwich Horror (Madness and Injury cards only)
* The King In Yellow (Herald optional) (Permanent Performance style)

If in doubt I'll be using the most recent FAQ, which is dated 18 Dec 2014 and can be found here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9b/2a...

Character Choice
Every player receives 3 investigators, of which he or she chooses one to play as.

The Player List is as follows:

annab - IN
gilp - NO RESPONSE
BenTheRat - IN
Odysseus3 - IN
Daimbert - IN
anoirtrou - IN
comicspaul - NO RESPONSE
phantomwhale - DECLINED

Character Sheets
Character sheets aren't mandatory, but are very helpful for me, because I'm easily confused and it helps to have a sanity check (no pun intended) on what's going on with each character.

I use this one when I'm playing in games:

Current Sanity: , Current Stamina , Focus: 2

Speed: 1 2 3 4 Fight: 1 2 3 4 Lore: 1 2 3 4
Sneak: 4 3 2 1 Will: 4 3 2 1 Luck: 4 3 2 1

$5 –   mb mb - Unique, Unique, Common, Common, Skill, Ally

Tropies: (0 Toughness)
Gate: (0)

Caveats

* I'm currently trying to lose about 300lbs in weight, so I'm out a couple of nights a week swimming. I can only update map images in the evening or on weekends, so there may be a couple of evenings a week where I don't get to push out updates

* I'm hoping to get a turn done every two days if possible; if you know you're going to be out for a day or two, please let the group know/have someone cover your turn so that the game keeps ticking over

* I'm a bit rusty and will probably make mistakes, particularly with map updates. If you see something I've gotten wrong, please shout (but nicely, as dieting makes me a grumpy so-and-so)

* Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the invite, I'd love to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
Thank you very much for the invite, I'd love to play!

Splendid, welcome aboard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive got some big weekends away and a few projects in the fire at the moment. Don't think I'll be able to keep the pace required for this game at the moment, so maybe pass by me for this one (thanks for the invite !)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though my busy work season is coming up, I am happy to say "I'm in!!!" I have been itching to get back to AH again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blimey, that was fast! With five players now, there's enough to run the game; if either or both remaining players confirm they want to play, then I'll run the game at six or seven players, but for now I'll push on with the setup for five. So... player order:

1: Odysseus3
2: annab
3: anoirtrou
4: Daimbert
5: BenTheRat

Each player has a choice of three investigators, two from the base game and one from Dunwich:

Odysseus3, you can choose from:

annab, you can choose from:

anoirtrou, you can choose from:

Daimbert, you can choose from:

BenTheRat, you can choose from:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut says to take Kate Winthrop, but I wanted to check with the group... because Marie Lambeau is also a pretty good choice. Does the group have an opinion on which I should choose?

Moderator: I haven't chosen yet. When I have, I will post my choice in bold text (as an "official" decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will choose:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take: Kate Winthrop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odysseus3 wrote:
I'll take: Kate Winthrop

I don't envy you having to make your choice, you picked three of my favourite characters to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll take Michael. I haven't played him in forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annab mentioned that she's at BGG.con this week, so might be a bit slow to respond; I've started generating the map, the AO and so on while we wait, and it's already generating some things I've not seen before. Looks like an interesting mix of characters so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BGGCon doesn't start till Wed.

But I will be there on Thursday on Indie Row Selling my board game "Ultimate Dinosaur Fighting" and promoting my Kickstarter card game "Kung Fu Combo". Both on BGG

So if you are at BGGCon come by my booth and say hi.

(Sorry for the self promotion, first and last plug.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I've never made it to BGG.con, but I hope to live vicariously through you and Anna goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blush Sorry sorry sorry, last week went by in a flash. I've been playing games round the clock (literally!) and totally forgot about this. I will do better now that I'm home again. blush

The (other) Doctor is in the house! It looks like we have both our healers with us, which could be nice in a pinch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenTheRat wrote:
BGGCon doesn't start till Wed.

But I will be there on Thursday on Indie Row Selling my board game "Ultimate Dinosaur Fighting" and promoting my Kickstarter card game "Kung Fu Combo". Both on BGG

So if you are at BGGCon come by my booth and say hi.

(Sorry for the self promotion, first and last plug.)

My apologies, I haven't checked in to BGG the whole of last week, so I missed this. It would have been nice meeting you in person.

Again, sorry for the delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seriously envying everyone who got to go to BGG.con, but I hope you all had fun and spared thoughts for us poor souls dwelling in the wilderness...

So, setup continues!

The investigators have been chosen, and the Ancient One has revealed it's nature... behold the terror that is...

But Glaaki cannot enter the world unaided, and there may yet be a chance for a few brave, hardy souls to prevent the end of mankind and reality. As to how those brave, hardy souls came to have the particular abilities and items they'd acquired... well, that's their story to tell.

Kate Winthrop is an Expert Occultist; her material possessions are limited to 2 Clues, $7 in change, a Map of Arkham and a copy of the Cabala of Saboth, but her research has already taught her how to invoke the Voice of Ra and how to Wither those who would do her harm.

While some consider Vincent to be a Criminal his Sheldon Gang Membership might be an honorary one... or it might not. With just 1 Clue, he's not as well informed as Kate is, but he does have $9 - there are always sick people - and a Bullwhip. Unfortunately, he's also been left with an obligation - or more specifically, a requirement to conduct a Courier Run but he knows how to Forsee and how to invoke the Voice of Ra.

It might be Lou's skill in Psychology that kept him alive on that last disastrous expedition, but it also earned him the loyalty of Eric Colt. Lou's resources are limited, however; he has 2 Clues, and $5, but his mortal possessions are a simple Knife and a Dark Cloak.

Carolyn is piecing things together, driven by her sense of Will - although she's only found 1 Clue so far. She still has $7 from her last paycheck and has acquired two strange items during her research, as many of those who come to Arkham Asylum have no-one to reclaim their possessions, and no-one is likely to miss either the Golden Sword of Y'ha-Talla or the flask of Holy Water. Helping round out the collection of objects hanging on the wall of her office is a Cavalry Sabre, and tucked into a desk drawer are the remains of the Whiskey she fortified herself with when acquiring items from the lost and found.

People had a tendency to presume that Michael was a simple thug, but he's clearly a man possessed of hidden depths, as evidenced by his abilities as an Egyptologist. Michael doesn't have any clue as to what's happening, but he has $8 left after paying last night's rent, and anyone hunting around for the Image of the Dark Pharoah tucked away amongst his possessions would probably have been distracted by the Dynamite and the Tommy Gun stacked on top... and would've assumed that he'd simply stolen the Dhol Chants, ignoring the annotated bookmarks in it...

The remaining allies available are:

Ammi Pierce
Corinna Jones
Duke
Earl Sawyer
John Legrasse
Oliver Grayson
Ruby Standish
Ryan Dean
Sir William Brinton
Thomas F. Malone

Everyone please choose your starting slider positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
annab wrote:

The (other) Doctor is in the house!

Someone call for a Doctor?

EDIT: And let me choose my sliders here.

Speed/Sneak: 3/0
Fight/Will: 4/1
Lore/Luck: 4/3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Speed: 1 2 3 4 Fight: 1 2 3 4 Lore: 1 2 3 4
Sneak: 4 3 2 1 Will: 4 3 2 1 Luck: 4 3 2 1

$5 –   mb mb - Dark Cloak: +1 Evade, Knife: +1 Combat Phys 1H, Psychology: +1 to each die on Will, Eric Colt: +2 Speed ignore nightmarish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Speed: 4
Sneak: 2

Fight:4
Will: 3

Lore: 0
Luck: 3

My Dohl Chants isn't great for Michael, so does anyone else want to use it. I could try it, but have a max of 1 die each time.

Anna B, yea it would have been great to meet you and could have shown you my stuff I've built. But I was only there Thursday, wish I could have stayed and played games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Initial Sliders
Speed: 4
Sneak: 2

Fight:1
Will: 3

Lore: 5
Luck: 1

I am pretty well-stocked for an opening position. Unless something comes up in the opening draws for the Mythos, I will probably be heading over to the Silver Twilight Lodge... as well as trying for another Skill with the Cabala.

BTW, I have never had good luck with Glaaki as the AO. I hope we have better luck this time than I've had in the past!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna B.
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Speed: 0 1 2 3 Fight: 0 1 2 3 Lore: 2 3 4 5
Sneak: 5 4 3 2 Will: 4 3 2 1 Luck: 4 3 2 1

$9 –   mb - Bullwhip, Courier Run, Criminal, Forsee, Voice of Ra, Sheldon Gang Membership

Courier Run: Ma's Boarding House, River Docks, Hibb's Roadhouse - $8.
I'll probably start working on this unless something comes up. Or in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.