flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Overland Route
A Semi-Cooperative Train Game
2 Players - 5 Minutes
18 Cards
Designed for: 18 Card Microgame Contest 2016

In The Overland Route two players cooperatively work to build the transcontinental railroad from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Francisco, California. Once the route is complete players will score points based on how many of the track segments they built, plus bonus points if the track goes through a mid-point station that they own.

Components:
2 Starting Station cards – Council Bluffs (black) and San Francisco (red)
2 Mid-Point Station cards
4 Starting Track cards (with stars on them)
10 Track cards

Setup:
Place Starting Stations and Mid-Point Stations (1 red & 1 black) at corners and complete a 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 card diamond with Track cards. Starting Tracks (with stars) must touch Starting Stations. Place two remaining Track cards aside.

Sample Setup

On Your Turn:
Take ONE of the following actions:
Replace any Track card with either of the two set aside Track cards.
Rotate any Track card 180 degrees.
Flip any Track card vertically or horizontally.
Rotate or Flip one of the Mid-Point station cards.
You may not change a card in the play area that your opponent just changed.

Game End:
The game ends immediately when a track runs from the Council Bluffs station to the San Francisco station.

Scoring:
Each player scores points:
1 Point for each segment of track on the connecting route.
2 Points if the connecting route goes past a Mid-Point Station the player owns.
In the event of a tie, the player that placed the last card wins.

PnP Files:
Full Art Cards - http://georgejaros.com/Files/The-Overland-Route-Cards.pdf
Low Ink Cards - http://georgejaros.com/Files/The-Overland-Route-Cards-Low.pd...
Rules - http://georgejaros.com/Files/The-Overland-Route-Rules.pdf

Updates:
11/11/2016 - I added the PnP files. Up to this point I had been using hand-drawn cards. This is still not final artwork.
11/16/2016 - I completed the Full Art cards and added PnP files with the completed artwork. I also updated the Low Ink cards so that they can be printed in black and white and still work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] The Overland Route (2016 18 Card Contest) - Low Ink Components Ready
I like this a lot. Have printed it up and cut them out but ... got de-railed. The cards need to go back to back ... ARRGH ... which goes where?

Although the art is game plyable and the rules just fine, I figure you'll tart it up a bit so I will delay making my 4mm card version but am keen to get into it ASAP. Thanks for another great game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:
Have printed it up and cut them out but ... got de-railed. The cards need to go back to back ... ARRGH ... which goes where?

Ah, with the printing... The first two pages are the fronts and the second two are the backs. Each card should have the exact same combination of lines on front and back, just mirror images and opposite colors.

So page 1's back is page 3 and page 2's back is page 4. The instructions go on the backs of the main stations (Council Bluffs and San Francisco) and the cards with the stars all go on the backs of the other cards with the stars.

I'll make it clearer which page is which in the next PDF.
Quote:

Although the art is game plyable and the rules just fine, I figure you'll tart it up a bit so I will delay making my 4mm card version but am keen to get into it ASAP. Thanks for another great game design.

Yes, I'm working on better graphics with train tracks. I hope to have that available this week. I'll also be doing a better low-ink version that'll work with b/w printing, too (one track will be a triple line - thin-thick-thin and one a single line).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the full art cards are completed. I also updated the low ink cards so that they'll work with black and white printing and also added a note to each page so it's clear which pages go back to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] The Overland Route (2016 18 Card Contest) - Full Art & Low Ink Components Ready
Hi George, are the routes the same on the new cards? Just finished my build of the original cards -- they look very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] The Overland Route (2016 18 Card Contest) - Full Art & Low Ink Components Ready
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi George, are the routes the same on the new cards? Just finished my build of the original cards -- they look very good.

Yes, the routes should all be the same. They just have fancy graphics now =) And the Low Ink routes are the same, too, the red just has the extra lines so that it can be printed in BW and still work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "play area" mean in this rule:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

The cards in the diamond. You can always use the two set-aside cards, even one that was just placed there by your opponent. You basically can't undo your opponent's turn (or further manipulate a card they just changed).

I wasn't quite sure how to make that clearer with limited space. If you have a better idea for wording, I'm all ears!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi! How do we define a "segment"? Is it a path that stays one uninterrupted color, doesn't move from color to color, or a path that is not crossed by another line, or a path segment within one tile? Not sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

The cards in the diamond. You can always use the two set-aside cards, even one that was just placed there by your opponent. You basically can't undo your opponent's turn (or further manipulate a card they just changed).

I wasn't quite sure how to make that clearer with limited space. If you have a better idea for wording, I'm all ears!

I guess I was just trying to read more into it - incorrectly. The "play area" just confused me. I wasn't sure if you meant your opponent's side of the diamond, or their path, etc.

I think you could just say:

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi! How do we define a "segment"? Is it a path that stays one uninterrupted color, doesn't move from color to color, or a path that is not crossed by another line, or a path segment within one tile? Not sure...

One segment on a card. Each card has four segments, two in each color. Intersections don't break a segment into multiples, but borders between cards do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
I think you could just say:

That's what I originally had, but I didn't want people to get confused thinking that a card that was just moved from the diamond to the set aside cards couldn't be played. Both set aside cards can always be played, even one that was just moved there. It's only the cards in the diamond that can't be messed with immediately after an opponent takes an action on it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I made 4mm tiles and "laminated" them with extra wide sticky tape (a laborious but useful technique) because I thought ... yeah an easy one, wife will take to this ... its simple!

BUT NO!!!This is HARD! A lot of game packed into 18 cards. Ive tried playing myself but both of us got headaches and flipped the table!

Presentation and rules clear and uncomplicated - but the game is tuff!!

Any chance you might allow the mid point stations to move like track cards?? No, I thought not! Next stop Bonkersville with this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:
I made 4mm tiles and "laminated" them with extra wide sticky tape (a laborious but useful technique) because I thought ... yeah an easy one, wife will take to this ... its simple!

BUT NO!!!This is HARD! A lot of game packed into 18 cards. Ive tried playing myself but both of us got headaches and flipped the table!

Presentation and rules clear and uncomplicated - but the game is tuff!!

Any chance you might allow the mid point stations to move like track cards?? No, I thought not! Next stop Bonkersville with this one!

Glad you're finding it challenging! And no, the mid-point stations are in fixed positions. They can be rotated or flipped, but not swapped out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miragliuolo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't printed and tried this one yet, but the art is nice and I went over the rules and they're quite clear. One small situation I thought of that's not explicitly stated in the rules, as far as I could tell: When you're switching a card from the diamond with one from the outside, do you get to choose the orientation and/or side of the card you're switching in?

Looking forward to giving this one a try when I get around to printing things out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joemi wrote:
I haven't printed and tried this one yet, but the art is nice and I went over the rules and they're quite clear. One small situation I thought of that's not explicitly stated in the rules, as far as I could tell: When you're switching a card from the diamond with one from the outside, do you get to choose the orientation and/or side of the card you're switching in?

Looking forward to giving this one a try when I get around to printing things out!

No, there are no restrictions for how you can place the card from the outside. You can rotate it and flip it however you choose. Thanks for taking a look at The Overland Route!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.