Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A game where a card is either played GLOBALLY or PERSONALLY.

Would you rather the card be split in 2 panels, one rotated 180 so you read one type of effect upside down, essentially like 2 half cards, or both effects readable holding the card the same way, just labelled as global or personal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as always the answer is "it depends"

example:
card name is water. global: player drowns personal: your plants grow
since its the same card no reason to treat it like two

I think the closer you get to that the better. If your forcing the player to flip around cards in their hand thats potentially annoying

I'm sure there are reasons to do it every differnt way....heck I think MTG literally did do it every way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:

I think the closer you get to that the better. If your forcing the player to flip around cards in their hand thats potentially annoying

I would prefer all the text to be oriented the same way for this reason; if I have to rotate the card in my hand to read the full text, then my opponents will know which card I drew (or which of a subset of cards I drew.) If ALL cards in the deck are like this, it's less of an issue.

You can separate the two effects into separate boxes, or otherwise visually distinguish them so that it's clear only one effect can be used at a time, but please, orient all visual elements in the same direction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is this for a solo game, 2P game, or more than 2P? Do the cards spend more time in hand or in play? Does the global effect affect all players or all other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Global are all players. Each turn you play one card. You need to decide if you play it for the global effect or he personal. Both types accumulate and stay in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Global are all players. Each turn you play one card. You need to decide if you play it for the global effect or he personal. Both types accumulate and stay in play.

How about two triangles; pointing towards you is local/personal; away from you is global.

But I am not sure how you would signify which you have chosen..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
gamesbook wrote:

Have two rows of cards in front of you. The closer row is personal effects, the further row is global effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the game care who played a global card once it's in play?

You can almost certainly get away with the two list approach if the global ones are easily identified as the ones in the middle of the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris JOSEPH
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hello
A game liked Warrior Knights use small card for multi purpose information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
mafman6 wrote:

I'm sure there are reasons to do it every differnt way....heck I think MTG literally did do it every way

Let's see, cards that rotate 180 degrees, flip over, "level up", two cards printed side by side on one, "choose X", am I missing any?

Honestly, they each have their own advantages and disadvantages over the other methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
gamesbook wrote:

Have two rows of cards in front of you. The closer row is personal effects, the further row is global effects.

Another option, if it were important for table-space reasons to have only a single row, might be to have a divider card; cards to the left of the divider are global, cards to the right are personal.

Or, simply place a token on cards that have a global effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think the 180 method is good in this case for global vs personal. The "global" side will still end up pointing towards somebody, so you aren't eliminating any bias in the information delivery here. In a 2p game where one side affects you and the other side affects the opponent this would be a really nice bit of symmetry.

Something like this would be my first pass: A big icon that's easily visible from all sides with text in the center of the card for global, and smaller icons/text that's better read by the player holding the card for the personal effect.

And my second pass might be: Jeff mentioned placing a token on the card when it is global. I think a cleaner way would be to have a card or board (player board maybe?) cover up the part of the card that is not in play. If there are player boards, you could have the top half be global and the bottom half be personal. When playing personal, you insert into the bottom of your player board so only the personal part is visible, and when playing global you insert behind the top part of the player board, so that the global half is visible. (The player could then rotate the card so other players can read that global half better - but there is no need to have the top and bottom half of the text be different directions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.