3,644 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944» Forums » Rules

Subject: set up T2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprise -I have no problems setting up T2 Hurray!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. You're slowly but surely becoming an expert at this game, Kenneth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Mark, but let's not get carried away. Just one more turn in scenario 18.2. The Germans got 3 VP for occupying objective hexes, but otherwise are being trampled. Brits trying to break through the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I'm replaying this scenario at the moment as well. My first play through, I felt that I was winning by a mile as the British until I scored VP' at the end, and Germans won by a mile. Mainly, Germans had won on all the VP's taken by destroying tanks. I was surprised and thought no way can the Brits win this scenario. There just isn't enough time! I later played a couple more times, but never to completion as I wasn't really getting a different result.

I thought about it quite a bit to come up with a new strategy. My current game is going much better for the Brits as I have better learned the strengths/weaknesses of various units and how/where they work best.

This scenario is fairly static for the Germans, though there can be some room for counterattack on the British left flank, so I think it makes a really good solitaire scenario.

I was thinking that 18.2 might be boring for the German player and I had an idea that 2 players could just play this scenario, both discussing very openly each sides best strategy, and playing it out to see what happens.

When I play war games, I rarely care as much about who wins/loses, than about the battle playing out well. With that attitude, I think this could be an interesting 2 player scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously when playing solo, although I "pick" a side, it doesn't matter to me which side wins. Its the experience of playing that matters. I think if I were to play face to face, I would feel the same way. Just enjoy the way the game plays out and try to "think" better next time.

Surprising, the Brits crushed the Germans in my play of this scenario.
So many German casualties racked up the VP's. The British artillery is very helpful even though each try has low probability. Also, starting to not assault whenever I get the chance. Moving multiple stacks in the action phase to set up strong combat seems to work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Kids went to bed and I finished my game of 18.2.

Final score Britain: 29, German 26. Ends up being -3 and anything less than +5 is a British win. I think I have it figured out now, but there was one German counter attack that could have been game changing. I had the Germans set up to assault a hex with 3 British tanks just because with tactical advantage, they had a good chance to eliminate all 3 tanks (as they were all reduced Shermans). They only ended up taking out one of them (bad modifier chit draws!). These type of risky assaults actually work better when the target is in close terrain as the Germans can sneak in real close. Although that is just 4 VP's saved, those 2 tanks survived to do more damage. On the final turn, I pulled back most of my damaged tanks, was able to recover an infantry unit, and just held a perimeter in and around the park.

I played this scenario more aggressively. I set up an assault stack of 4 Shermans to take out German units in the field hexes west of the park. Then I used them to take out Halftracks and Panzer tanks. My reasoning is that Tanks are hard to button up even in field hexes (-3 ranged attack modifier when all Shermans), and they can over-run. Also, they are immune to losses from Assaults and Combats, and can only be taken out by Anti-tank fire. By setting up tanks on both sides of the park, I was able to use flanking fire to reduce the advantage of the Panzers in close terrain when those reinforcements arrived.

I think I have a good German defensive setup. I'm not sure I could improve it. I will probably play around with 18.3/18.4 for a couple weeks, and then start tackling the B time track scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying reading these mini-AARs. Thanks for posting. Do you guys mind if I cross-post these to the game's CSW page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Not at all Mark. Fine by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I can add the posts to my C-V !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.