Subject: Myth 2.0 or Descent 2E? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big solo gamer and my favourite solo game is Gears of War: The Board Game, but I wish I had a fantasy version! Here's what I love about it:
- Tactical (not just flip a tile and kill like the D&D games)
- Multi-use cards for actions (not JUST dice rolling)
- Miniatures (beautiful)
- AI system (works really well)
- True co-operative (it was made to be played co-op/solo)

I have Zombicide: Black Plague, but it doesn't quite scratch that itch. It's a little too easy, too focused on just looting all the time (I like looting, but it's a bit much for me), and you don't use cards to decide/help actions.

So, when looking for my fantasy GOW, should I go Myth or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)? I know that Descent has a better rating on BGG, but it's not a true solo game - it's supposed to have a GM that is compensated for with the Road to Legend app, whereas Myth is a true co-operative game. I know Myth 1.0 has a bad rap, and I wonder if now it's flying under the radar because of that bad press, even though 2.0 is really good.

So...what do I do?

p.s. Don't just say, buy both! I'm not made of money! Although I probably will buy them both eventually...but what will I play over Christmas break?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so easy to decide. I own both but both are different. Comparing apples and oranges...

Decent: Works solo when adding either the App (haven't tried it yet) or the 3 POD expansions. You have to be willing to play more heroes at once. Classic Dungeon - Crawl.

Myth: IMHO Myth is not a classic Dungeon-Crawl. Thing of it as a sandbox. You can play by putting a tile in front of you, decide: aso.
which,
how many,
where

you place monsters, treasures, spawn-points.

The "problem" with Myth is that it is not a fixed rule-system. It doesn't go like "use these tiles, place this and that monster there, place the heroes here, do this to win. It is a very open system that, given enough imagination, can tell great stories or lead to utter chaos.

My problem with Myth is that, even while it is playable out of the box, the game has not enough monsters out of the box. The KS (and I was lucky to get one through the Geek) has enough replayability based on the number of different monsters alone. Also I had 3 quest-packs, extra items aso. All this is missing in the base (retail-) game. You can use these quest-cards to create adventures but you have more freedom with the setting than in a classic old-school Dungeon Crawler.

If you want to play a classic Dungeon-Crawler: Go for Descent. If you like sandbox games, are willing to use your imagination and have no problem changing things on the fly when you see that it doesn't work as intended and are able to get a KS for a reasonable price: Go for Myth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like Myth a lot better than Descent (both editions), but I have to agree, it is less of a classic dungeon crawler.

So, why do I prefer Myth? I really like the options it offers. It might take a bit to get used to some of them (no fixed set up for what is on a map tile), but the player interaction and how the hero and darkness cycles link, are just genius imo. Also, I really like, that the heroes play very different because of their different decks.
That does make getting into the game more difficult though. Descent, Gears of War, Zombicide or Shadows of Brimstone are very easy to get into, Myth takes a few sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for Sword & Sorcery?

I think, the pledge manager is still open for a short while...

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sword-and-sorcery-line

But it won't be there for christmas... probably Q1/2017.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.