Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: First playthrough thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Got a 4 player game in tonight for the first time. I was the machines. We just played with the default skill as the game suggested. I didn't think the rule book was nearly as bad as some of the other people on this board. It might be because I watched the watch it played first and took the time to read through the rule book, but we only ended up with a couple questions that didn't seem perfectly clear in the rule book. And even those questions may have just been something I looked over. Only thing that really stood out was I didn't think it was perfectly clear that it has a little deck builder in it and the terrain cards stay with you. It might be just something I overlooked.

The game went kind of how most people say there first 4 player game went. The Trog stompt everyone into the ground. I admittedly got off to a slow start. I messed up a couple early actions that weren't played optimally and I feel like not getting off to an optimal start against the Trog is hard to bounce back from. The Pilgrims also got off to a rather slow start, figuring out what all they did. The humans got off to a fine start I think which leads me to believe the Trog and humans are the easiest classes to pick up. Of course that is just a 1 game sample size.

I think overall I am really going to enjoy the game. There was a lot to like, but I am gonna focus on the negative for now. As only playing the 4 player game it doesn't feel like a free for all. It feels almost like a 3 v 1 game. There was not a single battle the entire game that the Trog was not involved in. Thats not completely terrible and again its just a 1 game sample size. Just from one game, playing with only default skills I am not gonna see the true balance of the game. I am sure when played optimally the Trog aren't even a powerhouse. The only thing is I don't see a way to play it where its not the other 3 people focusing down the Trog and trying to imprison as many as possible early. Again its not a big deal, and it was probably just a design choice it just feels to me that its gonna be a 3 v 1 at least early every single game.

That being said I really enjoy a game like this that works well at 2-3 players. Most games with this much strategic depth just don't work at all with 3 players. It always ends up being 2 v 1. This game doesn't seem like that will happen with the AI there in the way. Not trying to hate on the game at all. Seems like I am going to love it and I am sure my opinions will change with more plays that it is for sure going to get. Just wanted to give an early outlook on my initial game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only solitaired the 4 Player so far. The Trogs (4 Player) are meant to peak early, and the Machines late. So you have to keep this in mind.

Have you read the Strategy Guides posted here (for all but the Humans, which is pending)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rivea
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
"The Trog stompt everyone into the ground."

"There was not a single battle the entire game that the Trog was not involved in."

These two statements are DIRECTLY linked.

You have to be VERY mindful in the 4 player game that you MUST take on the non-trog players in order to win. In round 4/5 you MUST snipe out their valuable regions. You can NOT FIGHT JUST TROGS AND WIN.

Pilgrims, teleport into emptied back regions when your enemies push out. You NEED to be the one who triggers scoring!

Humans, leverage those airfields, take those adjacent regions and score with Occupation - they are COMING FOR YOU. SCORE EVERY ROUND.

Machines: You must snipe out humans to make them spend cards, so they feel like they can't affort "occupation". Don't shred away battles completely, just knaw them down to 1 and move into regions with two unit max, ALWAYS use Matrix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
I have not played 4 player games yet, but it seems that Pilgrims and Machines need to band together turns 1-3 in order to stem the Trog and Human advance, and do so in a coordinated fashion. You can't just let the Trog play their game.

You are correct in your assessment that Pilgrims and Machines are a bit harder to understand and play effectively, but lack of aggression will very rarely lead you to a win, even as Pilgrims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.