tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I own both and got both at full MSRP at local store (rare for me, I usually buy online but was very excited for both).

One is now collecting dust after only 5 plays. The other is my groups favorite game right now and has already seen 20 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
I own both and got both at full MSRP at local store (rare for me, I usually buy online but was very excited for both).

One is now collecting dust after only 5 plays. The other is my groups favorite game right now and has already seen 20 plays.

...and the favorite is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should.......but then again, I think Scythe should be WAY down the list (not that its a horrible game, just overhyped imo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Andersson
msg tools
I think the component quality is holding TM back. I don't have scythe, but i have Viticulture + tuscany. The component quality of Stonemaier games are just on another level.

Terraforming Mars with Stonemeier quality and artwork would make it the best game ever! I just get giddy thinking about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevick: Agreed. Can you imagine Terraforming Mars with the dual-layered player mats of Scythe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevick wrote:
I think the component quality is holding TM back. I don't have scythe, but i have Viticulture + tuscany. The component quality of Stonemaier games are just on another level.

Terraforming Mars with Stonemeier quality and artwork would make it the best game ever! I just get giddy thinking about it!

Terraforming Mars Deluxe Edition We can hope given its success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Nevick wrote:

I would rather see the expansions first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
Surpass Scythe?
Sure.
Any time soon?
Hell no, not in the next 3 months.

Before the 2nd print run there is basically 0 chance it gets up there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Nevick wrote:

I would rather see the expansions first.

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
blackholexan wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:

...and the favorite is?

Terraforming Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Nevick: Agreed. Can you imagine Terraforming Mars with the dual-layered player mats of Scythe?

This would be nice, or FFG style dials, or custom dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Just bought scythe so I will see soon which is the top dog. After 20 minutes of playng this game I already have enjoyed the cards more than with two hours of playing Apex. I like Dino's and those cards are beautiful but I just never wanted to read the Dino descriptions and could never pronounce the names but I love the Mars cards and spend more time appreciating those cards than with any game. Being an astronomer might have somthing to do with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played both and terraforming mars has much more staying power then sythe, if terraforming mars had better component quality it wouldnt even be close but on the plus side the extra cost of terraforming mars was because it was made in the USA which is unheard of in the board game world so I dont mind spending a little bit more for some support of USA manufacturing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is a wonderful game. The narrative that appears on the board tells a wonderful story. Scythe is beautiful, but I think people are so enamored with the great graphic design, that they're giving the gameplay more credit than it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
It my opinion, it's not even close. Terraforming Mars is just a much better game. I wonder if Scythe starts to drop at some point or whether people just let their ratings stand. I've upped my rating of TM several times and lowered the one of Scythe the more I played it. I wish Scythe were more thematic and lived up to the hype more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is overhyped, there's much more in Terraforming Mars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inzivro wrote:
Scythe is overhyped, there's much more in Terraforming Mars!

I'm not questioning your opinion in any way, but I'm struggling with what "over hyped" really means. TM is also getting a great deal of hype right now, so is it too "over hyped"? Or is saying that a game is over hyped a subjective opinion one says when they don't believe a game is as good as the number of people saying it is? It all seems rather subjective this term "over hyped". If I agree with the masses about TM or Scythe, then they're not over hyped. But conversely if I think they're getting too much praise given my opinion of either game, does that then constitute "over hyped". It all seems rather subjective to me. I have been wondering if I had posted this poll on the Scythe thread and not the TM thread, would the results reverse themselves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
I have been wondering if I had posted this poll on the Scythe thread and not the TM thread, would the results reverse themselves?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
I have been wondering if I had posted this poll on the Scythe thread and not the TM thread, would the results reverse themselves?

Yes.

Just for chits & giggles, some one should
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

Yes.

Why don'tcha? I'll show up. And to answer your over hyped comment. For me it means that the game isn't as good as its rating by a large margin ANNND people keep talking about it and there is way more buzz around it then their should be. So its over hyped and overrated. Anything Stonemaier seems to get over hyped, but of course that is my opinion too.

Jack mentioned above that Scythe is getting far more credit than it deserves and that is spot on IMO. The overall production of it is so damn good that its hard to overlook the game play flaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

Yes.

Why don'tcha? I'll show up. And to answer your over hyped comment. For me it means that the game isn't as good as its rating by a large margin ANNND people keep talking about it and there is way more buzz around it then their should be. So its over hyped and overrated. Anything Stonemaier seems to get over hyped, but of course that is my opinion too.

Jack mentioned above that Scythe is getting far more credit than it deserves and that is spot on IMO. The overall production of it is so damn good that its hard to overlook the game play flaws.

I get what your saying but I'll bet there are Scythe lovers who would make the very same argument about TM. It sort of comes down to what you like in a game IMHO as they are very different. At the end of the day, they're both going to get a lot of plays and I'll be happy that I own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gee, the discussion posted in the Terraforming Mars subforum says yes. Shocker.

I enjoy both games a lot, but definitely prefer Scythe - and not just because the component value is so much better. Scythe is an excellent production from top to bottom - the "user interface" of the game flows so elegantly into the gameplay experience it's trying to create. The theme comes out all over the place, the components support that theme and facilitate the gameplay, and the interaction between players evolves as the meta of how people are winning games shifts. It's a super tense game.

Terraforming is also a very good game, but it's got a feel of a card game first and foremost, with most of the game being about knowing the card pool and then trying to plan around the random card draw. That's not bad, but in Scythe I feel like I'm playing the other players way more than in Terraforming Mars where I feel like I'm playing the deck.

And sorry, but Terraforming Mars is still a pretty overpriced game, especially given the lame clipart cards and ultra fiddly player boards. I spent another 25 bucks on plastic trays to make the player boards less annoying. Stonemaier paid attention to every small detail to make Scythe just a pure joy to interact with.

I like both games, and both have gotten tons of hype, but Scythe is the one I daydream about playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
saddly it will do because lots of people give it a straight 10, which I do not understand at all.
Its 90% luck, stil 75% with draft. The components are cheap. And its totally overpriced. And the interaction level with the other players is almost zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a particular reason you singled out Scythe for this? Just because it recently took the #10 spot, I assume?

Couldn't the question just have easily been "Will Terraforming Mars ever break into the Top 10?"

I haven't played TM yet, or ranked Scythe, so I honestly can't answer this question myself just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.