Subject: 2016 People's Choice top 100 Solo Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since quite a few participants in the Women's Forum seem to enjoy playing games solo, I'd like to draw your attention to (or remind you of ) the 2016 People's Choice top 100 Solo Games.

It is a geeklist of 100 popular solo playable games that kerskine compiles from the lists that people send him of their 20 favourite games to play solo.
I've found previous lists to be a useful resource when looking for new games that I might like, and I also think of it as an opportunity to give games that I like more exposure so that more people can discover and enjoy them.

Lists like this one stand or fall by the input data they are based on, and the more people participate, the more representative the list is going to be. So if there are games that you enjoy playing on your own, think about sending their titles to kerskine. It doesn't have to be a full list of 20 games - if you only have 10 or even 5 favourites, it is perfectly fine to only send those.

The deadline for submissions is Dec 4th, 2016.
More information can be found here, but it's pretty simple: make a numbered list, one game per line, with 1 being your favourite, and geekmail it to kerskine with the subject "2016 People's Choice".

I sent my list today. meeple
It was fun and interesting to put it together and think about what I like best and why. And made me want to play some of my favourites again!

If you have a hard time ranking them, there are two tools that might help you by comparing the games on your list one pair at a time:
http://gimli.morningside.edu/~tra001/sites/BracketSort.html
http://jona.ca/blog/elo-preference-ranker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Anne
Canada
Princeton, BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you for this! As an up and coming solo-er (solo-ee?) this will be a valuable resource.

I've got a few more solo games that I want to try, then I'm going to send in my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mafster: Cool. What's on your list of solo games that you want to try next?

It might also be interesting to share our lists on this thread later. I'll probably put mine up after the submission deadline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Anne
Canada
Princeton, BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to try The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game, Nautilion, Cottage Garden, Ebbe & Flut.

I think sharing our lists here would be a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted this list:
1:Mage Knight
2:Mythos Tales
3:Sentinels of the Multiverse
4:Arkham Horror
5: Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Edition
6:Warfighter
7:Mansion of Madness 2nd Edition
8:Sherlock Holmes
9:Eldritch Horror
10:Shadowrun: Crossfire
11:Flash Point
12:Robinson Crusoe
13:Navajo Wars
14:Ghost Stories
15:Lord of the Rings
16:Zombicide

Sadly I must admit that I did not put that much time into it and it might not reflect my real preference a 100%.

Might need to ponder of this list earlier next year
But last year I was too unsure to send anything in. So I guess that is a step up!

Can't wait to see all of your lists

Edit: Just realized that I forgot some games because I have not played solo for a while. For example Baseball Highlights 2045 is probably in my Top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:

Edit: Just realized that I forgot some games because I have not played solo for a while. For example Baseball Highlights 2045 is probably in my Top 10.

You can send a corrected list to Kerskine (who is compiling the lists) with a note saying that you want to replace your earlier list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mafster: I was planning to play Cottage Garden a while ago, but after stickering the misprinted board I kind of lost interest, for now.
Nautilion looks interesting, but I should probably give Sylvion (which I already own) a try first, since Onirim fell flat for me.

@Antonia: One of your favs is on my list, too.
I wasn't completely sure about my ranking either, but an imperfect one is still more representative of my likes than not sending one.
I made a geeklist for all the games that I've played solo, which made it easier not to forget any. Unless I forgot to put them on the list in the first place.

Last year, I wasn't even a solo player yet. I have another month to go until my first solo-versary. It started with Elder Sign on Dec. 13, 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally decided to take the list I had narrowed down to about 30 solo-playable games, and just list them in order based upon how much I remembered enjoying playing them. There were none on my final list that I did not enjoy, but it was still easier to rate them by enjoyment instead of trying to take everything into consideration since they are all so different. A couple of games, I had disqualified because they are so similar to another game on the list, and this allowed me to add a couple more different ones.

Anyway, I sent it off to Kerskine tonight before I started re-thinking it again (which I am doing ).

Here is my list:

Judy Krauss (Jude)
My Top 20 solitaire games for the 1 Player Guild 2016 Top 100 Solo Games vote:

#1 Myth
#2 Tokyo Express
#3 Ambush
#4 Soccer Replay
#5 History Maker Baseball
#6 B-17: Queen of the Skies
#7 Elder Sign
#8 Firefly: The Game
#9 Space Infantry
#10 Patton's Best
#11 DC Comics Deck-Building Game -- (with user-made solo variants)
#12 Dice of the Living Dead
#13 AstroNavis Merchant Advanced
#14 Phantom Leader Deluxe
#15 Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis
#16 Antietam: Burnished Rows of Steel
#17 Dungeon Roll
#18 Star Trek III
#19 Flash Point: Fire Rescue
#20 The Captain is Dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sent in my list yet, because there are still a couple games I want to evaluate. I'm working through my first play of Bios: Genesis right now, I want to give Hero Realms a fair trial (I played it, but only with the generic starting deck, not the hero decks), and Orléans: Invasion is in the mail and should arrive this week.

The top half of my list is fairly well set, but there's some wiggle room for things to shift around in the bottom half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was planning to post my list later since some people play guessing games about what will make it into the "top 100", but I figure if they go to this much trouble to include data in their predictions, they are welcome to it.

So, here is the list I sent:

1 Myth
2 Ebbe & Flut
3 Flash Point: Fire Rescue
4 Firefly: The Game
5 The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game
6 Dice City
7 Star Trek: Five-Year Mission
8 Limes
9 Argonauts
10 Elder Sign
11 SOS Titanic
12 Forbidden Island
13 Hostage Negotiator
14 Paperback
15 Elevenses for One
16 Pandemic: The Cure
17 Project Dreamscape
18 Multiuniversum
19 FUSE
20 Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judy, Kathrin:
Really interesting how much your lists differ from mine. A lot of games that I have not played yet also.
The diversity of the hobby continues to amaze me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is definitely on the lighter, shorter end of the spectrum. Though, ironically, the game that ended up in my number 1 spot is one of the "heaviest" I've played.

I love that diversity. How there are great games for everyone and every situation. The different reasons for and ways of enjoying a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Wannabe
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to make my top-20 based on different criteria each year. In 2014 I think it was an all-time best list. Last year it was more a list of which games I enjoyed most at that point in time, if I remember correctly. This year I looked at which games I have actually played this year, and then a bit on how much I feel like playing them and how much time I've spent on them. Despite all these considerations I didn't actually spend very much time on making the list. Anyway, here it is:

1) Pandemic
2) Clash of Cultures
3) Istanbul
4) Limes
5) La Granja
6) Fields of Arle
7) Coffee Roaster
8) Mage Knight Board Game
9) Dungeon Lords
10) Space Empires: 4X
11) Agents of SMERSH
12) Snowdonia
13) Walnut Grove
14) Stowaway 52
15) K2
16) Trajan
17) Rococo
18) Assault on Doomrock
19) Last Will
20) Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar

There are a lot of games on the list that strictly speaking are not solo games, but I play them solo anyway, either with some solo variant or by soloing a multiplayer game.

It's a bit of a funny list, and probably not quite fair to all the games in my collection. One of my all time favourites, Sentinels of the Multiverse, is missing from the list. But I didn't really play it in 2016 so it didn't quite feel right (to me) to put it on the list. There are other favourites that are missing for similar reasons.
At the same time there are some games that are relatively new to me that I still wanted to put on the list, e.g. Stowaway 52 and Coffee Roaster. But they are among those that I want to play the most right now, so it was difficult to leave them out.
I was a bit surprised to end up with Pandemic at the top of this year's list. But I have played it an awful lot this year and still enjoy it immensely. So I guess it makes sense.

Perhaps next year I will try to go back to making a list of my all time favourites. It's a fun exercise and it's fun to see all your lists, plus of course it will be fun to see the final top 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Qwirk: You have several games on your list that I still want to try.
And Mafster will be thrilled to see that you included Rococo, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read a comment elsewhere where someone suggested listing which games you would take if you were going to be stuck on a desert island (alone, I presume) for the rest of your life... I think that is a good way to choose, and I will probably do that from now on, although it runs into the problem of not wanting to lose games that I haven't had a chance to play yet, and it doesn't help with ordering the 20 chosen. I'm not resending a revised list for this year, though (not even to add Friday, Castaways, or Robinson Crusoe for the theme ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I just read a comment elsewhere where someone suggested listing which games you would take if you were going to be stuck on a desert island (alone, I presume) for the rest of your life... [...] and it doesn't help with ordering the 20 chosen.

Desert monster is coming. Which of the 20 do you sacrifice first, hoping it won't eat the remaining ones? The last one to go is number 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Jude wrote:
I just read a comment elsewhere where someone suggested listing which games you would take if you were going to be stuck on a desert island (alone, I presume) for the rest of your life... [...] and it doesn't help with ordering the 20 chosen.

Desert monster is coming. Which of the 20 do you sacrifice first, hoping it won't eat the remaining ones? The last one to go is number 1.

Sorry to tell you Kathrin, but not all games are created equal

Just imagine the nutrition value of a Caverna compared to Friday. Would I throw my complete Arkham Horror set instead of 10 other games? Most probably
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Wannabe
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
@Qwirk: You have several games on your list that I still want to try.
And Mafster will be thrilled to see that you included Rococo, I think.

Let me know if there are any of those games you would like some feedback on (as in my personal opinion), here or elsewhere.

I'm undoubtedly incredibly dense again, but I'm afraid I have no idea why Mafster would be particularly pleased to see Rococo on the list, other than that it is a very enjoyable game. I've probably overlooked something obvious blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Wannabe
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I just read a comment elsewhere where someone suggested listing which games you would take if you were going to be stuck on a desert island (alone, I presume) for the rest of your life... I think that is a good way to choose, and I will probably do that from now on, although it runs into the problem of not wanting to lose games that I haven't had a chance to play yet, and it doesn't help with ordering the 20 chosen. I'm not resending a revised list for this year, though (not even to add Friday, Castaways, or Robinson Crusoe for the theme ).

I am also not going to create a new list to send in. But I will try to keep some of these considerations in mind for next year. Whether I'll be able to stick to them is of course a different matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Anne
Canada
Princeton, BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Qwirk wrote:

I'm undoubtedly incredibly dense again, but I'm afraid I have no idea why Mafster would be particularly pleased to see Rococo on the list, other than that it is a very enjoyable game. I've probably overlooked something obvious blush

Because I think Rococo should be on every list!!
Lol, it's a favourite, makes me so happy to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Wannabe
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mafster wrote:

Qwirk wrote:

Because I think Rococo should be on every list!!
Lol, it's a favourite, makes me so happy to see it.

Ah Thanks!
It IS a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Lou: Thanks, I'll ask if there is anything in particular that I'd like your feedback on. I always appreciate your thoughts on the games you are playing and have often used the comment section of your collection as a resource when researching games.

And sorry for the unclear Rococo reference. My fault - I just remembered Mafster being very fond of the game. I have a vague recollection of her saying she chose it to play on her birthday, and woke her partner, excitedly calling the game's name. I might be wrong, but my memory is pretty good at remembering trivia like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Wannabe
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
@Lou: Thanks, I'll ask if there is anything in particular that I'd like your feedback on. I always appreciate your thoughts on the games you are playing and have often used the comment section of your collection as a resource when researching games.

And sorry for the unclear Rococo reference. My fault - I just remembered Mafster being very fond of the game. I have a vague recollection of her saying she chose it to play on her birthday, and woke her partner, excitedly calling the game's name. I might be wrong, but my memory is pretty good at remembering trivia like that.

There's absolutely no need to appologise! I am notoriously bad at remembering things, so some of the things I was wondering was whether Mafster had designed the game, created the solo variant, or something else that would make it very embarrassing not to know why she loves the game
That's a sweet story. I would probably just remember the story, but not who had told it...

And definitely do not hesitate to ask for comments on any of the games on the list (or in my collection). You're reminding me that I ought to have a look and add a few more comments here and there, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since a couple of you have posted Myth as your #1 game, I'm going back and playing my copy with the 2.0 rules. The new quest cards are great. Definitely easier to set up than my first play last year, when I got the enemy placement and movement all wrong and ended up aborting my attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you'll enjoy Myth! I had a hard time getting started, too (packed it away again a few times before I actually started playing), but it didn't take long to get over the initial hurdle. And it has been totally worth the effort!
I love figuring out the puzzle of what card play/movement combination to use in a particular situation, especially as there is no fixed turn order and a lot of factors to consider. For me, it's also a very immersive game - when I play, I imagine the setting, heroes and monsters in life-size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.