4,122 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Mike Palmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit wishes to move from a wall hex into a Fort or Fortress or Bastion how does it achieve this move?

1. Are there inherernt stairs conecting wall to ground hexes within Jerusalem or must the unit enter the Fort(ress)/Bastion from its adjacent hex paying 2MPs?

2. Also as these fortified areas are a higher elevation than the walls do they then climb a further inherent staircase upward to the Fort/Bastion top level for a further 2MP's?

3. Can you enter a wall hex directly from ground level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very difficult to describe this without an example, so I'll use this image

so there are 2 types of hexes
Elevated - including Walls, Fort/Fortress/Bastion - and there are Gates
Ground - everything else

1. Units cannot move between Ground and Elevated without a staircase, and you can see examples of staircases from the Forts in the Antonia Fortress to ground hexes. There are no staircases to the Bastions, or the walls in Antonia.

2. You can move from one elevated hex to another without any additional cost. The height is relevant only for LOS and stone/cauldron attacks. So in the example, you can move along all the walls and forts & bastions. There is an exception, you can't move from the outer wall of the Temple to the Inner wall of the temple.

3. Generally no. You can only move from Ground to Elevated via a staircase. Gates are a special case which I refer you to the rules.

In the top left corner you can also see the bridge, which is also a special case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Palmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks that helps me a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

3. Generally no. You can only move from Ground to Elevated via a staircase. Gates are a special case which I refer you to the rules.

In the top left corner you can also see the bridge, which is also a special case.

Some additions: you can move from ground to elevated also via a breach, escalade and inherent stair inside gates. And via a siehe tower of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wondered about this.

In your image .... suppose Rome has taken parts of the older city from previous assaults and you are defending Temple Quarter.

You are defending Temple Stairs and Ophel Tower. But stairs are facing in the Roman set up area. Do those stairs exist, making it easier for Rome to attack the Forts.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:

You are defending Temple Stairs and Ophel Tower. But stairs are facing in the Roman set up area. Do those stairs exist, making it easier for Rome to attack the Forts.

I understand they do, but fight up steps isn't easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say they do. The fort above would still be in Judean hands of course. But it's not that easy to break down a stone staircase when the enemies are near. There is nothing in the rules that allows you to destroy them (opposed to the temporary stairs).

You mentioned 'the older city', but note that there is actually a staircase from the New City into the northeast fortress of the TQ. Also, the NW fortress is an errata, but should have a staircase into the Tyropean city. Not sure where I got that from, but read it somewhere.. and it would be logical if you look at the other OTW-forts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, it is no easy task to attack up stairs, but you can at least attack with full cohorts getting modifiers.

Also, the Defenders don't have an escape rout to ground level then. Is that correct? What is rules on temporary staircases?

FYI, I said "older city" because I don't have maps in front of me and couldn't recall names. However, these are actually the older parts of the city, built first, as opposed to the New City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.