Subject: Choosing First Player. Worst ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Choosing Ulm's first player by saying who's supposed to be the most 'reliable' buddy sitting around a table is the worst method I've run into ever.

arrrhsaurongoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
Hello,

Choosing Ulm's first player by saying who's supposed to be the most 'reliable' buddy sitting around a table is the worst method I've run into ever.

arrrhsaurongoo

Do you tend to follow the wired suggestions printed or do you just choose randomly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chamberlain
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Almilcar wrote:
Hello,

arrrhsaurongoo

Just roll a die to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all pretty silly, though this one is sillier than most. We always choose randomly, much like I suspect everyone does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Catalano
Italy
Catania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of, can't recall which game, "first player is the last person who has been in the Mediterranean".
I live in Sicily (which is an Island in Italy, in the middle of the Mediterranean), on a coastal city. Yeah.

Anyways, i always ignore the rulebook and choose randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chwazi Finger Chooser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
"The last player who visited a city." (can't remember the game, though) seems even worse, to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the start of an argument before the game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny though, I was chosen instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
I played a game where the rulebook said first player was the last person who was in outer space. None of us had been so we couldn't even start to play the game and we threw it in the trash.

Really though, are you really taking these seriously? Most of them are intended to be a joke or sarcastic....you do know that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst start player for me is Key to the City – London. Start player is the last person to visit London. Difficult to use this one when you are playing at London on Board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Ulm yesterday and was unanimously chosen as start player. But I'm a lawyer (and they know it) laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also played a game of Exoplanets yesterday. This is how the startplayer is chosen:
rules page 4 wrote:
To begin, the player who can name the most of Jupiter’s moon takes the first turn.
Players begin by declaring the number of moons they are able to name and then name them in any order.
First we gazed at each other, "are the serious?" but then we just started to name a few and found out that we actually do know a few (playing with geeks ). I think this was one of the most unusual ways of determining the start player we have come across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use the starting player suggestion in games but even i think Ulm has a lame one and we just roll a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.