$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 118.13

7,155 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Campaign + Char Leveling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I'm trying to learn more about this game as it looks like a must purchase, but I'm very curious about the campaign system in it. Does anyone know if there is any way to "level" up your characters abilities and/or how the campaign works?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is scenario based. There isn't any character leveling system in place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
Caibre wrote:
The base game is scenario based. There isn't any character leveling system in place.

However there are two 19-20 linked campaigns being produced for the game one from modiphius and the other from monolith (it's however a Kickstarter exclusive).

This game however isn't set up for a true DND style leveling campaign however I can forsee a scenario campaign with a loose equipment based leveling system or skill based leveling system akin to mouse and Mystics.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To re-stress what others have said: this game (A) has no campaign/leveling system and (B) its mechanics are not set up for them (e.g. stats and skills are hard-printed on the record sheets with no accommodations for modifying them). If you choose to buy this as an "RPG-lite" then you'll very likely be sorely disappointed. It is, at its heart, a scenario-driven cinematic-level tactical skirmishing game, not an RPG (nor "RPG-lite"). Sure, many of its mechanics would be RPG-able, but making Conan into something remotely like an RPG require an overhaul of not only many mechanics but also physical materials (as mentioned, the record forms). i.e. it would be a different game altogether, not what's in the box you're eyeballing.

(Now, if history repeats itself, let the hair-splitting flame wars about "what defines an RPG/skirmish/war game/board game/hedgehog?", begin. :/)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's no campaign system in the base box, each scenario is a one shot and played as an independent story, however there will be a campaign with specific rules in the campaign book sold during the KS (delivered in wave 2 with the expansion boxes)

As I'm no Monolith, I can't tell you anything about it...

I can just talk about the narrative structure of the campaign as you will play a whole story in 8 successive scenarios (from among 19 scenarios).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone this does clarify my concerns. Any suggestion of another game similar to this tactically that also has character progression?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Thanks everyone this does clarify my concerns. Any suggestion of another game similar to this tactically that also has character progression?


Maybe Descent (and its long line of expansions)? It's a lot crunchier, but every tactical-level board game i have seen has crunchier mechanics than Conan's (which stresses cinematic play over number-crunching).

Some systems, like Galaxy Defenders are explicitly campaign-driven and characters get new skills/abilities throughout the campaign. (That said, i can't personally recommend Galaxy Defenders (headache-inducingly fiddly), but many people can.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Powers
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Maybe Shadows of Brimstone, if you don't mind jumping to a different genre (wild west supernatural horror).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Pallantides wrote:

There's no campaign system in the base box, each scenario is a one shot and played as an independent story, however there will be a campaign with specific rules in the campaign book sold during the KS (delivered in wave 2 with the expansion boxes)

As I'm no Monolith, I can't tell you anything about it...

I can just talk about the narrative structure of the campaign as you will play a whole story in 8 successive scenarios (from among 19 scenarios).


This Campaign kickstarter book, is it Hardback or Softback?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gaslight wrote:
This Campaign kickstarter book, is it Hardback or Softback?


It's currently vaporware .

Monolith has not said (that i know of) whether it will be hard- or softback, but all other components are paperback, so i am going to assume that it will be, too. (i, for one, hope that it's [eventually, when it comes out] paperback.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
Gungo wrote:
Caibre wrote:
The base game is scenario based. There isn't any character leveling system in place.

However there are two 19-20 linked campaigns being produced for the game one from modiphius and the other from monolith (it's however a Kickstarter exclusive).

This game however isn't set up for a true DND style leveling campaign however I can forsee a scenario campaign with a loose equipment based leveling system or skill based leveling system akin to mouse and Mystics.


Actual let me clarify this a bit more as there are some people who want Conan to be just a board game and push that agenda. Monolith has a tie in to the modiphius rpg. Modiphius is a full rpg system, thier campaign tie in utlizies Conan board game and integrates the Conan board game into the rpg. So in essence there will be a way to play Conan as a true leveling based campaign. However the base game and Kickstarter campaign system is simply a linked scenario campaign game likely with a loose item based leveling system.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungo wrote:
Actual let me clarify this a bit more as there are some people who want Conan to be just a board game and push that agenda.


Probably because that's what this particular product is (and is marketed and sold as). Trying to re-brand it as an RPG would be downright deceitful.

Gungo wrote:
Monolith has a tie in to the modiphius rpg. Modiphius is a full rpg system, thier campaign tie in utlizies Conan board game and integrates the Conan board game into the rpg. So in essence there will be a way to play Conan as a true leveling based campaign.


Which will necessarily use the mechanics from the RPG, not from the board game (the "product agenda" some of us are "pushing" here).

Turning it into, or integrating it with, an RPG, requires non-trivial effort and/or third-party materials.

No such third-party materials are currently available. Given Monolith's own inability to deliver the promised scenarios for the add-ons in a reasonable timeframe, i think we must assume that Modiphius will have similar problems. (FWIW, i blame this on the inherent difficulty of creating well-balanced scenarios using this game engine, not on any managerial flaws in either company.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
What information are you adding other than pushing your own opinion on others? Nothing
I was answering the original posters question about campaigns and leveling based questions about Conan. Which there is absolutely options that are being marketed and available in the future.
All you are doing is arguing and trying to convince others of what you want and your own beliefs and your own denial of the options that are being developed for Conan.
As much as you try to convince people how hard and impossible it is to create a leveling based campaign for Conan. You are wrong. There is a Facebook group that contains the individuals that are creating these campaigns already.
I am sorry you dislike the fact others have this option to play this game that way and it somehow ruins your day that you feel it's your duty to remind everyone on a daily basis conan is only currently a board game and the fact that there is no campaign during Conan release date means it must somehow be some impossible task, but the fact is there are campaigns and there is an rpg in development for Conan by monolith. You're just going to have to find a way to live with yourself knowing that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungo wrote:
What information are you adding other than pushing your own opinion on others? Nothing


You've apparently completely misconstrued what's my point has been here...

The OP asked if this board game (i.e. the game as-is, out of the box) can be used in an RPG-fashion. As is, it cannot. That's not "pushing an agenda," it is a simple fact.

As proof of that i offer the entire text of the Kickstarter campaign, the packaging (and online marketing materials) of the game itself, and the rule book. There's no mention whatsoever of RPGs anywhere in there.

i backed the RPG campaign, by the way, so your characterization of my "denial of the options being developed" is completely unfounded.

Gungo wrote:
but the fact is there are campaigns and there is an rpg in development for Conan by monolith. You're just going to have to find a way to live with yourself knowing that.


i promise that i'm not gonna lose any sleep whatsoever over that.

Any in-development options do not yet exist (i.e. the OP cannot be handed a copy right now). Therefore, the answer to the OP's original query is still "no, it cannot, as-is/out-of-the-box be used as an RPG."

There's no agenda there - it's simply the facts of the current circumstances.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Guys...why are you fighting? Reading through everyone's comments it seems to me like we're all on the "same page" with no animosity. I would love to see Conan fleshed out into a full "RPG" but based on my understanding it's probably worth waiting to see what Monolith has in mind before spending the (not cheap) $$ on it. Thanks everyone seriously!
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Guys...why are you fighting? Reading through everyone's comments it seems to me like we're all on the "same page" with no animosity. I would love to see Conan fleshed out into a full "RPG" but based on my understanding it's probably worth waiting to see what Monolith has in mind before spending the (not cheap) $$ on it. Thanks everyone seriously!


Waiting is also what Shut up & Sit down recommended in their video review. The game is very expensive for what it provided and the replayability of the base game is lacking. I wonder why MOnolith did not add a campaign system from the start.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only does this board game lack a campaign/leveling system, but I believe any such system would feel obviously tacked on. The core rules of the game are elegant and simple. That is the design that attracted so many to the project and made the Kickstarter campaign a big success. Though many want leveling in adventure/combat games, I think it's not a great fit here.

What this game does, it does well. It does it well because it's true to its design. It's very much worth checking out, in spite of not being a "leveling-up" game. Honestly, such games are so common anyway I don't miss having yet another one in the genre.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Thanks everyone this does clarify my concerns. Any suggestion of another game similar to this tactically that also has character progression?

People are probably avoiding mentioning Myth because it launched with bad rules. It has character progression and tactical combat. It either does a freeform play with a deck of quests or you can play set campaigns.

Kingdom Death: Monster also has some character progression in a campaign with tactical miniature battles. But don't get too attached to those characters because their lifespan is shorter than a fly. It's expensive but it's one of my favorite games.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
You cant level Conan! He is the pinnacle of human skill and cunning!
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP, there is a game that may be just what you are after, Gloomhaven. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174430/gloomhaven

As of now it is still available for pre-order via the Kickstarter campaign. It has character progression comin out of its wazoo.

As for Conan I would second the 'wait and see' tactic. The game is still new to market and there is ample room for Monolith to expand the games content, but I don't think RPG-Lite will be catered for by themselves. They've partnered with Modiphius to make the boardgame assets usuable for the RPers amongst us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
taraba wrote:
People are probably avoiding mentioning Myth because it launched with bad rules. It has character progression and tactical combat. It either does a freeform play with a deck of quests or you can play set campaigns.


This is an interesting suggestion...I've never heard much "hooplah" over Myth and seem to recall reading VERY inconsistent reviews of it. Are you implying that at some point in time the rules went through a revision that made the game far more enjoyable?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
taraba wrote:
People are probably avoiding mentioning Myth because it launched with bad rules. It has character progression and tactical combat. It either does a freeform play with a deck of quests or you can play set campaigns.


This is an interesting suggestion...I've never heard much "hooplah" over Myth and seem to recall reading VERY inconsistent reviews of it. Are you implying that at some point in time the rules went through a revision that made the game far more enjoyable?


Yes like most kickstarters the rulebook they shipped to the backers was a mess. With the new rules and campaign modules Myth finally lived up to its potential... but few people returned to it to give it another chance or to update their reviews. Unfortunately Conan is going through the same thing right now with Moolith furiously working to put out a updated rulebook. Not sure how bad the Conan rulebook is because I still haven't received my copy.
shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
The base rulebook is not a mess. The game is perfectly playable as is. The (apparent) mess is with any of the extras, and a couple of French->English translation errors. But it is just a couple.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.