Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played captain sonar yesterday and saw it is highly ranked as a party game. I thought it fun and yet, seemed to recall liking SC: DD better - I liked the frantic nature of the dice in a real-time environment to add a little bit of normalizing to the game to make it more even and up the tension in the game.

While SC: DD has a higher entry point (I think the dual-action for dice - IE Captain to station back to Captain) makes it a little harder to grok for new-comers than Captain Sonar), I did prefer it over Captain Sonar.

However, when I searched for SC: DD in the party game category to see where it ranked, I didn't find it at all.

Why not? Is this generally not concidered a party game? If not, why is Captain Sonar in the category? Should SC: DD be re-classified?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider this to be a party game. Go ahead and submit the edit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
The time needed to explain the different starship systems is what prevents me from calling SC: DD a party game. You can't introduce it to people who are not willing to really understand it. If someone pays little attention to the rules, the game suffers.

Maybe this is not enough to rule out it from the category. But of course, belonging to a category is always nuanced; there are more and less prototypical cases...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfenici wrote:
The time needed to explain the different starship systems is what prevents me from calling SC: DD a party game. You can't introduce it to people who are not willing to really understand it. If someone pays little attention to the rules, the game suffers.

A valid point that also would apply to Captain Sonar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unfortunately, I haven't play CS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays with several people, like a party game, but it doesn't feel like a party game. The explanation is more in depth than typical party players will allow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
It plays with several people, like a party game, but it doesn't feel like a party game. The explanation is more in depth than typical party players will allow.

We only ever play this during a party, of course it has to be the right party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the input. I would ask for the comparison (as steckman did), that Captain Sonar seems to have the same challenges/factors going for it, except it has a lower complexity (?) level.

Is that what makes it a party game and not SC: DD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bivaterl wrote:
Is that what makes it a party game and not SC: DD?
Unlike SC: DD, it's miscategorized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.