$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Michael De Meirleir
Belgium
Hamme
Unspecified
flag msg tools
After a few unsuccessful tries at solo mission 4 “Partisans” with 2 separate forces, I decided this time to keep all my troops together.

Using all 6 CAP's from the start, I rushed one of the LMG34's to hex I06, where it would be able to keep any advancing enemy troops busy.
The the second LMG34 moved up to H07, providing even more firepower and deterring any Soviet troops from advancing onto hex G09.

I then -slowly but steadily- brought up the 2 rifle squads behind the MG positions.
One of them then took the Soviet Control Point – the Soviets only ever got one VP out of that Mission Target.
But my infantry got too cocky and overshot the control point seeking to destroy the MMG Maxim that had steadily crept up from its original position to hex F10. They shouldn't have done that... 1 extra VP point for the AI was the result.

The two Soviet Rifle squads then came onto the board as reinforcements, together with the SS Trackers.

Both Supply Trucks entered the battle scene from the north. One of them quickly got eliminated by the Soviet Rifle squads, but the other managed to disappear in the woods.

In the mean time, the SS Trackers did not bother with the Soviet Rifle Squads, but quickly turned their wrath onto the Maxim MMG troops, just in time for the second supply truck to pass the crossroads. The Soviets would never see the truck again... 1 more VP for the German troops.

In the meanwhile, the remaining Soviet troops were being pinned down by my two LMG34 groups.
The Soviet Reinforcements would never make it in time to watch all of their comrades being eliminated.

The result? A resounding German victory by 7 VP's.
Not bad for what started out as an experiment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great round up.

I found this the least attractive scenario though.

I think the German Campaign is the best (scenarios 5,6,7,8). Certainly the later firefights ... where the AI is the attacker and every time he handed me my head on a plate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael De Meirleir
Belgium
Hamme
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Those were next on my list, but then Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection showed up on my doorstep.
Raaaah... the agony of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeld wrote:
Those were next on my list, but then Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection showed up on my doorstep.
Raaaah... the agony of choice.

I see your problem . I still have to play a few COIN games too, but I skipped the American Revolution game because I saw it had an enormous amount of small errata, so I hope the new reprint will solve this.

In the meantime if you HAVE to chose just one firefight of the CoH Solo German Campaign, pick the 3rd one. EPIC fight for the player to control the central Hill while the Russian AI assaults you in every manner possible.

That firefight is one of the best moments of any wargame I played since ... 1978...

I remember a guy over here who - as a hardcore ASL fan - had some trivial critics about this CoH game ... until he played that massive AI attack scenario. Suddenly his comments about the AI only defending were stunned.

Of course he only put a few lines admitting it in his initial reviews afterward, but that proved to me this system can be even more dynamite in a future solo expansion.

Let's hope the Eickerts find the time for new solo firefights (Guadalcanal ?) between all their eurogames...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael De Meirleir
Belgium
Hamme
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Benny,

I'm with you on this one.
Can't wait to shell out some money for Guadalcanal + solo expansion.

Meanwhile, I'll try out firefight 3 whenever I get the time.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.