Hide
17 Posts

The Gallerist» Forums » General

Subject: Mold in box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scooter
msg tools
I received the game today after ordering from CSI. On the inside of both the top and bottom lids, there were small, brown, sticky spots scattered about. They resembled mold growth. I took a Lysol wipe and wiped them out. The affected areas are rougher than the normal, smooth surface.

Everything else seems totally fine. I just found it strange. Has anyone else seen this on Gallerist or any other games? First time I've seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has the same (also from CSI). Haven't tried wiping it off yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thenext0 wrote:
I received the game today after ordering from CSI. On the inside of both the top and bottom lids, there were small, brown, sticky spots scattered about. They resembled mold growth. I took a Lysol wipe and wiped them out. The affected areas are rougher than the normal, smooth surface.

Everything else seems totally fine. I just found it strange. Has anyone else seen this on Gallerist or any other games? First time I've seen it.

Mine is fine, but this problem usual shows up with games printed in China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine from CSI today, and same issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
thenext0 wrote:

Mine is fine, but this problem usual shows up with games printed in China.

Can you substantiate that statement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balázs Szarka
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, I recieved mine as part of the Vinhos KS campaign as an add-on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My older copy of this is fine, but I had the same thing with the game Medina. Also had a powdery substance all over the pieces. I was had to ditch the box. I also thought it was some kind of mold and didn't want it spreading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread made me look at my copy, which I also received from CSI in the past few days, but hadn't inspected carefully.

My box has it too. I took a bit of hand sanitizer and sprayed it on a tissue. Then I applied it to the inside of both the top and bottom of the box. I didn't apply enough to penetrate the box and saturate it, but I did apply enough to liberally coat the mold spots and after a minute or so, the spots seemed to dissipate. I'll be watching it closely to see if I need to apply it a second time or if the problem will be solved for good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was my box of Brass that had the same problem.
But the mould didn't appear to be active anymore.

When we get our copy of the gallerist someday I'll keep an eye on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
So did anyone figure out if it's mold or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balázs Szarka
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:

it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fa1ataka wrote:
Maddest Hatter wrote:

it is
How do you know? Have you cultured it or examined it under a microscope? Are you just making an unsupported assertion or are you qualified to make the statement in some manner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just purchased this the other day for my wife for her birthday and she opened it last night. After seeing these posts today I went and checked ours and sure enough, on both halves of the box it appears to have mold growing on it. I'm wondering who to contact, the company I bought it from (Coolstuffinc) or the manufacturer. Anyone contacted anyone yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to say my box also has this in it. I can't confirm it is mold, but I don't know what else it could be. It looks like mold. It feels like mold. The pattern is that of mold.

Living in New England we dealt with basement mold often. Bleach and/or Simple Green was the best defense. In this case I don't think either is practical. However, I'm going to try to wipe the mold spots with a paper towel and then wipe them again with isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl won't "wet" the spot you wipe (or it shouldn't) and it should kill anything there.

All in all I'm not overly concerned with the mold. As long as it's not still spreading. I'm going to hit it with alcohol tonight. If there's any interest in the results I'll post a report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured I'd come back. After closer inspection it does not look like mold to me. A lot of the stains have a small crusty deposit in the middle of it.

It appears to me like something was dropped onto the insides of the box. Possibly glue? Maybe overspray from somewhere? Not sure. It does look like some crusty deposits landed in the box and then created a stain around where those deposits landed over time.

In any case, most of the stains still have a small hardened piece of something in the middle of them. Not sure what it is, but I'm 99.9% sure it isn't mold. Probably an aberration during production. In any case, it doesn't look like something that will spread or anything like that.

That doesn't mean someone cannot develop mold in a box. But for me, I have the same looking spots as pictured above in the thread and it's simply not mold.

FWIW My Vinhos box does not have any spots in it at all. Same publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Maddest,

I wasn't going to contact anyone unless I saw the "mold" spreading. The interior contents of the box (pieces, meeples, art tiles, etc.) are pristine with no issues whatsoever, so I wasn't that concerned. If you think it's not mold, that's good enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were they made out of recycled pizza boxes with grease spots? zombie

I contacted Eagle-Gryphon to let them know about the issue, and they are sending a replacement box. My rule book also had a big old wrinkly spot on it that looked like it had something wet dripped on it.

Hopefully it's a QC issue that they can correct in the future, or at least use our information to communicate with the manufacturer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.