Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Luck

Virginia
msg tools
new user
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spoiler

When resolving an explore in the captain's log how do you assign damage?
This makes a difference.

To lead ship, both ships, players choice?

Does excess damage roll over to second ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All endeavors use the same mechanism. Page 10 of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
All endeavors use the same mechanism. Page 10 of the rulebook.

The better question would have been, when resolving a Captain Booke Entry...

Certain entries that do not require an endeavor may result in damage. In that case, I wonder if you can distribute it. I assume you pick one ship, but what if the Booke entry was a result of some action that DIDN'T require a flagship?

The Ancient Secrets Unearthed milestone offers a choice, the result of which can cause damage. The milestone itself is unlocked by exploring, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the milestone entry applies only to the exploring flagship. Mostly because the explore action/endeavor would resolve fully before the milestone trigger... I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing that the choice of flagship you make during the original exploration endeavors carries through until you stop reading in the Captain's Booke. It's possible we've been playing that wrong, but that's how we've been doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
We've been playing that the choice of flagship you make during the original exploration endeavors carries through until you stop reading in the Captain's Booke. It's possible we've been playing that wrong, but that's how we've been doing it.

I honestly think this is the most sensible solution, but I'm not sure I could survive an angry table-mate who's about to miss out on winning because his ship sank because I told him he needs to take the hit on his flagship cry

This actually happened to me. I took a risky explore to get the Ancient Secrets Unearthed milestone. I was defense 12, had 4 successes from research and rolled 9 dice. I got a pitiful 4 successes, narrowly surviving (1 exhausted upgrade, 1 damage to my fearless support ship, 2 damage cards). Yeesh. I read the milestone entry. I got 2 damage, well I had already won the game by a very wide margin with a sudden 5 glory turn I didn't want everybody to bitch about it so I just sank my flagship and took the 1 glory hit... but then again I was winning the campaign by around 10 glory. If one of the other players had this happen... I don't think I'd have the heart to argue with them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you did this right, but just to make sure:
You still took any glory that the entry awarded you, right? If your ship sinks due to the exploration endeavor roll, then you wouldn't have gone to the success entry to begin with -- but if that entry sinks you, you still gain any other rewards. You do still lose a glory for each upgrade lost on the ship that sank, so if that's what you meant, then I agree with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah. I still got all 5 glory and the Captains Booke stuff. I just sank afterwords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.