$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 88.2

5,780 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.4% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: dark memories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Hawthorne
England
Gt. Dunmow
Essex
flag msg tools
Hi,

First LCG, having a bit of trouble, Agnes Bakers "dark memory" card, this is how I understand it, please can someone tell me if and what I'm getting wrong.

1 Card states if its in your hand at end of turn then u take 2 horror, it says REVEAL it and take 2 horror? what is the REVEAL part?

2 I understand this to mean to avoid the horror I should play the card which forces me to use 1 action and cost 2 resources but then as a result I must add 1 doom to the agenda?

3 what then happens to this card does it go into my play area?

i'm pretty sure i'm way off here, any help would be appreciated
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pay one doom and 2 resources to play the card and then discard it, or you can hold it in your hand and at the end of the turn you must show it to the other players and say "hey, I'm takin two horror cause of these memories for y'all". You then put the card back in your hand.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcibiades73 wrote:
Hi,

First LCG, having a bit of trouble, Agnes Bakers "dark memory" card, this is how I understand it, please can someone tell me if and what I'm getting wrong.

1 Card states if its in your hand at end of turn then u take 2 horror, it says REVEAL it and take 2 horror? what is the REVEAL part?

2 I understand this to mean to avoid the horror I should play the card which forces me to use 1 action and cost 2 resources but then as a result I must add 1 doom to the agenda?

3 what then happens to this card does it go into my play area?

i'm pretty sure i'm way off here, any help would be appreciated
You can play the card for the cost of two, increase doom by one and then discard it, or you can keep it in your hand and take 2 horror at the end of your turn. If you take the latter option, Dark Memories won't be discarded and you will take another 2 horror if you don't play it next turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hawthorne
England
Gt. Dunmow
Essex
flag msg tools
thanks for the reply guys I thought I read that you cannot discard weaknesses?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcibiades73 wrote:
thanks for the reply guys I thought I read that you cannot discard weaknesses?


As well as being a Weakness, Dark Memory has the card type "event". It has the keyword "spell". You pay the cost to "play" the event (cast the spell). Once it's played, the card is then put into the discard pile. That's not the same as directly discarding it from your hand (which is what the rule infers - like when you've reached your hand limit and can choose to discard a card). You paid the cost of the event and you played it, rather than discarded it.

Having said that, I've found it quite useful to hang onto it when playing with Agnes, as the penalty for keeping it in your hand can have benefits in the right situation!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know why, but I've had it in my head that Dark Memory was an 'asset' type card. Oops. I've been incorrectly playing it to my play area in the few games with Agnes I've done.And if something like Crypt Chill were to show up, I'd likely have discarded it in place of a legal card (thankfully, this interaction never presented itself).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hawthorne
England
Gt. Dunmow
Essex
flag msg tools


Thanks for your post Paul, I noticed that about Agnes, its good to see I was on the right lines after all, I'm getting there just taking my time playing as I go
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
Thank you for asking this.

In fact, I interpreted wrong the Reveal word, as "Play it", that is, discard at the end

You have to waste 1 action, 2 resources, and put 1 doom token in the agenda. If you conserve it, it is even worse. A real weakness...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
urkary wrote:
Thank you for asking this.

In fact, I interpreted wrong the Reveal word, as "Play it", that is, discard at the end

You have to waste 1 action, 2 resources, and put 1 doom token on the agenda. If you conserve it, it is even worse. A real weakness...


Scenario 1 spoiler about how a weakness is not always a bad thing.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Not if you are fighting the Ghoul Priest and he is remaining 1hp, you can choose not to attack (to avoid retaliate) and kill him with that horror being taken.


I love this game, it tells a sound story you play on. Not as deep as a paper RPG but if you add a background music to the play... woah!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.