United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been spending time converting non gamers into uni-gamers. So my friend OCDave would play Blood Rage, Brew Crafters or Castle Dice but the only games he has really enjoyed were Star Realms and Slaughterball. I got bored with Star Realms so this worked out fine. I told him I have to get a few more games in before the end of the year for my 10X10 and he said bring the game over. So, feigning begrudgingly doing so, I did. Last week we had played on the Carnage dungeon but this week I brought the Quad.

So we set up the Quad, small arena for two players. Not a lot of space to move around, easy to get to both other players and the ball. It is a great small space to encourage "Player interaction" by which I mean beating the tar out of each other and/or scoring back to back goals.

So the first game we played without cards, just to get back into the game. He got it down mechanically but I beat him pretty handily. A few times he said "I know there is a card I could use here" and "I need those plus accuracy cards" so next game we decided to card it up. We both decided that the Quad was a great two player board. I think the score was around 28 to 19, me.

The second game went very differently from the first. He got a great card draw, was first coach and was able to steal a card from me and in the process see that I did not have a penalty card in the second round so he knew he was free to bust heads. Some of my guys got knocked down, I lost a Razor to injury and he was running his guys up to the goals to score one pointers if he couldn't smash me with the ball. That +1 die combat bonus was totally unnecessary for his Butchers against my crunchy little Razors, but he made use of it with Brute cards for good measure. I believe he had 16 dice at one point against my 3 while I can only imagine my Razor was flat on his back staring at a giant foot coming down and considering changing careers. It did not end well for me, hopefully reincarnation exists in the Slaughterball world. He controlled the arena, he herded my team and he kept the ball from me. I want to say the game ended around 17 to 12. It was the best game I had played yet, I just couldn't work around his offensive push. I rolled for crap when I did get the ball and he just laid me out.

I was ready to pack it up and he said, one more game. I will never argue with that and we may have had a little bourbon and I showed him the team boards and the special powers. I showed him automatic chop and he decided that he wanted that a lot. So I had my board and his board on my iPad for reference to make sure he was making good use of them. Unfortunately the bourbon hit him harder than it hit me and his unified strategy started falling apart. He lost focus and I was able to rack up a high score of 30 and he basically ended up spending the rest of his game eliminating my team. I had a Razor two spaces from his butcher and tried a spike, did not go well for me, he stayed up. He got a 2 space deflection for the ball and another Razor was able to pick it up and try again. I did pull off a two space away spike from my Razor to his Butcher, knocked him down, played Brutal Spike then Dead Neohumans Don't Dance (go read "Dead Dwarves Don't Dance" it will make more sense) which killed one of his Butchers. I had been holding the cards for awhile, totally worth it. He brought my team down to three guys, two injured and one in the penalty box, so I had three actions and three dudes, he kept getting points just like playing whack a mole, I'de stand up, he'd whack me down. I still won, he just couldn't catch up to my lead. We decided that was enough and that we needed to watch a Van Damme movie to finish things off properly.

So all in all, I love the Quad. I love the close quarters. I love the forced interaction. I love how it feels both confining and freeing at the same time. You are always close to a goal or a dude to smash. On the Octagon there are turns where a ball comes out of a launcher but the scrum is on the opposite side of the board, then there is either a dash for the ball or the fighting continues and the ball is left out. Worst case scenario, you get to the ball, can't score and get a Shot Clock card played on you. In the Quad you are always near the ball even though you may have a wall of opposing forces between you and it. I will play four on the octagon, I will play three on the hexagon but I don't see going back to the base game octagon for two players. Now the new arenas, that is a different story (he wants to push me on spikes and stomp me, I may have created a monster), but for quick, dirty play I will always shout QUAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100% agree Reed! We found out that Fury is particularly dangerous. Their speed five butchers can get into claw range easily and their SPEED 9 razor can go end to end in a single move action!

As for the Dungeon arena, just wait until he realizes that he can use his butchers ability "Move prone player" to bodyslam your poor razors on all those extra spikes!

I'm so glad that some one else has checked out "Dead Dwarves Don't Dance". Actually the protagonist Noose was going to be a Maverick assistant coach in the first cancelled kickstarter. Hopefully he will be revisited in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet session. The tight arena definitely looks harsh and immediate for player interaction. Oh your poor adversary bourbon-soaked sponge-brain!
I was sure inebriation would enhance one's die rolls, but obviously does nothing to prevent good card draw for the opponent!
IMCarnochan wrote:
We decided that was enough and that we needed to watch a Van Damme movie to finish things off properly.
Serious?

Can any 'ballers provide insight how the Katanas' arena plays compared to the Quad?

Cool session report, Reed. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His bourbon brain picked Double Impact... I voted Bloodsport, like a hundred times. But it worked. Then we ate large pieces of beef. It was a good day.

I need to pick up the Katanas board.

[edit - I "ned" to learn how to spell need]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jonan, I'll be doing a strategy thread under each of the arena board listings. My group has played on all of them but we want to get additional sessions in to try out all possible team combinations. Once I get a better sense on teams, abilities, and strategic adjustments I'll be better prepared to give a proper analysis. Until then our initial findings are that chop oriented teams benefit the most in the Dojo. The outer ring of the pit is actually removed! This creates a tighter play area that allows the Katanas 3 butcher lineup to get in close and personal quickly. With speed 5 and interrupting move even elusive razors will quickly be tracked down. Interrupting chop will make sure that you strike first, and automatic carve will ensure that no one escapes their grasp. Slower teams like Carnage and the Gruesomes also find the Dojo dimensions beneficial, and Fury with their quickness can charge and penetrate any slice in one turn. Goal oriented teams will find it easier to score but the points available will be less due to the goals being pushed closer to the center meat grinder. It's tough to set up the long hail mary goal without interference.

@Reed, apparently you and Erik of Frogthewhatgames have the same great taste. Check out this future Maverick Cleaver:

VJCD aka JCVD aka Jean Claude VanDamage!
He is a chop oriented maverick with his abilities centered around his flexibility and educated feet. I think they were SPINNING KICK, JUMP SPINNING KICK, and JUMP SPINNING SPLIT KICK! We came close to unlocking him in the kickstarter but unfortunately fell short. With all the new and dedicated coaches I'm sure that we will unlock both VJCD and the Barbarian. With razor Luly already unlocked all we will need is a Slasher to create our first "Maverick pack". Erik was planning on releasing Mavericks in 4 athlete boxes with one of each position represented.

For my personal favorite miniature:

Meet Four Fisted Farouk, a four armed butcher resembling a cross between Xerxes and Goro from Mortal Kombat! I'm sure this Persian might hold a grudge against your Greek Swords of Damocles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just told OCDave about the JCVD dude, he called dibbs. I don't think you can call dibbs on something that doesn't exist yet, but he says he can. I don't know if I trust him. Now I am glad we watched Double Impact, if I can get TWO VJCDs we can both have one. I am totally painting his guy like this VanDamme:

Hilarity will ensue, I have to paint the Fury Maverick now that I have my personal card. My girlfriends cats color scheme on a furious lion beast, should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Reed, Excellent Quad conflict! For coaches who like to get as crunchy as possible, it’s the best way to go.

Stallone, Arnold, JCVD, Chuck, Dolph, Seagal, Snipes, Mr. T, etc. Loved all those guys. So…. You’ll probably see some tributes in the future. I’m looking forward to creating maverick skills like Marked for Death, A Force of One, I Step On Necks, An Eye for an Eye, Simon Says Die, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErikFrog wrote:
Reed, Excellent Quad conflict! For coaches who like to get as crunchy as possible, it’s the best way to go.

Stallone, Arnold, JCVD, Chuck, Dolph, Seagal, Snipes, Mr. T, etc. Loved all those guys. So…. You’ll probably see some tributes in the future. I’m looking forward to creating maverick skills like Marked for Death, A Force of One, I Step On Necks, An Eye for an Eye, Simon Says Die, etc.

First off, I will thank you for the 719th time for making this game. Second off, every word of that last paragraph is making me want to put five bucks into an account for wave two. As for Mr T, I made OCDave a Mr T Clubber Lang miniature for a first player marker for any game we play (Also working on a Dragon Tides mod for him). My first time modding a figure, it was almost done in the pic.

Here is me after getting licked a hundred times by the little turd cat, giving her some of her own medicine. Side note, cats taste terrible.

Model primed, base coated and the wash is drying. Ready for a fur dry brush, then white markings, armor and details. Wash takes so long to dry... SOOOO LONG! I'm grabbing a fan. and building a slow lazy susan. Off to find a servo and some gears.

[edit to add Pic]

So far, so good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.