$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 98.02

6,249 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Assassin style Boardgame. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I'm done with play testing Empires destiny (My WIP game.) I am toying with the Idea of a Assassin style Board game. Maybe a similar combat style as Flick 'em Up!.

So do what do "You" think? Do you think this is a good Idea? Has it been done before? Do you think it sounds "Awesome!" Or, Is it stupid and I should forget about it...?

Let me know what ya think!

Thanks!

Marty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to expand on what you mean by "Assassin style". Do you mean like the live game Assassin (AKA Killer)? Do you mean like Assassin's Creed? Do you mean assassination in general?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to assassins creed I guess... I said what type of combat I'm gonna have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of King & Assassins as a reference. As a dexterity game I'm not so keen, theme never seems to come across in a dexterity game for me, they are all just flicking something at something else. I do however like the idea of a game themed around assassins be it fantasy or modern or science fiction. Run with your idea and see where it leads! Good luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Do you think this is a good Idea? Has it been done before? Do you think it sounds "Awesome!" Or, Is it stupid and I should forget about it...?
The idea isn't important; the execution is.

I like space explosions, but I have no interest in touching most space explosion games because they're not good. Conversely, I (and most other gamers) would never have had a preexisting interest in medieval subsistence farming, and yet there it is.

If you want a game to succeed in the marketplace, it has to be good. It has to be better than good; it has to stand out above the sea of good games. And that takes time. If you're going to commit the time necessary, then it has to be a game that interests you. The interests of other people are incidental.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
I know of King & Assassins as a reference. As a dexterity game I'm not so keen, theme never seems to come across in a dexterity game for me, they are all just flicking something at something else. I do however like the idea of a game themed around assassins be it fantasy or modern or science fiction. Run with your idea and see where it leads! Good luck!


Thanks man! Don't know for sure that's really what I'm going for, but don't know for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
Do you think this is a good Idea? Has it been done before? Do you think it sounds "Awesome!" Or, Is it stupid and I should forget about it...?
The idea isn't important; the execution is.

I like space explosions, but I have no interest in touching most space explosion games because they're not good. Conversely, I (and most other gamers) would never have had a preexisting interest in medieval subsistence farming, and yet there it is.

If you want a game to succeed in the marketplace, it has to be good. It has to be better than good; it has to stand out above the sea of good games. And that takes time. If you're going to commit the time necessary, then it has to be a game that interests you. The interests of other people are incidental.


Yes I agree, but there can be games that are done "Beautifully" but kinda lame because it's a stupid idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Yes I agree, but there can be games that are done "Beautifully" but kinda lame because it's a stupid idea.
Such as? Browsing the top 100 (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Power Grid, Brass, Caylus, Dominion, T&E, etc) makes this a hard argument to sustain.

(For crying out loud, there's a trilogy about the history of the German coal industry!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
There is no stupid idea, just poor execution.
How to discuss about stupid ideas when I even saw a game about farts and poo. Published games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
Yes I agree, but there can be games that are done "Beautifully" but kinda lame because it's a stupid idea.
Such as? Browsing the top 100 (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Power Grid, Brass, Caylus, Dominion, T&E, etc) makes this a hard argument to sustain.

(For crying out loud, there's a trilogy about the history of the German coal industry!)


Well I agree there is no game that is "Dumb" because it has a lame idea.

"But..." it can diffidently make it worse. A good Idea is always a great spot to start.

The Castles of Burgundy Looks like an awesome game. But, it probably would be better with a better idea/theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
lomn wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
Yes I agree, but there can be games that are done "Beautifully" but kinda lame because it's a stupid idea.
Such as? Browsing the top 100 (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Power Grid, Brass, Caylus, Dominion, T&E, etc) makes this a hard argument to sustain.

(For crying out loud, there's a trilogy about the history of the German coal industry!)


Well I agree there is no game that is "Dumb" because it has a lame idea.

"But..." it can diffidently make it worse. A good Idea is always a great spot to start.

The Castles of Burgundy Looks like an awesome game. But, it probably would be better with a better idea/theme.


Sometimes these kinds of games get a retheme that makes them more attractive; but that doesn't necessarily make the game better. When you have a strong theme, it can be difficult to make the elegant mechanics conform to not feel like the theme was pasted on - and these changes can hurt the mechanics. Or you DO end up with a game with elegant mechanics and a pasted on theme - I don't know that that is better.

So I softly reject this premise. City building, farming, and other similar ideas may be boring, but they are lightning rods for interesting mechanics that can help designers innovate. When you have something focused around characters or a story, it can push you in a certain direction pretty quickly (usually tactics or dungeon crawling).

Assassins/Assassin's creed would make an interesting board game I suppose. But in the style of flick 'em up? One of the things that stands out to me about the assassin theme is that of stealth. How do you handle stealth mechanics in a dexterity game?

On second thought... What if you are trying to flick your assassin to the goal while AVOIDING hitting the guards. As opposed to most of these games where you try to hit them. After each move the guards can be repositioned, either with an ai (patrol routes?) in a co-op version; or by the opposing player in pvp. Something like that might be interesting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.