Hide
7 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: *Spoiler* Final Voldemort Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
Wording on the card leaves me with a question - if I remove 3 control token using a single card, do I lose 3 health or 1?

The wording makes me believe it's 1 health, but I feel the power seems weak and that perhaps it was meant to be 1 health for each single token removed.

I guess what that means is - if I'm removing 3 tokens from a location by playing one card, does that count as a single instance of removing tokens, or do you count each token as it comes off the location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Meister
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played that each/every player loses one heart per token removed from the location. So if two tokens are removed, each player loses two hearts.

If I'm wrong, perhaps somebody else will chime in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
Wording on the card leaves me with a question

As a matter of etiquette, in the future you should actually post the wording of the card when asking questions like this. It saves others the trouble of having to get their game and dig the card out.

Quote:
if I remove 3 control token using a single card, do I lose 3 health or 1? The wording makes me believe it's 1 health

The wording says "Each time control is removed from the Location, all heroes lose 1 health."

This is very subtle, but I have to agree that you might be correct. It does not say "Each time a control is removed..." so there is some grammatical ambiguity here. Andrew will have to post to clarify what is meant.

Quote:
I guess what that means is - if I'm removing 3 tokens from a location by playing one card, does that count as a single instance of removing tokens, or do you count each token as it comes off the location?

If you play a card that removes control and also somehow triggers an ability that removes another token, I would treat those as separate instances. The card says "Each time" not "each turn" or "each card." Outside the Deluminator and few villain rewards, there is no way to remove multiple control tokens with a single trigger.

Also as an aside, I cannot think of a way to remove three control with a single card. I can think of way to remove three control by assigning an attack token to a villain, but receiving an attack token and assigning an attack token are different actions. I realize this is a bit nit-picky, but in some sense this answers your question. If you play Expecto Patronum (gain 1 attack, remove 1 control) this is one action. If assigning that attack allows you to fulfill the requirements for Confundus, not only is that a separate action, but it is the Confundus card removing the second control, not the Patronum card. If killing the villain also lets you remove control, you could maybe argue its the same action, but it is still a different trigger coming from a different card (the villain card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
davypi wrote:
Also as an aside, I cannot think of a way to remove three control with a single card.

Not really a card - but using the Nagini horcrux special ability is what I had in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had forgotten about that. So again, I think Andrew is the only person who can definitively answer this. That said, nearly all of his rule clarifications have worked against the player. I would expect that V's ability is going to trigger once per token removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I had forgotten about that. So again, I think Andrew is the only person who can definitively answer this. That said, nearly all of his rule clarifications have worked against the player. I would expect that V's ability is going to trigger once per token removed.

That is correct. Each time a [CONTROL] token is removed, all Heroes lose 1 [HEALTH]. So if you use the Deluminator (remove 2 [CONTROL]), all Heroes would lose 2 [HEALTH], assuming there are two tokens to remove.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
nethershadow wrote:
davypi wrote:

That is correct. Each time a [CONTROL] token is removed, all Heroes lose 1 [HEALTH]. So if you use the Deluminator (remove 2 [CONTROL]), all Heroes would lose 2 [HEALTH], assuming there are two tokens to remove.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

Thanks - I think that was the last card that was making me question the ruling. The 'a' in front of [CONTROL] in your post makes it totally clear; the lack of it on the card lead to the question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.