Subject: Stuck on game 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Young
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
new user
So I know the first 2 games are essentially the tutorial, and the difficulty ramps up for game 3. But we are just not able to even come close to beating game 3. We've played deck builders before, and I think we understand the rules and concepts well enough. The closest we ever got was having the last 2 villains on the table, but they we barely damaged.

What seems to be happening is that the dark arts and villain cards are comboing off of each other to deal 5+ damage on ones turn and we barely have time to heal before more damage is taken. And then we also have a heck of a time getting our own decks built up. We frequently pull 4 or 5 Alohamora's and can't do damage. We buy cards to augment each deck specifically but the strategies never seem to play out like we want.

We also get stunned frequently, at least 3 times each in each game, primarily because of the aforementioned huge damage drops. I know other people have said the difficulty ramps up eventually, but we can't even get past game 3.

Any suggestions for us? What are we missing? Does it sound like there is a rule we don't understand? Is it just a run of bad luck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
While you may take a bunch of damage on one turn it shouldn't be happening that often. I'm not sure if you're playing anything wrong because you didn't give any details. How many people are playing and which characters are you using?

Game 3 has 8 villains of which only two are in play at any given time.

1. Draco isn't too bad as he only deals damage sporadically.
2. Crabbe & Goyle aren't too bad either but can be a pain if Tom is making you discard cards.
3. Quirell inflicts 1 damage every turn but that isn't too bad.
4. Lucius isn't very painful at all. You can usually overcome any damage he heals.
5. The Basilisk can be a pain if you need to draw cards but early in the game it isn't much of a problem.
6. Tom may cause some trouble as you'll have an Ally in hand every other turn at start. Plus he has that look like he knows you're going to lose. Get rid of him!
7. Wormtail is either very easy at the start or extremely painful once your decks are built up.
8. The Dementor causes two damage per turn and you want to get rid of him as soon as possible.

You'll want to manage your villains. The ones I've ranked 1-4 are what I consider easy villains. When one of these shows up keep him around for a while and concentrate on dealing with the other. If you get two easy villains then you can concentrate on building your decks and healing.

Staying on the first location as long as possible is also key to winning, preferably staying there the entire game.

Getting stunned is a hindrance but shouldn't be game ending. Make sure you are playing that properly.

Or it could just be bad luck. Try again and see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The control markers are essentially the timer for the game. Everything you can do to prevent or remove them gives you more time. Stunning is going to happen. It's built-in to add to that timer. Healing yourself just slows it down a bit.

Some combos are just worse than others. Have you tried it again? Concentrate your attacks on the worst of the villains. If there are 2 "easy" villains out, you can consider leaving them out there and splitting up the attacks between them and concentrate on building your decks longer, and then take them out so their rewards can give you the most benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I would add to what has already been said is that you may need to try going more on the offensive. This was the big thing holding me back from getting past year four. If you've not yet read my strategy guide, I do a little bit of math showing that, in most cases, one attack is more valuable than two healing. If you're spending time worried about getting stunned or overly focused on deck building instead of taking care of enemies, you are likely holding yourself back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach z
Australia
flag msg tools
I have had similar problems with game 3 - It seems OK with 2 players but I am doing a 4 player play with my family. We easily beat year one and two but were not even close to beating year 3.

Part of it is I think we had some really bad dark arts draws to begin with combined with a combination of hard villains to start. In the first two rounds (8 turns) before any new cards we bought had come out we had pretty much already lost the first location due to almost all of the add token dark arts events. And then with the 2 dark arts cards per turn we never really recovered. By the time we got to midgame we were taking so much damage that we were being stunned frequently and between losing cards from the stuns and the Basilisk which decided to then show up we never had enough cards to do anything.

We lost the last location with 3 villain left (2 visible and 1 still in the pile) and it seemed to us that it would have been impossible for us to win this game. Hopefully when we try again we get a better draw.

So yes - I agree that Year 3 is VERY hard with 4 players. I think alot of people who are not having any issues are playing with 2 or 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
zacz wrote:
So yes - I agree that Year 3 is VERY hard with 4 players. I think alot of people who are not having any issues are playing with 2 or 3 players.

This theme keeps coming up on here and I think it's one of the issues I'd like to see the developers chime in on. I'm playing with just my daughter at this point. In 15 games or so, we've lost a single time where we honestly just got screwed over by the cards big time; we were also something like 1 card from winning. Other than that single time, it has been a Location 1 victory with almost nothing left on the location.

The trend I see from people having a hard time is that they're playing with more people.

I'm wondering how the game was balanced or if it even was (not a slight at the developers in any way, but sheer curiosity). The only co-op deck builder I have to compare this to is Legendary, which does change the setup based on players. Clearly there was need to adjust how the game was laid out based on how many people were attempting to play it. This game doesn't have that, and I'm starting to think that it needs it.

We played once with 4 players and it was Game 2 - which we did lose. Then I've played a few games with 3 players and won all of those.

Unfortunately, my son is early in the series and my wife isn't much of a gamer. So I don't really have a way to test out different player numbers on the final game myself; it's just me and my daughter at this point.

We are going to try one of the variants for next game that's supposed to make the game harder, just to see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
I'm wondering how the game was balanced or if it even was (not a slight at the developers in any way, but sheer curiosity). The only co-op deck builder I have to compare this to is Legendary, which does change the setup based on players. Clearly there was need to adjust how the game was laid out based on how many people were attempting to play it. This game doesn't have that, and I'm starting to think that it needs it.

Big Book of Madness has a similar problem in that the difficulty goes up with the player count. Because the game has a fixed number of turns, you ultimately end up with fewer turns per player. Anything you do to improve your deck will cycle through less often. I'm not sure that deck builders need to be singled out here either. Pandemic has a similar problem in that the difficulty goes up at higher player counts. Its harder to trade cards to get a cure and each player has fewer actions to respond to whatever crisis is occurring on the board.

With regards to Hogwarts, I can't address this properly without possibly revealing some spoilers, so this might sound a little obtuse. There is a new mechanic in year six that significantly changes the game play, specifically with respect to how you set up the game up. I have found that the choices made with respect to this mechanic have a much greater impact on the game than the player count does. I don't play the game on earlier years anymore as I feel the real meat and potatoes of the game are in year seven, so I can't really address the problems of three vs four players in years 3-5. Player count still has an influence in years six and seven, but the setup choices and deck building decisions will overcome it. A four player game with good decisions will win most games and, similarly, a two player game with bad decisions will lose more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:

Legendary does change the setup based on players, but for most combinations it is a *much* harder game with 5 players than two. The larger villain deck as player count increases doesn't compensate for how much slower each deck improves as the player count increases.

In this game the game clock doesn't change with more players, but the compensating item would be benefit-all-players player cards, which increase dramatically in power as the player count increases. (Legendary has a few heroes like that, but not many.) I agree this doesn't keep the difficulty level constant through the first three years, but I don't know that will still hold for future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
With regards to Hogwarts, I can't address this properly without possibly revealing some spoilers, so this might sound a little obtuse. There is a new mechanic in year six that significantly changes the game play, specifically with respect to how you set up the game up. I have found that the choices made with respect to this mechanic have a much greater impact on the game than the player count does. I don't play the game on earlier years anymore as I feel the real meat and potatoes of the game are in year seven, so I can't really address the problems of three vs four players in years 3-5. Player count still has an influence in years six and seven, but the setup choices and deck building decisions will overcome it. A four player game with good decisions will win most games and, similarly, a two player game with bad decisions will lose more often.

My wife and I are 2-2 on Game 7, and those two wins came after reading your strategy post, so it's not unduly hard with two players. Last weekend we had the chance to play with four, so we played Game 3 to introduce the new players, won that, then played Game 5, and lost just four attacks short.

The difference we felt was less the number of times you get to play your cards, and more the number of Dark Arts events each player has to survive before their next turn. In that Game 5, my hand went from five cards at the end of my turn, to two cards at the start of my next turn thanks to seven or eight DA events in between. With those two cards I could only get two attacks, and couldn't draw any more cards (the next card would have been Dobby!). "Game over, man! Game over!" as Ron had shouted in the Forest of Dean (I think, I wasn't really paying attention to the movie).

So I'm looking forward to playing Game 7 with four players, and seeing what difference the you-know-whats make. I probably could have got that Dobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this game is self balancing with the player counts due to a few of the mechanics. Provided people are focusing their decks on one or two aspects of play and not just getting the most powerful expensive card they can (to heck with everyone else) every turn, higher player counts are manageable.

Effects can affect SELF, ANY, TWO or ALL of the heroes.
TWO is effectively ALL in a two player game, but the extra bonuses from the ALL effects cannot be ignored in four player games. For this reason, higher player counts may want to favor ALL effects over SELF/ANY/TWO effects.

Decks are smaller in a 4 player game, so they can be more focused on what they are good at. Fellow Heroes can clear the cards in Hogwarts that might be clogging the path for the more focused decks. Learning each character's potential decks helps towards this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach z
Australia
flag msg tools
I agree BT that the cards that effect all players do help balance the game - but there are also not many of these in game 3. Most of them come in to play in game four and later.

Also you say decks in 4 player are more focused - I agree that they are smaller but this does not mean that you have the cards you need. It is likely they don't come up or you cannot afford them (as you don't have the extra time to buy money making cards).

Once again I think this improves in later games but in game 3 four player is a definite disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.