United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
My personal blog :: http://peasantmuse.blogspot.com
badge
The Woodsman- Ivan Kramskoy, 1874
mbmbmbmbmb
Went through a solo-4p session today in order to become familiar with the rules. Really enjoyed my session and found that the rules almost always made sense, even if some key info was hidden in the glossary. (No big deal, just a reminder you need to read the entire rule book to comprehend everything.)

One rule I still haven't quite parsed regards supplanting parasites. Let's say Yellow has their parasite attached to Blue's bacteria and has two diseased cubes taken from Blue's mutations. Green wishes to supplant Yellow and is able to grab two available cubes from Blue's mutations. (Blue has been very busy)

In this scenario, is it correct that Green cannot supplant Yellow bc even with two disease cubes it does not have more than Yellow? What if Green takes two disease cubes from Yellow? The wording of the rules make it sound like you have to acquire more cubes than the original parasite started with and not what it ends up with. If this is true, then it would be impossible to supplant any parasite with two cubes.

I am almost positive I'm getting this rule wrong. From my playthrough it seems that parasite play is key towards checking the growth of an opponent and spreading your risk that another player gets on the fast track to microorganism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules indeed say that, to be successful, a supplanting parasite must end up with more Diseased cubes than the parasite it is supplanting. I added a final sentence to the living rules (E4) to emphasize this:

• Supplant success. The supplanting Parasite takes his Diseased cubes from the Mutation cubes of the Host and/or the Diseased cubes of the incumbent Parasite. Supplantation succeeds if the supplanting Parasite now has more Diseased cubes per E3 than the incumbent Parasite did before being liberated. Accordingly, a Parasite with its maximum of two Diseased cubes can’t be supplanted.

In our playtests, a well-matched parasite had to be wounded in a Red Queen before it could be supplanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.