Hide
22 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Road to Legend app and quest builder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
Hi all, I tried asking these on the BGG FB page but noone has replied so I thought I might have better luck here. Here goes.

1. How many quests (not campaigns) come with the Road to Legend app?
2. I think I saw this quest builder app somewhere (quest vault I think it's called). Has that been released?
3. If the quest builder exists, does it work in conjunction with the Road to Legend app? I guess I wanted to know if "exploration" is still a possibility with the quest builder.
4. I went through the forums and found that there is this fan made variant called RAOV (redjak's automated overlord variant) and it works well with the quests that come with the core box. So does it also work on any of the expansions? (or would Redjak need to add more cards etc for each of the expansions?)

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer some of your questions:
1. I don't know, but RTL has the potential to be an long-term supply of cooperative play.
2. The quest vault is a resource hosted by FFG for fan-created content. It is not connected to RTL - it is for standard overlord vs heroes quests. (No coop material was available last time I checked, but I haven't been there in awhile.)
3. Redjak has produced two variants: RAOV for cooperative play against an automated overlord. The overlord deck is used, with overlord cards triggered by the game state (the overlord cards that might trigger are visible to the heroes, of course). The other variant is RAMV (automated monster variant). This does not make use of the overlord cards. Rather, the monsters will react to their environment. Just read the rules for each variant to get a better idea for how they work. I haven't tried RAMV yet, but RAOV works well once you get the hang of it. Both of these variants can be used with all descent content that has been released, and so is a tremendous resource for people heavily invested but without access to a regular game group.

Yes, Redjak has to add more cards with each new expansion, and he has already done so. It is an astonishing achievement.

There are other automated overlord variants. Check the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
Very nice, thanks very much for that. Oh one more thing. So would RAOV work with custom fan made quests? I haven't checked out the rules but sounds like it wouldn't work with custom quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
To fill out the answer some more:

The app has at the time of writing:
9 campaign quests
8 side quests + 16 unlockable with expansions.

It also has delve which can be seen as a very short campaign or very long quests of 6 stages. It has:
20 stages + 33 unlockable with expansions.
Note that delve itself is an in app purchase.

The quests vault doesn't support the app and appears abandoned.

There is also Valkyrie which comes with one quest and has an editor:
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAOV works with anything in the quest vault, so long as the rules of play from the base game preside. AFAIK, RAMV wouldn't work with fan-made content. But like I said, I haven't used it yet. I could be wrong about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
BruceLGL wrote:

9 campaign quests

It also has delve which can be seen as a very short campaign or very long quests of 6 stages. It has:

Thanks Bruce. Just some clarifications. With the unlockable quests with expansions, I assume you meant the board game expansions (eg Lair of Wyrm etc)? So the 16 unlockable assumes you have ALL expansions? If you only had 1 expansion for example, that you would only unlock 1 or 2 extra quests?

I also assume that Delve works fine if you only had the core game?

So what is this Valkyrie app? It is a quest editor like the official quest vault? If so, how is it different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
oilerfan wrote:
RAOV works with anything in the quest vault, so long as the rules of play from the base game preside. AFAIK, RAMV wouldn't work with fan-made content. But like I said, I haven't used it yet. I could be wrong about that.

Thanks Jason. I think what I'm interested in is the RAOV anyway, at least at this stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
Coolspidey wrote:
BruceLGL wrote:

9 campaign quests

Thanks Bruce. Just some clarifications. With the unlockable quests with expansions, I assume you meant the board game expansions (eg Lair of Wyrm etc)? So the 16 unlockable assumes you have ALL expansions? If you only had 1 expansion for example, that you would only unlock 1 or 2 extra quests?

I also assume that Delve works fine if you only had the core game?

So what is this Valkyrie app? It is a quest editor like the official quest vault? If so, how is it different?

Each boxed expansion unlocks 1 quest and 3-7 stages.

Each Hero and Monster pack unlocks 1 quests.

In my opinion the delve benefits a lot from expansions, as it makes good use of tiles and monsters and the extra stages help.

Valkyrie is an alternative to the official FFG app. It does exactly the same thing, but quests only no delve/campaign at this stage and has a quest editor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
BruceLGL wrote:

Each boxed expansion unlocks 1 quest and 3-7 stages.

Each Hero and Monster pack unlocks 1 quests.

In my opinion the delve benefits a lot from expansions, as it makes good use of tiles and monsters and the extra stages help.

Valkyrie is an alternative to the official FFG app. It does exactly the same thing, but quests only no delve/campaign at this stage and has a quest editor.

Oh sorry, what are stages?

So Valkyrie is Road to Legend + Quest editor in one basically? Does that mean they support each other? I understand that with the standard quests, there are no explorations (no random tiles) but with the app, you do have that. So with Valkyrie, one can create a quest with randomised tiles?

Thanks for answering these questions btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
In The Delve, each "quest" is tiny, often using 5 or fewer tiles with almost none hiding anything behind a door like in the Kindred Fire and Rise of all Goblins campaigns and side quests. Each of these is a "Stage".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
Coolspidey wrote:

So Valkyrie is Road to Legend + Quest editor in one basically? Does that mean they support each other? I understand that with the standard quests, there are no explorations (no random tiles) but with the app, you do have that. So with Valkyrie, one can create a quest with randomised tiles?

Thanks for answering these questions btw.

Valerie does not support road to legend quests, but it does use the artwork and events from road to legend.

You can create a quest that picks tiles randomly, but it has to be hand crafted, Valkyrie won't match up the different tile sides and joints for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
Cool thanks everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
Oh one more question!

I realised that there is this campaign book called Heirs of Blood. I assume RAOV works with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
RAOV is designed to work with any quest, published by FFG or made up by fans. It has "Encounter objective" cards that are mostly common sense for assigning "Engage" behavior to key monsters, so you can reasonably figure out what they would instruct you to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
Coolspidey wrote:
Oh one more question!

I realised that there is this campaign book called Heirs of Blood. I assume RAOV works with this?

Be careful with this, the latest printing of descent comes with this campaign, the book is for people with older printings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
BruceLGL wrote:
Be careful with this, the latest printing of descent comes with this campaign, the book is for people with older printings.

Oh thanks for that. So how do I know if my copy has this campaign (haven't bought it yet)? Would it say "Heirs of Blood" or you could tell from the number of quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Open up the quest guide. If the Introduction quest is "First Blood", you have a copy of the Shadow Rune campaign.
If the introduction is "Acolyte of Saradyn", you have Heirs of Blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
foxreinard wrote:
Open up the quest guide. If the Introduction quest is "First Blood", you have a copy of the Shadow Rune campaign.
If the introduction is "Acolyte of Saradyn", you have Heirs of Blood.

Ok thanks! So if you have Acolyte of Saradyn, does that mean that you have both Shadow Rune and Heirs of Blood? Or Shadow Rune would have been replaced by Heirs of Blood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
As I understand it, they replaced the Shadow Rune campaign with Heirs of Blood. In my opinion, Heirs is much better with a more cohesive narrative connecting the quests and better use of the lieutenants. Shadow Rune felt to me like it was just a bunch of different quests thrown together, shoehorning in the story behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
Right cool thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Vela
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another way to see if the Core Box that you are buying has the Heirs of Blood Campaign instead of the Shadow Rune, before buying anything, is to see the "Game Components" (you know, the table at the back of the box). If it says "a campaign book" then that box has the Shadow Rune, but, if it says "two campaign books" then it comes with Heirs of Blood". This because the Heirs of Blood Campaign that comes with the Core Box is divided into two books, as to why they did this...I don't know hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitzgerald Limisella
msg tools
Velaur wrote:
Another way to see if the Core Box that you are buying has the Heirs of Blood Campaign instead of the Shadow Rune, before buying anything, is to see the "Game Components" (you know, the table at the back of the box). If it says "a campaign book" then that box has the Shadow Rune, but, if it says "two campaign books" then it comes with Heirs of Blood". This because the Heirs of Blood Campaign that comes with the Core Box is divided into two books, as to why they did this...I don't know hehe

Very nice, thanks for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.