4 Posts

Cutthroat Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
1) If someone gets the YES card after being attacked by the Wereboar, do the party go straight into the 10th encounter? or do you draw back to 7, use potions and THEN go into the encounter?

If so, when someone uses potion of iron skin, the Wereboar player lost?

2) Cards like Edge out and Mixed signals, which can be played on a face down attack card, are they meant to be used when everyone has set their attack cards? or can they be used during the round itself?

Example: in a 6 players game, everyone set their attack cards and players #1-3 play their cards.
At this point, can player #1 used EDGE OUT on players #4,5,6?
If yes, can he tell them to wait while he thinks it out?
I had a friend who paused the game for about 1~2 minutes before every player reveled his face down cards because he wanted to think if he wants to EDGE OUT the face down card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the questions! See below:

1) If someone gets the YES card after being attacked by the Wereboar, do the party go straight into the 10th encounter? or do you draw back to 7, use potions and THEN go into the encounter?

------- Like any Encounter, you draw back your full hand and have the ability to use potions. Yes.

----- Not sure that I understand your question well enough. Can you ask it a different way?

2) Cards like Edge out and Mixed signals, which can be played on a face down attack card, are they meant to be used when everyone has set their attack cards? or can they be used during the round itself?

Example: in a 6 players game, everyone set their attack cards and players #1-3 play their cards.
I had a friend who paused the game for about 1~2 minutes before every player reveled his face down cards because he wanted to think if he wants to EDGE OUT the face down card.

---------Yes. Edge Out can played ANYTIME BEFORE a given player reveals their attack. And yes, a player may call a temporary hold, while they consider. BUT, I would say 1-2 minutes is WAY too long. There is no need for that kind of delay. Technically, there is no rule against it, but I would gently encourage them to decide within 30 seconds or so. Analysis paralysis can drain the fun out of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
Smirky wrote:

Thanks for the questions! See below:

------- Like any Encounter, you draw back your full hand and have the ability to use potions. Yes.

----- Not sure that I understand your question well enough. Can you ask it a different way?

---------Yes. Edge Out can played ANYTIME BEFORE a given player reveals their attack. And yes, a player may call a temporary hold, while they consider. BUT, I would say 1-2 minutes is WAY too long. There is no need for that kind of delay. Technically, there is no rule against it, but I would gently encourage them to decide within 30 seconds or so. Analysis paralysis can drain the fun out of games.

Hello Curt,
First of all, let me thank you for answering me so fast and thoroughly.
I just want to say that your game is a blast, and me and my friends are having so much fun (and frustration) playing it! its been played for 3 consecutive times now.

What I meant about the potion of iron skin, is that when its activated the player cannot take damage in this encounter, so if the wereboar player is facing someone with this potion activated, he cannot win.

I had something similiar happen to me today with the Relic that makes it so you reflect any damage you get from Warrior or Beast type encounters back at them, the wereboar player couldn't do anything against that player.

We had a couple of more issues I'd like to ask you about, but I'll do that later, Im dead tired after the game we just played (the Wereboar player actually won since I killed the guy with the relic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Potion of Iron Skin does make a player invulnerable to damage. So, in that case, they could not be killed by Wereboar. They may or may not win with enough Prestige however. I have also seen a player with Iron Skin enter an infinite loop with Fear and Spite, where the player can not do enough damage to the creature to kill it - and the creature can't kill the player. But to win, you must defeat all the encounters -- so it counts as a loss in an unwinnable, unescapable conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.