Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Evans
United Kingdom
UXBRIDGE
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played for the first time. The (English) rules say that the points for final scoring "are added." (The French rules say the same, I think, and I don't have the German to be sure what they say.)

I assumed this meant that these points are added up. However, it occurred to me that it could mean that they are added to players' current strength. This would give players a reason for keeping their strength up in the last rounds (when Heroism otherwise renders it pointless).

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Paul,

yea - you are right.

Bernd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
United Kingdom
UXBRIDGE
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Bernd.

What do you think of the idea of adding players' final scores to their final strength? It seems odd that what players have built up during the game has no effect on scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pevans wrote:
Thanks, Bernd.

What do you think of the idea of adding players' final scores to their final strength? It seems odd that what players have built up during the game has no effect on scoring.

Paul, I think you've misunderstood Bernd's reply. Your final score is calculated by adding the number of armies, city/oasis points and 3 points per rotated card to your strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
United Kingdom
UXBRIDGE
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Pevans wrote:
Thanks, Bernd.

Paul, I think you've misunderstood Bernd's reply. Your final score is calculated by adding the number of armies, city/oasis points and 3 points per rotated card to your strength.

That's not how I read it. I said "I assumed this meant that these points are added up" and Bernd replied "yea - you are right." I don't read his reply as a comment on my suggestion of adding players' final strengths to these points...

I guess we need further clarification. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that Bernd's reply above is ambiguous but I think the rules are fairly clear on the matter.

From the 'Goal of the Game' section:
Quote:
...to build the strongest civilization by the end of the game!

From the 'Final Score and Winner' section:
Quote:
In order to determine your overall Strength, the following values are added:

Also note the description of the Camouflage card:
Quote:
Immediately gain +4 Strength. This will be deducted at the end of the game, however, and will not count towards your final score!

The implies to me that your strength rating forms the basis for your score at the end of the game and is modified by the additional factors (tapped cards, armies on board and occupied oasis/cities).

And text in the solo rules also suggests this interpretation:
Quote:
At the end of the game add to MaXXimilian’s strength on the Strength track the score of his Army figures, occupied cities and oases on the board just as you do with your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Yes, I was too fast and overreaded something.
Sure - the bonusscore at the end (strength for coins, Armies, occupied cities + oases, fame sets) will be added to the strength the player earned during the game through all of his cards!

Greetings
Bernd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
United Kingdom
UXBRIDGE
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irongames wrote:
Hello!

Sure - the bonusscore at the end (strength for coins, Armies, occupied cities + oases, fame sets) will be added to the strength the player earned during the game through all of his cards!

Greetings
Bernd

Thanks, Bernd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
United Kingdom
UXBRIDGE
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
And text in the solo rules also suggests this interpretation:
Quote:
At the end of the game add to MaXXimilian’s strength on the Strength track the score of his Army figures, occupied cities and oases on the board just as you do with your own.

Good point - I haven't looked at the solo game yet. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irongames wrote:
Hello!

Greetings
Bernd

I made this mistake in my first game.

So, just confirming, the rules should read:

Final Score and Winner
In order to determine your overall Strength, the following values are added to your current strength:

Hence the mystery is resolved as to why the cities and oases have strength values (and not victory points, or some other points term), if possessing them doesn't add to a player's strength during the game.

So the camouflage card is worth 4 strength during play, and zero points for final scoring. (Nobody took the card in our first game because minus 4 to the final score didn't seem worth it for the short term strength gain.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.