6,658 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42% of Goal | left

Support:

Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm never sure if it's better to do lots of threads with specific titles rather than one big one but going for the big one this time If I'm honest I'm mostly just checking these things, most of them can definitely be resolved by just reading the Rules Reference but there were one or two I thought I'd check where the interpretation went wide.

Just realised someone beat me to the experience cost question in this thread so please ignore the first one.

1) Experience point costs - Does upgrading a level zero card to the same-named card of a higher level give a discount of one on the purchase cost? Rules Reference (page 5) reads as follows:

- "Each card costs experience equal to the card's level, to a minimum of 1 (purchasing a level zero card still costs 1 experience)."

- "When purchasing a higher level version of a card with the same title, the investigator may choose to "upgrade" that card by paying only the difference in experience (to a minimum of 1) between the two cards"

(Italics as per the source)

So if we apply this, each card costs experience equal to its level, and level zero cards still costs 1. I want to upgrade my copy of "Lucky!", from its level zero version to its level two version. Do I get the discount of 1 experience from the fact that level zero cards are still valued at cost 1?

Current interpretation - No, but mostly because I've been applying the Grim Rule, not because I think it's not possible. I feel the discount would be appropriate to have in the sense that it represents your current training in something going further or your character trading in their asset for a better one (i.e. the previous asset still holds some value), hard to thematically justify an ally upgrade but perhaps it represents the way your character interacts with them and works with them getting better?

2a) Splitting damage assignation - When I take 2 generic damage/horror (as opposed to direct or something) can I split assign this across assets and myself? Let's say I'm playing as Agnes with a Holy Rosary (2 sanity) and I take 3 horror; can I apply 1 to the Rosary then 2 to myself or do I have to apply as much as I can to the Rosary before myself? Obviously I can choose to apply it all to myself instead of the Rosary if I want to but I'm just checking how far the splitting goes.

2b) The Rules Reference (page 7) states that "All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an asset must be assigned to the investigator", which carries the weird interpretation that you have to assign to assets before yourself in all instances. However that doesn't feel like the design intention at all, especially as that bullet point runs off the back of the one about assigning to assets, so I'm probably just being overly critical of it.

Current interpretation - 2a you can split as much as you like, 2b you can assign to yourself over your assets as you please.

3) Free triggered abilities and multiple use - I mean the ones with the lightning bolt style squiggle next to them - Can you use these as many time in a round as you can afford? Almost every ability that has a limit per round on it expressing that limit so I've assumed I can keep on sinking resources into my Hard Knocks as long as I can afford it!

Current interpretation - Go wild; spend, spend, spend! As a side note, I'm not sure how good those booster talent cards actually are but I have played games where I've resources flowing jollily so they've been okay then.

4a) Monsters with specific spawn instructions - When you draw a monster with a specific spawn location that is not yet in play do you discard it? Rules Reference (page 19) is very clear about this as far as I can tell: "If an enemy has no legal location to spawn at (for example, if its spawn instruction directs it to a specific location that is not in play, or if no location in play satisfies its "spawn" instruction), it does not spawn, and is discarded instead."

4b) Assuming the monsters with spawn that cannot spawn are discarded, do you draw another encounter card to replace it? Nothing anywhere suggests that you do but I just wondered.

Current interpretation - 4a) They really do just disappear as I read it. 4b) No extra draw, win!

5) Monster movement with engaged investigators - I can't remember where I read it but I feel absolutely certain that if a monster is engaged with you and a card effect moves you somewhere else then the monster comes with you, is anyone able to evidence this for me? I'm, of course, thinking specifically of the card:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
On Wings of Darkness from scenario 2, text reads: "Test Agility (4). If you fail, take 1 damage and 1 horror. Then, disengage from each non-Nightgaunt enemy engaged with you and move to a Central location." (emphasis from the source) - So if I have a Nightgaunt attached to me, I assume it comes with me? Thematically I understand it's carrying me but in other scenarios that use this effect then it might have a different context.

Current interpretation - Yes they move with you.

6) Basic weaknesses - The Learn to Play (page 14) gives a really clear example of how to add a random basic weakness to your deck, indicating that you use a complete set of all the basic weaknesses that come with each product (but you ignore additional sets that you would get from additional copies of the same product, i.e. two core sets). However, the example they give only applies for one investigator. If I'm building 2 investigator decks for the same campaign and have two core sets, do I refresh the card that the first one took as their random basic weakness with another copy that I have from my second core set thus recreating the initial set or do I just draw from the remaining ones? Would the answer change if I was building decks for 4 investigators in the same campaign? Would the answer change if I had two campaigns running?

Current interpretation - I'm drawing from the remaining ones, partly because it's more fun to have different weaknesses between characters in the same campaign (of course excepting the two duplicate weaknesses in one core set). Even if there were 4 decks being built I'd still use the same pool as long as all four decks were for the same campaign. If I was running two separate campaigns I think I'd want to refresh the available pool to the original complete set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Danev
Bulgaria
Dimitrovgrad/Plovdiv
Haskovo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here for almost the same questions, thanks for this post, Im waiting for answers too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Sacred Voice wrote:
I'm never sure if it's better to do lots of threads with specific titles

Its always best to search the forums for existing threads that answer the question. It would have saved you all that typing

Quote:
2a) Splitting damage assignation - When I take 2 generic damage/horror (as opposed to direct or something) can I split assign this across assets and myself?

Yes in any way you like providing it does not exceed the asset’s maximum.
You may exceed your maximum. But then you are defeated.
Quote:

2b) The Rules Reference (page 7) states that "All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an asset must be assigned to the investigator", which carries the weird interpretation that you have to assign to assets before yourself in all instances.

Don’t panic. It is just there to stop you assigning more than the maximum to an Asset card.

Quote:
3) Free triggered abilities and multiple use - I mean the ones with the lightning bolt style squiggle next to them - Can you use these as many time in a round as you can afford? Almost every ability that has a limit per round on it expressing that limit so I've assumed I can keep on sinking resources into my Hard Knocks as long as I can afford it!
Current interpretation - Go wild; spend, spend, spend!

Correct.

Quote:
4a) Monsters with specific spawn instructions - When you draw a monster with a specific spawn location that is not yet in play do you discard it? Rules Reference (page 19) is very clear about this as far as I can tell

Then why are you asking. Be very grateful for this temporary reprieve.

Quote:
4b) Assuming the monsters with spawn that cannot spawn are discarded, do you draw another encounter card to replace it? Nothing anywhere suggests that you do...

So why worry. You don’t. See how it says each investigator draws one encounter card? Do that. Don’t keep drawing unless you see the Surge keyword.

Quote:
5) Monster movement with engaged investigators - I can't remember where I read it but I feel absolutely certain that if a monster is engaged with you and a card effect moves you somewhere else then the monster comes with you, is anyone able to evidence this for me?

Its on page 10 of the RR - Enemy Engagement
“...should the Investigator move, the enemy remains engaged and moves to the new location simultaneously with the investigator.”

Before you ask, Barricade will remove the engaged monster if the investigator passes through it.

Quote:
6) Basic weaknesses - The Learn to Play (page 14) gives a really clear example of how to add a random basic weakness to your deck, indicating that you use a complete set of all the basic weaknesses that come with each product (but you ignore additional sets that you would get from additional copies of the same product, i.e. two core sets).

The game is designed to only have so many weaknesses in play at once. If you are playing one or two boxes, one to four players you should not have more than one copy of Paranoia or two of Amnesia. This ensures everyone has the same play experience.

I hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Snip.

Many thanks! Pretty much everything as I had expected so good to know my inner rules lawyer has done an okay job this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Crisman
United States
Decatur
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in regards to the the Enemy Engagement rules...

Enemies engaged with an Investigator move with them if the Investigator moves, but in one specific situation
The Door on the Floor
the card states to
Discard each Enemy in the Study
Since "Each Enemy in an investigators threat area is considered to be at the same location as that Investigator" (pg. 10), do I
discard a ghoul engaged with me before I'm forced to move to the Hallway? Or does he move with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
The discard enemies happens first.
Then the investigators are moved to the hallway.

Just do things the way they are written on the card in order.

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.