Winsome Games» Forums » General

Subject: How do people get Winsome games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bleicher
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a silly question, but I'm a bit confused about how Winsome Games works and I couldn't find a website for them. From what I've read it seems they sell the games directly at Essen, but I couldn't find any info on retailers or how to order directly from them, if that's an option.

It seems some of their games are made without boxes, which is great for foreign orders as that would save a lot in shipping (I've bought W1815 directly from Finland and it was ridiculously cheap, as the game could be sent in a big envelope).

I got Chicago Express and fell in love with it, which made me quite curious about all other designs that weren't picked up by other publishers with a "regular" distribution model.

So, how do people buy Winsome games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to get information on Winsome games availability is to join the Winsome Yahoo group.

Winsome publishes a set of games each year for Essen. For people that will not be at Essen, there is an unnumbered set that is made available in July of each year. You have about 24 hours to put in a request for this set before it sells out.

Other than that, you can watch the marketplace and auctions here on BGG as games do become available from time to time. Noble Knight Games frequently have some available, though expensive. Ebay will have some, though many of those are from Noble Knight Games.

Good luck! It can be a challenging treasure hunt.

Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's what I feared... Well, I've entered the Yahoo mailing list and made a geeklist (Winsome games picked up by other publishers) to keep track of those games that got republished by other companies (I was surprised there was not such list before, or I didn't search too well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a Winsome but if you like such games you should have a look at American Rails (it is also easier to pick up a copy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
It is not a Winsome but if you like such games you should have a look at American Rails (it is also easier to pick up a copy).

Yeah, I'm aware of that one, thanks! I was between that one and Chicago Express and slightly inclined for the first, but Chicago Express just happened to be the one I saw for sale first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Winsome Games publishes ~three games and a handful of expansions each year. Prior to publication in ~June a 1-3 sentence description of each game is posted directly to an internal list of buyers and then later to the Winsome Games mailing list (there is no website). Prior to this announcement, nothing is known about that year's collection. Buyers must buy the entire collection, or nothing. The entire collection typically sells out in small single digit hours. The price is $150 in a USPS money order mailed to Winsome Games, or cash at Essen Spiele. No other payment forms are accepted. Mail-order buyers must have a USA mailing address; international orders are not supported. A buyer that reserves a copy (eg says, "I'll take one, cash on the way") but does not send then send the money is permanently removed from the list and will not be able to buy the collection in future.

Physically the games are packed in a set of ~3 Placon boxes. One game per box, but typically with the expansions mixed in with the games. Examples of the form:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the info, JC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
The price is $150 in a USPS money order mailed to Winsome Games, or cash at Essen Spiele. No other payment forms are accepted. Mail-order buyers must have a USA mailing address; international orders are not supported.

This is not entirely true. Mail-order buyers can also have a European address. The price is €150 for the set, including shipping. I'm not sure about other countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
RvdH83 wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
The price is $150 in a USPS money order mailed to Winsome Games, or cash at Essen Spiele. No other payment forms are accepted. Mail-order buyers must have a USA mailing address; international orders are not supported.

This is not entirely true. Mail-order buyers can also have a European address. The price is €150 for the set, including shipping. I'm not sure about other countries.

Ahh, that's changed then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.