Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Borg: Own Faction Design, incl. Print Download rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nuc Nucit
msg tools
I like this game, maybe too much. However, I feel let down by the decision to put only three factions into the box. All to often the groups I'm active in reject the game because we are 1 player too much to play it.

Furthermore I really want to have a Borg faction.

So I made one up... here are the rules.
Next step building the material...
So long, please give feedback. I will give further insides about the rules and the synergy effects behind it later on.

Basic Goal: Make them feel hard without beeing overpowered, make as much references as possible.

The Borg

Printouts:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fy52bi5eecnyu23/AADr4_B1dmuFC5L7w...

Home System: Unicomplex Alpha, two production Nodes and one Research Node

Player Turn Card:

Culture Nodes are not buildable
Ships can be built for 2 Production each
No Hegemony Command

The Borg Console

Weapons / Shields
0+ 5
1+ 10 4 12
2+ 8 3 10
3+ 6 2 8
4+ 4 1 6

Resistance is futile
The Borg do not exchange Trade Agreements. However, they may allow other Ships to pass them even without holding a Trade Agreement.
The Borg can neither attempt Hegemony nor can other player in Borg Controlled Systems, they can be Invaded by other Players otherwise not allowed to do so.

To perfect ourselves
The Borg do not generate Culture thru Culture Nodes. Culture Nodes and Spots are regarded as Production Nodes/Spots when Controlled by the Borg. In the Building Phase, the Borg may buy Culture Tokens for 5 Research Tokens each.

The line must be drawn here: Military Advancement, one to be handed out to every other Player as face down finished Project before starting the game.
You may Exhaust one Command token to turn this card over after you lost Control of at least one Planetary System to a Borg Player.
When engaged in Space Battles against Borg involving a Fleet of yours destroy one Borg Ship before the first Round of Combat.

Fleets
Tactical Cube Fleet: 1 Strength: 8
Tactical Cube Fleet: 2 Strength: 8
Tactical Cube Fleet: 3 Strength: 8

Harvesting Prisma Fleet: 1 Strength: 4
While this Fleet Occupies a Developed System not Controlled by a Borg Player in the Recharge Stage take 2 Production and one Culture.

Science Sphere Fleet: 2 Strength: 4
When this Fleet Braves a Hazard, only roll for one of its Ships. You gain one additional Research.

Probe Fleet: 3 Strength: 1
If this Fleet enters another Player own Controlled Homeworld alone, gain one Culture and one Research

Advancements

Your culture will adapt to service us, Starting Advancement, Expansion
Take 1 Culture every time you annihilate a System. Take 2 Culture every time you Successfully Invade a System.

We’re the Borg, Starting Advancement, Exploration
Treat all Discovery Exploration Cards as Civilisation, Warp-Capable: Level One, Develop up to 1 Resource Node, in Priority Order.

They adapted, Cost: 4, Military, 1 Warp
From now on, if you win at least 3 Space Battles against another player your Shields Modifier is increased by one in Space Battles and Invasions against that specific Player. Use Warp Tokens facing that Player to count Space Battles won.

You Will Be Assimilated, Cost: 4, Expansion
Every time you win a Space Battle take 1 Production for every 2 Ships destroyed by you.

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own, Cost 5, Science, 1 Warp
Every time you Successfully Invade another Player, place a Research Token from your Pool on one of that Player’s completed finished Projects, you may treat this as one of your finished Projects from now on. Not including any Tokens on that Project.

Temporal Vortex, Cost: 4, Expansion, 1 Warp
You may attempt Cultural Hegemony by Exhausting one Command and giving up one of your Ships in Orbit. Roll a die without considering yours or the opponent’s Ascendancy but the Nodes present. If successful, you may give up another Ship present to take Control.

Transwarp Network, Cost: 4, Expansion, 2 Warp
You may treat Systems you Control as Adjacent to every other Systems you Control when using Impulse.

Unimatrix One, Cost: 3, Command
Destroy one of your Ships and gain one Culture once per Turn.

Borg Vinculum, Cost: 3, Science, 1 Warp
Take one Research in the Recharge Stage for every Space Station you Control.

Hyper Dimensional Awareness, Cost: 4, Science, 1 Warp, 1 Command
When you lost a Space Battle take one Research.

Assimilate Counterpart, Cost: 3, Espionage, 1 Warp
Every time you make First Contact with another Player take a Culture and a Research.

Regenerate, Cost: 4, Military
You may ignore the first Casualty in each Round of Space Battles and Invasion.

Omega Partical 010, Cost: 4, Military, 1 Warp
You may remove one Space Lane during your Command Phase where one of your Ships is present. This may make a System Floating again. You may never remove the last Space Lane attached to a System. Ships present may move to an attached System, owner's choice.

Cortical Node Implant, Cost: 4, Science
When completing an Advancement Project, including this one, place one of the Research Token used for completing it on another unfinished Project.

Focus on Prime Objective, Cost: 4, Command, 1 Warp
You may pass other Player’s Ship while moving Warp or Impulse. During your movement while you enter a Sector with another Player’s Ship present, all Ships of that Player present may Roll to Hit once, treated as being in Space Battle they engaged, you may not Roll to Hit yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The Borg: Own Faction Design
Two expansions are on their way so the game will soon be up to 5 players.

As for the Borg there are two other threads. The thing about Borg is in the theme. In TOS era well they were not even a thought but fluff wise they were not that powerful but when TNG came around they were neigh unstoppable. So I think the best way to thematically incorporate them is to make a them a turtle race. They start out just like the other empires but they gain strength before they move out into the alpha quadrant which they need to do in order to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raleigh of Borg
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. I cannot believe that there aren't a half dozen fan made factions for this game yet. Nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Great work! The difficult part is balance, I guess you'd just have to playtest it over and over and tweak it.

Nucit wrote:

Resistance is futile
The Borg do not exchange Trade Agreements. However, they may allow other Ships to pass them even without holding a Trade Agreement.
The Borg can neither attempt Hegemony nor can other player in Borg Controlled Systems, they can be Invaded by other Players otherwise not allowed to do so.

A little wordy for a command console, but you could eliminate the Trade Agreement part by simply not providing Trade Agreement cards for the Borg, then it becomes self evident. I would also tweak the part about movement, given the strengths of the Borg this could be a great opportunity for a weakness: the Borg can't prevent movement through their space. When it's not their turn (picture them all regenerating and ignoring the other players who they don't perceive as a threat) other players can freely move through their space, even attempting Hegemony / Invading systems directly without having to engage in a space battle with an orbiting cube first.

Quote:

To perfect ourselves
The Borg do not generate Culture thru Culture Nodes. Culture Nodes and Spots are regarded as Production Nodes/Spots when Controlled by the Borg. In the Building Phase, the Borg may buy Culture Tokens for 5 Research Tokens each.

This is a little similar to the Ferengi, I'd be more inclined to leave them able to build culture nodes but give them the ability to steal them from other players as a boost. Maybe a lost battle, regardless of damage, forces an opponent to hand over a culture token.

Quote:

Advancements
...snip...

All great suggestions, but it might be fun to explore the possibility of the Borg's advancements being entirely cobbled together from other players. Maybe they can replicate any completed technology from a player they have defeated in battle? I'm trying to think of an elegant way of expressing it, but it'd be cool if there were a third option for the Borg in battle; win, lose, or manage to capture one of their vessels (which would be harder in some way, and possibly the rival has the option of self destructing that ship) and then they get to replicate all finished technologies. You could even push it further and not give them any shield / weapon upgrades, and just say that if they capture a ship that has upgraded, that becomes the Borg's upgrade level as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuc Nucit
msg tools
DaveSumm wrote:
Great work! The difficult part is balance, I guess you'd just have to playtest it over and over and tweak it.

Thank you very much and... yeah so true.

DaveSumm wrote:

A little wordy for a command console, but you could eliminate the Trade Agreement part by simply not providing Trade Agreement cards for the Borg, then it becomes self evident.

I played with to many anal player to just let the cards out (I'm German) so everything needs to be written down. However, you have a point, I'll try to reduce wording as much as possible.

DaveSumm wrote:

...given the strengths of the Borg this could be a great opportunity for a weakness: the Borg can't prevent movement through their space.

I like that, will incorporate this.

DaveSumm wrote:

This is a little similar to the Ferengi, I'd be more inclined to leave them able to build culture nodes but give them the ability to steal them from other players as a boost. Maybe a lost battle, regardless of damage, forces an opponent to hand over a culture token.
...snip...

Giving them Culture Nodes and the abbility to steal culture would be a bit too much. I like the idea behind the Ferengi and by shifting it to research i would copy a mechanic i already know works. However, as i look thru the advancements there are already enough sources for Culture, so I might not give them the ability to buy culture at all. This would also reduce wording.

DaveSumm wrote:

...might be fun to explore the possibility of the Borg's advancements being entirely cobbled together from other players...

I like all the ideas you have and thought about some of them as well. So far there is an advancement allowing you to steal advancements of others. Giving them even more abilities in that direction might be very tricky as the rules for them need be lean still. I don't want to creat a rules monster but a faction inline with the other factions. Just breaking the game a bit to give it a new feel. The further i go this road the more difficult it becomes to keep them balanced.

All in all, thanks a lot for the great feedback. Helps a lot to get a feel about how they will be preceived in game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Quote:

Giving them Culture Nodes and the abbility to steal culture would be a bit too much.

Yea I think you're right, I was just trying to work a rule out of "your culture will adapt to service us". Really, the more you can channel the idea that the Borg take all their progression by force from other players (or civilisations they discover?) the more it fits. It's just a tough one to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuc Nucit
msg tools
Well it took some time but now it's done...

You can find the playing material for the inofficial Borg extension on Dropbox,link below.

The Files contain:
Fleets, Advancements, Player Board, Reference, Tokens, Space Stations and Starting Planet

I'm going to print mine out to have it ready for next week

Feedback wellcome!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fy52bi5eecnyu23/AADr4_B1dmuFC5L7w...

Teaser:

Playing material is in production. The models for Ships und Token are done and I will make copies with resin next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.