10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for GMless RPGs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lohnes
msg tools
new user
The people in my board game group either don't have the time or the skills to setup an RPG campaign. We are looking GMless RPG board game that is preferably has somewhat complex rules.

We have Shadowrun: Crossfire and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Any suggestions are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven would be the #1 recommendation. It is, essentially, a GMless RPG in a box. It will be out next year.

Other than that...

Sword & Sorcery will be out early next year.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also look at Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and use the excellent free app to do the GM / Overlord stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Possibly Encounters: Shadowrun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and its siblings Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I literally just posted a video about a game, Of Dreams & Shadows, that I called a DM-less RPG in a box. The only issue for you might be the complexity level. I don't see it as that complex.

BGG hasn't approved the vid yet but you can find it on my GeekList of vids, which is here. It's the last entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth has become a favourite which is surprising as it had a rocky start.
The people involved in its development and anyone who backed and believed in the game have helped it become very good indeed.

Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King is great fun in arcade mode. Beware the cuteness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Take a look at folklore the affliction. They're taking preorders until the end of December that will let you get all the Kickstarter bonuses. This game really really tries hard to put the rpg feel into a box. If you read through a scenario you'll see that they have you rolling checks and turning the page based on that check. One example would be learning that you can close coffins to destroy monsters rather than fighting them in a crypt or something. I'm super excited about this game.

I also agree that gloomhaven is a good choice, but I feel like folklore really pushes the rpg feel.

The boxed adventures from dungeons and dragons are just ok at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders is what you want, especially if you love 90's sci-fi and tactical combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.