Subject: Photography Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
So besides my typical hobby of gaming I've also been getting into doing more photography lately. I thought I would start a thread for everyone to showcase some of their works, and I can show off some of mine. I am sure we have some photography enthusiasts.

PLEASE: Can we keep this to only photo's taken by you? That would be awesome.

SO I'll start.

This on is my daughter. (105mm Micro f/2.8 Nikon 7100).

This on I got a weird Russian lens Helios 44-2 58mm f/2. I got this for the crazy Bokeh it creates. This macro didn't capture it, but I'm hoping to showcase some of that later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice photos!

The D7100 is a marvelous piece of equipment (I know, I had one - unfortunately stolen - and now have a D7200, which is essentially the same with a slight tweak towards higher ISO performance and some more minor details). Combined with a good glass it can create wonderful pictures.

To showcase some of mine (more could come later):
Nikon D7100, kit lens (18-105mm), 1/500s, f5.6, ISO 100, no flash

Nikon D7100, kit lens (18-105mm), 1/30s, f3.5, ISO 6400, no flash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done ^^^

Orion and Taurus (Southern Hemisphere style).
Also a eucalypt lit by passing headlights, and over-the-horizon light pollution from Melbourne, 75km away.
Olympus OMD EM5II, legacy Canon 28mm FDn @ F8. Not sure about exposure time because I stopped the shot as soon as the car turned the corner.

A steam engine aboard the PS Emmylou, Echuca.
Oly OMD EM5I, 14-42mm @ 16mm, f4, ½sec handheld
There were a lot of dud shots before I got a steady one - the vibration was so bad that a tripod made things worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
'Amateur' does not begin to describe my photography skills, but I enjoy trying. This one was taken by me while crossing the Stan Musial bridge in St. Louis sometime around 3 or 4 in the morning. I thought the one below came out with some appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb

Canon Ixus 100 IS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracking birds in flight at a bird show is extremely difficult. So I was shocked to see this picture in about 50 attempts.

And taking selfies is rather difficult when you are by yourself. I thought the mistake of triggering the camera with a radio controlled flash was amusing (yes, the light was superfluous).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Here is one I took this summer of my Dad and his baby sister. I took a lot of pictures during this trip, but I found this most touching. The look said it all. This was taken about 2 weeks before my Dad passed away, and his sister knew this would be the last time she would see him. It was a bit high in ISO as I had it at 1/4000 and it's a bit grainy. But I actually liked the effect.

50mm f1.8 1/4000 ISO6400 B/W

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
(scan of a print for this thread)
Ilford 400 B&W film
Pentax MZ-30 camera

I don't have the camera settings but my print was exposed for 7 seconds at f8, with a #4 filter, before I developed it in my darkroom:

My digital shots are done on a Canon Powershot A620 point and shoot (an easy to carry camera for vacation pictures).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
MABBY wrote:
(scan of a print for this thread)
Ilford 400 B&W film
Pentax MZ-30 camera

I don't have the camera settings but my print was exposed for 7 seconds at f8, with a #4 filter, before I developed it in my darkroom:

Ahhh, nice! My next foray is film. I have a Nikon F Ftn that I am going to start shooting with. I should have some shots soon. What kind of scanner do you use to covert to digital. Do you scan negatives, or the final prints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Ahhh, nice! My next foray is film. I have a Nikon F Ftn that I am going to start shooting with. I should have some shots soon. What kind of scanner do you use to covert to digital. Do you scan negatives, or the final prints?

I used an old, cheap HP combination scanner/ printer for that.
I scanned the final print.

I just tried; a direct scan of the negative (on my printer) is garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I used an old, cheap HP combination scanner/ printer for that.
I scanned the final print.

I just tried; a direct scan of the negative (on my printer) is garbage.

Years ago I bought an Epson 4490 photo scanner. It is a flat bed scanner with a 35mm film/negative carrier and a 35mm slide carrier. I didn't do much with it as my attention was being diverted to a lot of war gaming and competitive shooting. Just not enough time, energy or money to do everything. This post got me to go look for it. It's still in a trash bag under my bed for storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Also because this is chit chat, I give nods to cats.

Nikon 70-210mm F4 ISO5000 Aperture Priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyoto boatman:

Dragonfly:

From my balcony:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what I'm doing, but I do enjoy trying. I noticed this little guy hanging around on the gate leading to my backyard one evening. Luckily he stayed put until I was able to grab my camera (Canon t2i)

And another taken a few years ago in Cape May, NJ

(Edited to add the second pic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photography is my main hobby besides boardgaming. During the fall and spring I try to get out into the woods at least once a week. Still working on my winter habits. All photos taken with a Canon 6d. I don't have the settings right now.

My favorite photo of my son, taken last fall.

Silver dollar flowers

Taken last week

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Love all of these photos!

This is something I enjoy, as well. But, I do not have any type of camera, settings, etc. I use my phone and I love messing around with all of the different filters that are available. I truly dig the results I get (Photos have been taken over the past year).

Ed, Ian, and I

An old Church in perhaps Edgerton, WI

Self Portrait

My backyard on a summer morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thought I'd show off a few of my Macro experiments. As always, feedback is welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like #3 the best.

Your best one so far is your daughter's photo. Movement, interest, expression, exposure, everything works and keeps me interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I like #3 the best.

You're best one so far is your daughter's photo. Movement, interest, expression, exposure, everything works and keeps me interested.

Well, then you are in for a treat, as I have a ton of my kids coming in later posts.

Like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Thought I'd show off a few of my Macro experiments. As always, feedback is welcome.

In these two I feel the focus was missed, just slightly off of the object of interest (the body of the butterfly and the bee itself). Not too easy with macro shots.

Did you use the D7100? Cause its 51 focus points (a single point thereof, I mean) make it a breeze to select the best one quickly and/or recompose slightly (if you are in a hurry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Joeyeti wrote:

In these two I feel the focus was missed, just slightly off of the object of interest (the body of the butterfly and the bee itself). Not too easy with macro shots.

Did you use the D7100? Cause its 51 focus points (a single point thereof, I mean) make it a breeze to select the best one quickly and/or recompose slightly (if you are in a hurry).

Yeah, the butterfly more so. Thing about micro with bugs, is they are always moving. It was less about focus, than a REAL shallow depth. I probably need to stop up a notch for less depth, and better focus....I'm a bokeh whore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, Photography thread! Subscribed

I don't get to take many photos for leisure these days, but I do take photos for families from time to time.

Here is one from yesterday that I quite like. (although I will probably edit out the round "cover", as much as it pains me to use photoshop shenanigans)

Lovely photos, Chapel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more.

This guy was scheming to steal my bagel as I was having breakfast outside one morning.

And one from the zoo in Cape May

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Schwartzkopf wrote:

Here is one from yesterday that I quite like. (although I will probably edit out the round "cover", as much as it pains me to use photoshop shenanigans)

Lovely photos, Chapel!

Thanks!

The rocks in that picture makes for a really nice effect. It's like swirly bokeh, without the bokeh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Rainbow lorikeets, Adelaide. OMD EM5I, 40-150mm @ 150mm f8 1/320 ASA 200.

Elephant, Melbourne Zoo. OMD EM5I, 100-300MM @ 220mm, f6.7 1/180 ASA 200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.