Subject: dead of winter base or the long night? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
Been looking at getting Dead of Winter for a little while now. I have played the original once with a group, but not sure how often I will play with that group. I thought if I bought the long night we could have both for next time though. But if I am playing with another group, or just my brother, would the long night by itself be as good? So, my questions are:

1) What are the differences between them?
2) Is one better than the other as a stand alone game?
3) Does one of them play better than the other as a 2 player game?
4) If I am only buying one of them, which should I get?
5) If I buy one of them, is it really beneficial to own the other one too?

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but my limited search knowledge didn't come up with a direct comparison between the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.com/2016/09/dead-of-winter-long...

This reviewer doesn't much like Dead of Winter, but does have a good comparison of the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
I would get Long night. Its my understanding that they are more or less the same, except Long night has added optional gameplay modules.
Also, those modules will properly spice up a somewhat dull 2 player game vs the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you Josh. I will give it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Silker
msg tools
The long night includes a base version of Dead of Winter +3 modules u can plug in to mix it up a bit. including bandits, a science lab with crazy zombin types and weapons, and the ability to build improvements to ur settlement, like turrets and such.

The cards In the modules are all separated by little symbols on the bottoms of the cards so you know what to take out to just play the base game. Also, some of the components are slightly upgraded for example the locations are now solid boards instead of just paper cards.

All around the last night is an upgrade and the only reason to bother with the original is if you REALLY like the game and just want more of the cards. sorry I'm on mobile so my typing is terrible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
msg tools
There are forums specifically for Dead of Winter base and Dead of Winter TLN.

Check there, since this question gets asked quite a bit! My own take, since we're both here and you're asking...

TLN has more options but less depth in each. For example, the base game has 30 survivors. TLN has 20. The base game has many more crossroads cards and secret objective cards (good and betrayer), and I believe it has more scenario cards too (colony objectives).

TLN also has a different metagame and difficulty level. The base game is really, really, really, ridiculously difficult. TLN is "only" really difficult.

If you haven't played either before, I would lean towards recommending the base game for replayability reasons (more survivors means you won't find all of them in two plays). However, if your gaming group isn't fond of brutal difficulty, where I believe the designers said their intended win rate for the good guys is 30%... then I would recommend TLN. The experience is the same, but you won't get your teeth kicked in while you're being assaulted from all angles. You don't even need to play with the fancy new stuff for the first few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Tullis wrote:
Also, those modules will properly spice up a somewhat dull 2 player game vs the original.

What is this about ? I'm interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Found this description on G&S if you want to know about the modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.