Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

like a lot of you I am joining the Secret Santa gift exchange and I can't wait to make someone happy with a nice gift.
I would also like to make it easier for my santa by expanding my wishlist.
Since Essen was only a month ago most of the games on my list were either bought or removed from the list.

So what do I like in a game?

1. solo/ 2-player possibility (I never buy 3-x player games).
2. Eurogames
3. Eurogames with a theme that makes sense (The Gallerist, Great Western Trail, Kanban, Vinhos, Alchemists)
4. games that feel like a puzzle (Alchemists, Letters from whitechapel)
5. Heavy games that are easy to grasp (Again like The Gallerist / Kanban)
6. Yes I'm a Vital Lacerda fan
7. I like realistic science themes so that can be a plus.
8. Having the feeling of building something, growing better every turn

Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeira
Compounded (not sure how it plays with 2)
Grand Austria Hotel
The Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark
Scythe

Those are the two that jump out at me other than the ones you previously mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
Lewis & Clark
Scythe

Those are the two that jump out at me other than the ones you previously mentioned.

great reccomendations, too bad I own both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not see any What's Your Game? published games in your collection. I highly recommend any of the ones I have played, my personal favorite being ZhanGuo. Nippon and Madeira are close behind in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised you do not already own Dungeon Petz, as it is one of the most thematic Euro games I've come across. It definitely has a sense of development (for example: your pets grow and taking good care of them definitely requires some planning).

Based on your info and/or the ratings in your collection I'd also look into La Granja, Glass Road and Imperial Settlers (although that last one is not as heavy, looking at other games you rate highly I think it should be included, it is at its best with 2 players, has a solo mode and you grow and develop every round). Each of these 3 can be played solo and with 2 players

I also think you should look into more games designed by Stefan Feld, although his themes are often kinda pasted on, his mechanics seem to fit your gaming tastes very well. For example, you could look at Luna, Bora Bora, AquaSphere, Trajan and Macao. Each of these has different mechanics. Luna includes a nice solo mode with the game, a lot of the others have good solo variants posted on the geek. They are all good with 2 players.

Deduction for just 1 or 2 players is harder to find, but you could look at Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for a heavier solo game (can also be played with 2, but many people including me prefer it solo). It's a very different type of game, so check to see if it's for you. For a 2 player deduction there's a few to consider, probably all a bit lighter than you usually prefer though. They are: Inspecteur Hoogstraten: Kruisverhoor, Commissioner Victor: The lost painting case, 10' to Kill and Mr. Jack/Mr. Jack Pocket/NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game (I wouldn't want to own more than 1 of those last 3, so I'd say pick your prefered one)

Finally you might consider Hawaii, Sapiens and The Voyages of Marco Polo. Neither of these 3 has an official solo mode, by the way. Sapiens feels quite puzzly and both Hawaii and Sapiens feel heavier with 2 players than with higher player counts, at higher player counts I think they can feel more random. I haven't played Marco Polo with only 2 players, but BGG user poll says it's definitely recommended for just 2 players and due to the various roles requiring different strategies there's a lot of replayability in the box.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.