12 Posts

Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift» Forums » General

Subject: Considering buying but have a couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was considering buying this game and I'm pretty sure I will do (Especially after seeing the game is designed by the person who designed Phantom League (one of my favourite games)) but first I have some small questions.

How fleshed out is the campaign in this? Is it simply a series of narratively connected missions? Or do characters level up and get new gear?

Next question: How replayable is this meant to be? There's only 6 missions if what I heard is right, does this mean replay value is low?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign is a series of connected Mission. You will Level down, yes down, from mission to Mission.

You try to avoid as many wounds as possible and for that alone, I really love this unique game.

The replay value depends on your success. We tried the first Hideout Mission for the 8th time (on hard) and haven't won it yet.

So according to my experience there is a Lot of value here.

But get the full bundle. You will need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Vermeersch
Belgium
ghent
Select..
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there!

As mentioned above, all the missions are connected. In Scenario 1 you may need to rescue someone, while in Scenario 2 you need to get out (starting where you left off in Scenario 1) and in Scenario 3, you're stuck and need to find a certain exit, which leads to a different scenario depending on the exit you choose.

Treasures that you find and wounds that you collect, will be kept around from mission to mission.

There's far more than just 6 missions, you're probably talking about the optional expansion the Hideout or Witches grotto. In total (both Standard, Hard and the two expansions) there are about 34 missions. These can all be used for a one shot game, but in the campaign, you will not see all scenarios.

They come in two variants (Standard and Hard) and what I really like, is that Standard and Hard are different. Not just the same missions with more enemies, harder enemies, less stats or something, but full fledged scenarios on their own with different starting points, different enemies, different disadvantages, different goals,...

All missions are fairly replayable as you can try different tactics, different hero setups, different variants (included in the rulebook).

There's quite a lot of bang for you buck here . If you read the rulebook and you and your mates are into the mechanics, definitely go the full monty and buy the Gamer's Bundle, which I did, which has a LOT more stuff than just the base game (although that's good too).

Dungeon crawl surprise of the year for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add up to both comments before me, the campaigning part of the game is really simple and intuitive. Regarding the scenario part, it relies on leveled and linked scenarios, which have you exploring deeper and deeper layers of the overall dungeon. It is like a very distilled, to the point, bleak and visceral, but strangely evocative, "get to the bottom of it" dungeon pattern. Think Temple of the Elemental Evil, or Dungeon Master, for the king of trip you're aiming for.

Then there is the character's (and the opposition's!) evolution. It is really simple and intuitive. There are no XP and things like that. There are two ways your character evolve. The first one is very traditional : gearing up with items you find in the dungeon. You can keep the items you find from one scenario to the next. The other way your character will evolve is through the changes of its deck of cards. You will tend to accumulate Wound cards, which will cripple your character. But you will also get to add powerful Victim cards to it, each time you rescue a victim from the cult. All those changes to your deck are definitive (well, except if you benefit from an effect which allow you to remove those wounds from your deck, which is basically possible between campaigns, but comes at a price).

Conversely, the Response deck, which basically boosts your foes during the game, will get more powerful with each Victim you let die, adding a powerful victim card to it. The changes to the overall threat level of the dungeon, which determines how many cultists and demons appear with a single spawn action, will also affect the whole campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sounds very interesting so far and I liked the look of the rules a lot when I read them earlier today. I generally like dice in my games but this system does diceless in a way that makes it look worthwhile. Some extra questions:

A) Does the publisher/designer plan to support the game post-launch with new content?

B) Where does it ship from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to your question A):

The base game is the first installment. Soul Spire is the next of the planned trilogy. Soul Spire will be a more advanced experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalmari Ruokojärvi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A) Sebastian got you covered already, but yes, we do plan to do so indeed.
B) Provided that you'll get your copy directly from Dragon Dawn Productions and you want it to be shipped to UK, most likely from UK. Or from Germany if the UK stockpile dries as soon as it gets there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
shogekiha wrote:
I was considering buying this game and I'm pretty sure I will do (Especially after seeing the game is designed by the person who designed Phantom League (one of my favourite games)) but first I have some small questions.

Thanks for complements. Make me want to try to deliver even more.

Quote:
How fleshed out is the campaign in this? Is it simply a series of narratively connected missions? Or do characters level up and get new gear?

Next question: How replayable is this meant to be? There's only 6 missions if what I heard is right, does this mean replay value is low?

Even if my view could be considered biased, I'd say that you'll notice that the 21 scenarios of the basic box already cover *a lot* of play time.
It is not typical that you managed to complete every scenario on first attempt. Especially the ones marked as 'hard' really ARE hard and might take quite a lot succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the answers. On payday I'll buy the whole thing and get everything. I'm assuming there aren't any KS exclusives? It's fine if there are, I'll just hunt them down later.

And yes, Phantom League was actually the game that got me into modern tabletop gaming beyond miniatures games. I'm super happy to see you're still creating, Timo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
shogekiha wrote:
Thanks for all the answers. On payday I'll buy the whole thing and get everything. I'm assuming there aren't any KS exclusives? It's fine if there are, I'll just hunt them down later.

No worries. When our new shop appears you should be able to buy everything, we have some dozens of full copies left.

Quote:
And yes, Phantom League was actually the game that got me into modern tabletop gaming beyond miniatures games. I'm super happy to see you're still creating, Timo!

Wow. I'm impressed - very happy to hear.
I have no intentions of stop creating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a timeline for the shop to be online? Will it ship in the US or only in EU?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
murteas wrote:
Is there a timeline for the shop to be online? Will it ship in the US or only in EU?

We believe we'll get the new shop online within NOvember 2016.
We will make separate shop for EU and US, as we have different quantities of items on each warehouse. Naturally prices are also respective currencies, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.