Hide
10 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Please Change Node Colors! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corban Caldwell
msg tools
Maybe i'm being too picky but to have that many colors for nodes is ridiculous. Dark Souls is not known for rainbows, they have color palettes that fit well together. the orange is an acceptable color or a gray would work. I don't understand the need for more than one color. it distracts from the tile art more than anything. as long as the specific nodes (basic, terrain, boss, mini-boss,and enemy spawn) have different designs it should be fine. at the very least if you're going to have many colors, have them be dark souls colors. like, why is there purple? orange and red are at least in the same warmth of colors but purple....

P.S. if you don't know what i'm talking about please refer to update #87 on their kickstarter page. also, if that's not the final design choice but was just used as an example in the diagram to clarify where the nodes were then please ignore this post altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems they chose function over form, with function being (1) fast/easy to distinguish and (2) colourblind friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
These colours were chosen to help the colourblind see the distinct nodes that are used during gameplay. To change them to satisfy another persons aesthetic whim is a pretty selfish request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramsar
Belgium
flag msg tools
I understand the rationale behind the colours, but would have preferred more toned down colours and more distinctive shapes instead (round, oval, square,...). Now the node colouring is very detrimental to the 'dungeonesque feel' of the tiles imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Purple, Yellow, and Red aren't exactly that bright and colorful. Especially because I assume those barrel models are going to cover up the purple ones. I'm a huge fan of the Dark Souls and it looks like they chose appropriate colors.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/014/475/144/db4f2098d6614bf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corban Caldwell
msg tools
Im not understanding the colorblind arguement... the nodes are different symbols so anyone can distinguish between them, as for the color how does adding more colors affect how colorblind people see them? if all the nodes were orange and someone were colorblind to that then could they not see the orange nodes anyway no matter if there are purple ones or red ones on the board as well? apologies if i seem insensitive but i dont understand this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirCaldwell98 wrote:
Im not understanding the colorblind arguement... the nodes are different symbols so anyone can distinguish between them, as for the color how does adding more colors affect how colorblind people see them? if all the nodes were orange and someone were colorblind to that then could they not see the orange nodes anyway no matter if there are purple ones or red ones on the board as well? apologies if i seem insensitive but i dont understand this.

I'm guessing you dont understand how colorblindness works?

Most colorblind people can see color to some degree. Colors they can't see change or are grey, but different colors will appear as different shades of grey and be distinguishable from each other.

Color + shape is going to be easier for EVERYONE to differentiate on the fly, vs just shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corban Caldwell
msg tools
ok thankyou, this helped clarify things. i agree that the purple makes sense because its hidden under objects that wont move around the board. But i just have to ask... if everything were gray and had different designs would that mean that everybody colorblind or not would see the same shade of gray on the board and the same designs as everyone else. not being arrogant here i'm just asking. I've never been involved with anyone colorblind so it never crossed my mind to take that into account when presenting my request. it seems blatantly obvious now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirCaldwell98 wrote:
ok thankyou, this helped clarify things. i agree that the purple makes sense because its hidden under objects that wont move around the board. But i just have to ask... if everything were gray and had different designs would that mean that everybody colorblind or not would see the same shade of gray on the board and the same designs as everyone else. not being arrogant here i'm just asking. I've never been involved with anyone colorblind so it never crossed my mind to take that into account when presenting my request. it seems blatantly obvious now.

Yep it was obvious you were just asking, and frankly I don't understand the accustion that you were being selfish.

In any case, making components colour-blind friendly seems to be the norm in board games, as far as I can tell. You're quite correct that using different shapes would make the nodes accessible to all, however different shapes AND colours would be quicker to identify at a glance.

As for opinion; as long as the colours don't detract, I think it's good form to try to be inclusive of colourblind people, especially when designing key components (dice, resources, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My apologies then if it was genuine misinformation, I mistook your post for wanting change over other peoples enjoyment as I have seen the developers talk about the colourblind issue a few times now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.