Specter Ops» Forums » General

Subject: Hunter combinations - What do you suggest?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game 4 times (1 of those games was 4 player which I didn't like very much, the rest were 3 or 2 players).

I really enjoy the 3 player experience. I don't think the game was fun with 4 although it could have been who I was playing with. These just seemed to be more downtime. I don't imagine 5 players being fun, but then again it has the traitor element to it so who knows!

Anyways, my group and I have seen all the agents and hunters in action. The Beast - Prophet combo seems to be a popular choice. I think The Gun seems pretty good although nobody else seems interested in using her. Maybe the idea of sniping doesn't appeal to people. Not really sure how to make the most of her abilities. We assume you just patrol roads and long corridors where the agent is likely to cross, but it's not hard for the agent to get around her, and then she has to play catch up to try and re-position in a spot where she will be useful again.

One hunter we aren't crazy about is the Puppet. He seems to be the least useful. The idea of him being able to use the motion sensor and move the car remotely SOUNDED good initially, but when I played as him it didn't seem to work as well as I thought. Giving other hunters a ride is inefficient because of the getting in/out of the car costing a movement.

I would be interested to hear from people what hunters and combos they like to use and why? Also, if people could offer some strategy suggestions as to how to make the most of the hunter's abilities, especially the Puppet that would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I've played this game 4 times (1 of those games was 4 player which I didn't like very much, the rest were 3 or 2 players).

I really enjoy the 3 player experience. I don't think the game was fun with 4 although it could have been who I was playing with. These just seemed to be more downtime. I don't imagine 5 players being fun, but then again it has the traitor element to it so who knows!

Anyways, my group and I have seen all the agents and hunters in action. The Beast - Prophet combo seems to be a popular choice. I think The Gun seems pretty good although nobody else seems interested in using her. Maybe the idea of sniping doesn't appeal to people. Not really sure how to make the most of her abilities. We assume you just patrol roads and long corridors where the agent is likely to cross, but it's not hard for the agent to get around her, and then she has to play catch up to try and re-position in a spot where she will be useful again.

One hunter we aren't crazy about is the Puppet. He seems to be the least useful. The idea of him being able to use the motion sensor and move the car remotely SOUNDED good initially, but when I played as him it didn't seem to work as well as I thought. Giving other hunters a ride is inefficient because of the getting in/out of the car costing a movement.

I would be interested to hear from people what hunters and combos they like to use and why? Also, if people could offer some strategy suggestions as to how to make the most of the hunter's abilities, especially the Puppet that would be awesome!

I read somewhere, and completely agree, that your best bet is an attacker and supporter combo. Beast (A) and Puppet (S) is my favourite combination; the gun is the other attacker and Prophet the other supporter.

I've played this a lot and I think the Puppet is the stronger support hunter. Yes, you can drive the car around remotely which occasionally could be helpful *Edit- it's more likely, and efficient, to move the car around when there's no-one in it. This can be very helpful if the Hunters have got pulled away from the car and it will take a while to get back to it* ; however, I think the main power is that the Agent will never know if you're about to use the remote sensor. This is so significant; if you're playing without the puppet then the Agent will always have a good idea of whether or not you're going to remote sense him. It tends to be really obvious- the hunter spends their previous turn getting into the car. What do you think they're going to do next? Either move the car, or use the sensor. If you're using the Puppet, you can bluff them, scare them into moving more slowly in case you're going to use the sensor...

I think there are 2 main ways to play this game as the Agent; quietly sneak and try not to be found, or blaze through the Hunters by attacking them and speed towards objectives. The Puppet very usefully makes the sneaking strategy more difficult because the Agent never knows when they should move 3-4 and when they should move more slowly.

I prefer the Beast over the Gun because I think the 'sniff' and moving 5 spaces are just too valuable- much better than the Gun abilities in my opinion.

I prefer the Puppet over the Prophet because although you know that an objective will be completed next round, you don't get any more info. Unless you're having a shocking game as the Hunters, you will probably know the rough whereabouts of the Agent. I also find it less than helpful to know where the Agent was 2 turns ago- I would argue that the Prophet is only useful if you're having a terrible game and you'd be better of with the Puppet's abilities making it less likely that you'll have a terrible game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley van der Burg
msg tools
sneakypete21 wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

It tends to be really obvious- the hunter spends their previous turn getting into the car. What do you think they're going to do next? Either move the car, or use the sensor. If you're using the Puppet, you can bluff them, scare them into moving more slowly in case you're going to use the sensor...
e.

Excellent post, but I just wanted to point out that a hunter can move into the car and use the motion sensor in one turn, unless I have misread the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the hunter cannot move into the car and then use the motion sensor. From my understanding, a hunter's turn consists of movement then action. As soon as a hunter moves into or out of the car that ends the movement portion of the hunter's turn.

In the rules section for the car it specifically says that the car cannot both move and use the sensor in the same round. Also, either the hunter can move or the car not both....so.... if the hunter moves into the car then his movement portion ends so I don't think he can then use the sensor.

If I'm wrong please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley van der Burg
msg tools
shooshoo wrote:
I'm pretty sure the hunter cannot move into the car and then use the motion sensor. From my understanding, a hunter's turn consists of movement then action. As soon as a hunter moves into or out of the car that ends the movement portion of the hunter's turn.

In the rules section for the car it specifically says that the car cannot both move and use the sensor in the same round. Also, either the hunter can move or the car not both....so.... if the hunter moves into the car then his movement portion ends so I don't think he can then use the sensor.

If I'm wrong please let me know.

I understand what you mean, but I interpret the rules as such: The car cannot move and use the motion sensor on the same turn.
This indicates that moving the car and sensing with the car are two separate actions.
When you get in the car you cannot move it since your movement has ended, but you can still do different actions, such as using the motion sensor (because that is not a movement).

Of course, if somebody else has moved the car on the hunters turn before you got in, you cannot use the motion sensor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WesselB wrote:
sneakypete21 wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

It tends to be really obvious- the hunter spends their previous turn getting into the car. What do you think they're going to do next? Either move the car, or use the sensor. If you're using the Puppet, you can bluff them, scare them into moving more slowly in case you're going to use the sensor...
e.

Excellent post, but I just wanted to point out that a hunter can move into the car and use the motion sensor in one turn, unless I have misread the rules.

That is incorrect. Some things weren't made 100% clear in the rules so there are FAQs that cover most unclear matters.

"Q. Can a hunter enter the vehicle and use the motion sensor in the same turn?
A. No, the hunter must start their turn in the vehicle to use the motion sensor."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley van der Burg
msg tools
Thanks for the heads-up! I indeed misinterpreted that.

Makes the puppet a must have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played this only four times and in those games the car really doesnt get used a lot. Initially the sensor is used to find out which side of the board the agent went to but other than that it mostly just sits there.

One game i was the puppet and i tried using it almost every turn and it didnt work out too well. Im not sure how valuable the car is, or justhow i should be using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Ive played this only four times and in those games the car really doesnt get used a lot. Initially the sensor is used to find out which side of the board the agent went to but other than that it mostly just sits there.

One game i was the puppet and i tried using it almost every turn and it didnt work out too well. Im not sure how valuable the car is, or justhow i should be using it.

Well every group will play this differently, but a good agent would absolutely necessitate you using the car. Once they get away from you you can't catch up without it. If the agent drags you away from the vehicle then you're in big trouble. You'll probably need to use the motion sensor later in the game because you're bound to lose track of the agent occasionally. By repositioning the car you get more helpful readings.

However, you definitely shouldn't use the car every turn, just try not to get separated from it. Another reason the Puppet is so useful is that if you do get pulled away from the car then it's a hell of a lot quicker for the Puppet to bring the car to you than the reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.